Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Realistic Water, 16 fl oz
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on March 15, 2012
Works very well with minimal work. Simple directions that yield great results. Takes a little while to dry, but well worth the wait.

Update for clarification:
Three things you should know that my husband did not realize when I gave it to him:
1.Do not shake the container--as you shake it, it heats and could start to harden in the bottle;
2.The viscosity of this stuff is not very high, so the best thing to do is add one thin coat at a time to avoid making a mess (Note: when we say thin, we mean less than 5mm or 1/4 in, closer to 3mm or 1/8 in)--think similar to polyurethane coating;
3.DO NOT put this stuff directly on styrofoam. It is primarily used for model railroad terrain and not historical miniature terrain. You can use it on the styrofoam hexes, but you will have to seal the styrofoam first with a really good water-based paint or a thin but uniform coating of elmer's glue. If the artificial water seeps through a blotchy coating, it will dissolve standard styrofoam hexes. I also recommend using more applications of thinner layers if you try this on sealed styrofoam, just to make sure that you don't have any runoff seeping down the edge of the hex.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2008
Adding water effects to a diorama takes it to the next level. Lots of different products like casting resin look great but are labor intensive (adding and measuring catalyst) but this product is simple: pour and let it dry. Non-toxic and easy to use.
If you make dioramas and want to add water this is perfect. Looks great when completed and is easy to work with. Just pour it in 1/8 inch layers and wait 24 hours between pourings.
on August 17, 2015
This stuff is awesome but it took a long time for it to dry. I wanted to fill a half in deep area in my layout to make a pool and had to pour many small layers over a 2 week timeframe to cover it. Even having done that it still took a month or so before it was safe to touch it without leaving an impression. The end result is awesome though. Really love how it looks with the water fall made from the water effects.
review image
on December 5, 2015
We have been trying for years to create realist water in our Christmas Village and finally stumbled upon this, this year.
It does get any better that this, it did the job perfectly. The picture is the proof .......
review image review image
on April 15, 2014
Be sure to have a clean surface. Be sure to have a climate controlled environment. Be sure your surface area is LEVEL!! This stuff moves slowly and will gather in the lowest area. I ended up using two bottles. Let the first one dry COMPLETELY. If you do, it will look good. Good luck! Be patient.
on July 26, 2013
I usually like about all the woodland scenic products but Realistic Water is not their best. I think its way too expensive first. When I poured it into a small bowl it came out pretty thick. The only way I can describe it is like the old children's toy Slime only sort of a milky clear color. I mixed a little pea green acrylic paint with it. I then slowly poured a little into my area. I waited a few seconds to see if it would move but no, so I had to push it out to the edges with a soft wide brush. If your base has ANY dips or slight valleys it will show through. Also don't mess with it after about 10 minutes. After about 30 minutes it will start shrinking and show a few weird little (looks like pin pricks). My first coat I stayed the course and didn't even close to 1/8 inch. I had to do ALLOT of touch up with this stuff and it looks okay like a swampy bog. But, I think most people will be VERY disappointing with this stuff, its time consuming and takes a LONG time to dry. I did my last touch up coat and am going to wait it out all weekend. I would use a different technique on a pond. I am thinking use a pain of glass and slightly mist one side with a dark tint then build your pond wall around it and over the glass edges. I HIGHLY recommend don't waste your money on this product.
After Action Thoughts: Only pour a small layer on top, around 1/16". DO NOT mix acrylic paint in with it. Maybe a tiny amount of dye or food coloring at the most. Make sure your bottom is smooth. Do all your effects to the base by painting it. I would use Envirotex instead it is a two part epoxy and also don't go crazy with the layers. One is probably all you need. You are just going for a super shiny effect.
on January 17, 2013
"Realistic Water," by Woodland Scenics, was a very disappointing product. I bought it to use with two dioramas, one for puddles on a muddy road, the other for a jungle stream. I ended up conducting over 10, and I am not exaggerating (though I wish I was) experiments to try and get this stuff to work. I changed paints and inks I mixed it with, or just used it by itself, trying different sealers and base material along with different climatic conditions; however, after each experiment, some new problem developed. The trouble with "Realist Water" is:

1) Before even starting, it is expensive
2) When applying the product- it shrinks after application (even if you pour it under 1/8 inch)
3) It develops bubbles when curing
4) It develops an undulating surface around scenery
5) It is extremely susceptible to climactic conditions (too cold, too hot, too humid, too dry, too temperate- like Goldilocks with sort term memory loss)
6) It is very viscus and is hard to contain the poured section
7) and most disappointingly, it cracks creating very noticeable fissures all over the "water"

Though the product claims to be easy to use, the typical pour and go speel, after numerous experiments, I was not willing to use it for even a 4 inch long, 2 inch wide jungle stream. It even ruined my 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch mud puddles after it still managed to develop bubbles and shrunk into the depression. I sort of managed to cosmetically fix that diorama, good enough for sale but not for display. Honestly though, I am an artist here, not a scientist; I should be spending my time on the diorama, not trying to make this Frankenstein serum come to life. God knows what this stuff will do in the long term. So, looking at the positive side, I would only recommend this product to your nemesis at a modeling competition. By far the better options for realistic looking diorama water are resin compounds for furniture, glosses, varnishes or silicon putties, all available at your hardware store for at least half the price and with the entire home building industry to vouch for them. Unfortunately, "Realistic Water" only looks realistic when you leave it in the bottle.
on August 16, 2014
I wonder if I am the only one who has marred the surface of Realistic Water before it completely set. Here' how I handled the situation. Since the product is water soluble, I let it set up to just about dry. Before it completely dried, I put several drops of water on the surface and smoothed out the divots and scrapes with my fingers. Depressions were left, and after it totally dried, I added another thin layer of Realistic Water which leveled the surface and solved the problem. This is great product and very "realistic".
on March 18, 2011
It works like it says, is realistic, easy to use and looks great. I have no need or desire to look any further for my war-gaming river or water needs. It delivers on its promise, which is all I ever wanted.
on September 29, 2008
This product is great and its preformace was all that it claim to be I would use it again. its easy and dry over night.
AMAZON.COM