Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 22, 2012
This digital timer is silent and small. I use it for turning lamps on and off, and it has been working perfectly for the month or so that I have had it. The timer energy comes from the AC outlet, and there is a battery backup for times of power failure. (Unfortunately, I think most of us are familiar with the latter.) An important feature is that the after a power failure the battery is recharged by the unit and is ready for the next backup. Some timers use the battery power to run the clock and timer instead of the AC. Those timers require replacing batteries frequently, but not this one. It is nice that the timer program is retained during the power outage so that it does not have to be reprogrammed after each occurrence. Also, the design is such that when plugged into one side of a duplex AC outlet, it allows the other side to be used by another device, i.e. it does not block the other side of the the duplex outlet. IMO, this is an excellent product.
33 comments|303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2013
Both units arrived in working order. I hooked these up and followed the instructions on the included instruction sheet. However, it's missing some vital information that almost made me pull out my hair. In the included instruction sheet, it mentions setting the timer to "AUTO". It doesn't actually have a standalone "AUTO" mode. It has ON, AUTO ON, AUTO OFF, OFF. Here's what I learned doing my research:

OFF - Ignore pre-programmed settings and turn appliance OFF and stay OFF.
AUTO ON - Turn appliance ON now and remain ON until the next pre-programmed OFF setting time arrives.
AUTO OFF - Turn appliance OFF and remain OFF until the next pre-programmed setting arrives.

"AUTO OFF" is ultimately the feature you want to keep this on, if you're like me. I don't really need to override the settings and want my appliance to turn ON and OFF at my pre-programmed times. I tested this by changing the pre-programmed times within a minute or two of the current clock time. You should always test your timer by going to the ON setting to make sure the appliance turns on, then go to the AUTO OFF setting and leave it alone.

2 stars because I paid more than I would like if i'm going to have to research information that's missing from the manual. I do like that the batteries appear to recharge by itself.
4141 comments|706 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
Solved my dilemma after reading William Mok's review. After setting time, and programming the start/stop times (which I found were clear enough in the directions - not perfect but like a car or other clock), I wanted to test the light. I had read the instructions and it said "Auto" which is what I wanted. However, in pressing the + (Plus) button I seemed to get On, Auto On, Off, Auto Off. Then I began to agree with frustrated reviews. I scrolled through and found William Mok's post which clued me in. I _think_ it is actually slightly different than his writeup, but who knows. In the end, the _only_ thing screwy with Auto On, Auto Off is what happens on the first day when you test it. Read his review too, but I paraphrase it slightly different. His explanation though appears spot on and is pasted at the bottom.

On the timer you will see On, Auto On, Off, Auto Off - but there is really just On/Off, and Auto as far as results go. On / Off means - what do you want the appliance to do _this minute_ when you plug the timer into the wall. It's either going to be On or Off. Auto Indicator (text that says Auto) means whether the auto programming sequence is initiated. For me, what was confusing is I thought of it like a mechanical timer. If it is 8pm and the "ON" program time set to 7pm (and I have the Auto turned on) I'd expect the light to be "ON". However, it would only be "on" in Auto On mode. In Auto Off mode, it will be off until tomorrow at 7pm. Hopefully that makes sense. Again, seems to only affect your testing of the setup on day 1. If Auto is on (Auto On, Auto Off on the display) all future days will behave as expected. 4 stars because that is counter intuitive, and from reading reviews, probably cost the company a lot of money in returns. Would give it a 3, but they seem to be great otherwise (pending durability).

William's notes below:

OFF - Ignore pre-programmed settings and turn appliance OFF and stay OFF.
44 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2013
I was a little reluctant (at first) to order these, since several reviewers said their's didn't work. But for the price, I thought I'd take the chance. When I first set them up for my birds' full spectrum lighting, mine didn't work either. Thank goodness I carefully re-read the instructions and realized that although I had set the timers' on-off feature correctly, I had accidentally hit a wrong button in the process (easy to do, since it's the "+" feature) that overrides the timer. If your timer does not have "Auto" displayed on the bottom line, then your device will either be permanently "On" or "Off" (mine were "off") and it will appear as if the timers don't work. However, after I reset everything, (ensuring the Auto was displayed this time) these timers worked perfectly. Read the simple instructions ALL the way through, then set these up, and you shouldn't have any problems.
11 comment|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2015
I've got four of these little dudes, and love them. As others have mentioned, the intitial programming is a little tricky. Hat's off to the helpful reviewers who posted advice on programming. Here is an example of how I programmed mine.

Goal: Light ON at 8PM, OFF at 11:30 AM.
(1) Set current time (Hold SET for two seconds), use + and - to adjust time, be sure to pay attention to AM or PM!
(2) Program ON time - press PROG, display changes to 1 ON--.--, use + and - to change ON time to 8PM.
(3) Program OFF time - press SET, display change 1 OFF --.--, use + and - to change OFF time to 11:30 AM.
(4) MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! Press PROG to exit the programming phase (display will change to current time)
If, based on your ON/OFF settings, the light should be ON (right now), use + to togggle to AUTO ON. Conversely, if it should be OFF now, use + to toggle to AUTO OFF.

So, if the current time is 9 PM, then, based on your ON/OFF setting, the light should be ON, you use + to toggle to AUTO ON.

Anytime you press + during normal operation (the current time is showing), the unit will toggle between AUTO ON, AUTO OFF, ON, and OFF.
on September 15, 2014
Great device! Don't spend your money on special aquarium timers, they are bulky and worthless. I have this for my aquarium lights and for terrarium - what a relief and peace of mind! Very convenient and easy to use. Just set it up once and forget about switching on and off. I had it for about a year - works like a charm!
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 15, 2015
This is the best way for you to reset your Modem & Router automatically, once or twice per day.

The issue is that I got tired of manually switching on and off the Modem and the Router every so often specially during storming days / lighting.

So I installed one of these timers to reset both devices, in my case I opted to turn them off at 5:30 am and to turn them on at 6:00 am, eventually I will be changing the on/off times, until I find the best hours.

Possible I will include the second setting with one minute on/off difference, so I will reset it again sometime in the evening before I start streaming movies. You can have an on/off period with just one minute difference (ex on at 6:00 am, off 5:59 am).

The unit is very simple; it has only two on/off settings in a day, without specific dates. That is what it makes it so great; I didn’t have to switch between extensive menus and date selections for a simple on /off device.

The unit has a dedicated button to switch to daylight saving time, without having to enter the actual settings menu, Also it has a battery backup, so you will no loose the settings during a power failure, though this does not apply in my case since I have all plug-in in an UPS.

Below is the link for the product, you can download the manual and specs sheet all in PDF, I am sure that once you read it you will like the simplicity of the timer programming.

Update 7/22/15
I set a second setting to turn off at 10:59pm and to turn on at 11:00 pm, My router and modem are working great, 80% of my streaming problems are fixed with this automatic on and off , of both devices.

If you like my review, give it a thumbs up, thank you
on September 15, 2013
this thing worked great for about 5 months; I used it in a location to time off and time on a router. unfortunately, it just failed one day, and no longer turned the device on/off. it left the device in the off mode. the clock on the timer still worked; it just didn't turn device plugged into it on or off.
on November 4, 2015
A one-page instruction sheet crams in English, Spanish and French. As other reviewers have noted there is more missing than included in these instructions. Watched a youtube video where Swagdaddy proclaims "the timer comes with easy-to-follow instructions." Right, Swagdaddy.. That's why you had to make a video, an incomplete one at that.

Here's what purchasers need, as synopsized from previous reviews:

After setting time, and programming the start/stop times (which I found were clear enough in the directions - not perfect but like a car or other clock), I wanted to test the light. I had read the instructions and it said "Auto" which is what I wanted. However, in pressing the + (Plus) button I seemed to get On, Auto On, Off, Auto Off. In the end, the only thing screwy with Auto On, Auto Off is what happens on the first day when you test it.

On the timer you will see On, Auto On, Off, Auto Off - but there is really just On/Off, and Auto as far as results go. On / Off means - what do you want the appliance to do - this minute - when you plug the timer into the wall. It's either going to be On or Off. Auto Indicator (text that says Auto) means whether the auto programming sequence is initiated. For me, what was confusing is I thought of it like a mechanical timer. If it is 8pm and the "ON" program time set to 7pm (and I have the Auto turned on) I'd expect the light to be "ON". However, it would only be "on" in Auto On mode. In Auto Off mode, it will be off until tomorrow at 7pm. Hopefully that makes sense. Again, seems to only affect your testing of the setup on day 1. If Auto is on (Auto On, Auto Off on the display) all future days will behave as expected.

OFF - Ignore pre-programmed settings and turn appliance OFF and stay OFF.

Well, that was simple, eh? I waited on hold for 29 minutes at the Woods help line (800-561-4321: don't waste your time) listening to annoying product ads and being told how important my call was before being suddenly disconnected without ever speaking to a human.

Hope that helps.
on February 5, 2014
These two units work great for indoor uses. There can be some confusion about how to set it, but I will try to clear it up for you.

You can add an infinite # of programmed times to turn on/off (as far as I know; I only use 3). The directions on how to do this is simple and easy to understand in the accompanied pamphlet.

Here is the part that has many people confused from reading prior reviews; The device has 4 settings:

ON: permanently on (basically as if the device wasn't plugged into the socket and your cord was plugged into the wall socket directly)

Auto ON: The power is turned on at the moment you set it from "ON" to "Auto ON" and will turn off at the next programmed time that you set previously in the programmed settings.

OFF: permanently off (I use this setting when I'm not going to be using anything plugged into the device since I see little point in unplugging it)

Auto OFF: The power is turned off at first but will turn on at your next programmed time.

The key part to note is that your programmed time is in a set of 2 time points. Say you set it for 1:00pm and 5:00pm. If it is 12:00pm (noon) when you set the device, then:

Auto ON: The device will power until 1:00pm and turn off, then turn back on at 5:00pm until the next day at 1:00pm (or whatever your next programmed time is if you have more than 1)

Auto OFF: The device will not let any power through and will turn on at 1:00pm, then turn off at 5:00pm and remain off until the next programmed time.

^^If any of this confuses you, then just test it with a phone and phone charger and you can test yourself and rest assured (that's what I did). Hope this helps...