5.0 out of 5 stars Sold! I have switched for all my darks
Published on February 8, 2012 by Mom Shopper

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Marketing Department Inspiration - RIPOFF
First, the jug of detergent spilled all over the inside of the box so my entire shipment smelled like the heavy scent of this product. It is a floral scent, and very lasting. That's a plus or minus, depending on your point of view and tolerance for perfume.

Published on October 31, 2011 by K. Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Sold! I have switched for all my darks, February 8, 2012
This review is from: Woolite Darks Laundry Detergent, 50 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
People have compared ingredients, and said that they have nothing different than other brands, but I have seen a difference in my clothes. I have worn the same style of black, gap yoga pants for 3 years. I have several different pairs. In the 6 months that I have switched, I have noticed that my newer pairs have not faded one bit. And my older ones, while they still look older, and not gotten any worse, and my new ones should look at least that bad right? Anyways, this is not a scientific test, and I may actually have one of my kids do testing next year just out of curiosity...but for now, I am a believer. My black clothes never looked better.

One hint: Buy it at Costco. It is half the price for twice as much. Also, it goes on sale quite frequently, so stock up. And, I only use it for my darks, as it is still expensive. I use Tide for my whites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for light cleaning, December 11, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have washed a new pair of dark denim jeans with this about 10 times now, and they still are holding their color and looking pretty close to new. So, in that regard, I would say this is a very gentle cleanser and keeps clothing colorfast. It has a nice fresh scent that does not cling to the clothes, however, it will not properly deodorize more heavily soiled clothing. I threw my running clothes (dri-fit jacket and pants) in the wash with this detergent and they still had sweat odor. So, I would recommend it for clothes that need light washing, but not for anything heavy duty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using Woolite dark for years...., November 12, 2011
Justitia (Washington DC, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Woolite Dark for years for my dark cold water washes just as I use Dark Cheer for my dark warm washes.

The product seems to work. It is a little hard to tell because it is the "absence" of a phenomenon that is determinative.
I no longer get faded clothes -- you know, the washed out look of dark jeans, shirts, etc. So to me it says that it works. Moreover, the clothes don't become darker than they were originally -- everything comes out fresh and looking as close to new as possible.

I buy really high quality items and then I take very good care of them. Int the long run this is actually cheaper because though the clothes and other items cost more initially, they last so many years longer that on per year basis they actually cost less than cheaper brands that look worn out and frayed within a year.

Using Woolite - and using dark Woolite on the dark versions of my washables definitely contributes to their long life. Well worth the effort and the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the Extra Dark Care Woolite, November 10, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After years of using Woolite to hand wash delicates and knits, the product is a part of my normal laundry routine. In my house it is a trusted brand and since the humans in my household wear far more black and navy clothes than any other colors, anything that promises to prolong the dark colors is worth a try.

I tested it in an HE machine and used less than half of what was recommended and it cleaned well. I washed the clothes, as I usually do, using the gentle cycle and hung them to dry. I did not run an exhaustive test, just used it for a couple of weeks in my normal routine and have hopes it will maintain the dark colors longer. So far the results are good - the laundry clean and no notable color loss.

The liquid detergent was no darker in color than any of the other laundry detergents I use (Tide) so it isn't additional dye in the detergent helping to maintain the dark color of the laundry.

My only criticism is the scent. I do not mind the floral scent, but I do wish an unscented version was also available. When I finish the bottle, I will update the review if I encounter a noticeable degradation of color.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Marketing Department Inspiration - RIPOFF, October 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Second, I went straight to the Woolite website and downloaded the ingredient list of this product versus their "complete" detergent. The Complete version has an added detergent agent that is a mild brightener (bleach) that this Extra Dark lacks. But the Extra Dark has something the Complete lacks - dark blue dye. Dark dye, dark bottle, for dark clothing. There is no ingredient in this product that puts color IN, or keeps it in, or enhances it. It just lacks bleach.

It works like any other liquid detergent. But here is the ripoff part.

If you wash your dark clothing in ANY detergent that lacks bleach or "brighteners" you will get the same result - slower loss of color. I have been washing my black bath towels in Tide (without bleach) for years and years and they are still BLACK. My husband only wears black jeans. Same treatment and the color lasts a good long time. When I want to give a boost to light loads I add a scoop of OxyClean. So if you are worried about fading, avoid detergents with bleach. That's it.

If you want to pay more for a dark bottle, a dark liquid detergent, and the same ingredients as any liquid detergent that is not specifically formulated to bleach or brighten, go for it.

I give it two stars for being an overpriced, ordinary, non-bleaching liquid detergent that is being marketed as something special.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be "0" stars!, September 16, 2013
This product just did not work for me at all in any way! I purchased 2 black cotton T-shirts because I wear a lot of black and I wear the shirts under sweaters and other blouses. I had just used one of the shirts and had not found this product, yet. After about 5 months I found this Woolite product and thought I would give it a try, so I used it on the new black T-shirt that I had never worn before! After washing the second T-shirt for a few months in the Woolite, the Woolite shirt was gray and I do mean gray! The older shirt had faded some what but at least it was still black and I washed that one in All Free and Clear. This product just did not do what it was supposed to do for my needs and I wont buy it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Darks Dark. I Am Impressed!, November 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've done four loads of "dark" laundry using Woolite Extra Dark Care and there has been no noticeable fading or bleeding. Two new pairs of dark rinse and black jeans were turned inside out and washed four times along with a household's worth of dark socks, sheets, towels, a tablecloth and various shirts. Almost everything came out perfectly clean, except for the tablecloth which still retained a few grease spots (I did not pre-spot.) The main point is that the colors stayed bright and did not fade AND the items were cleaned adequately. My past experience with Woolite has been that it is gentle but it does not clean as well as a detergent such as Tide. I either hand wash delicate items using a small amount of Tide, machine wash delicate items in a mesh bag and hang to air dry or send them to be professionally dry cleaned. Non delicate, dark colored items eventually do fade after repeated machine washing and tumble drying. Woolite Extra Dark Care is a good solution for dark items that are not heavily soiled and stained.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it _does_ contain dyes, April 9, 2012
Extra Dark Care does contain a dye (or "colorant"), specifically "CI 61585". The ingredients can be found at the bottom of their website if you search for "I would like the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)". Compare to Woolite Complete which does not contain any colorants (or Woolite Extra Care which uses "Acid Blue 9" instead).

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps clothes looking newer, longer, March 9, 2014
SGC (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure if Woolite would be "strong" enough to clean my clothes (I'm a Tide-girl) but my clothing budget is getting smaller so I thought I'd switch and see if this would help fight the fading and "aging" that I was seeing in my clothes. I've been using it for a little over a year and it stands up to summer sweat, stains from "cooking accidents" (mostly grease splatters and stains from cherries and beets) and keeps my dark clothes looking good (and my black clothes don't fade nearly as fast as they have with other products).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting lint off of black clothing and keeping it off, March 28, 2014
I read on line about washing your clothes with this Dark Woolite to prevent lint from accumulating on blacks. It really works especially after a couple of washes. I also use vinegar in the rinse water. The combination of the two changes the charge on the fabric and hardly any lint sticks. Good detergent, too.

Woolite Darks Laundry Detergent, 50 Ounce