4.0 out of 5 stars Great word histories; lousy "art"
I love words and gravitate towards books about them.
Published on August 23, 2002 by R. Tiedemann

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
I bought this because a friend highly recommended it, but I don't find it interesting enough, to know the root of the word, but I think I really have to give it another chance to be perfectly fair.
Published 14 months ago by Debbie Jantz-Sell

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Word Mysteries and Histories: From Quiche to Humble Pie (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great word histories; lousy "art", August 23, 2002
I love words and gravitate towards books about them.
Here the authors explore the backgrounds of a variety of words from "paparazzi" to "teflon," "silhouette" to "zugzwang." Emphasis is on the mystery as well as the history of the words. Illustrations by Robert Moser, original wood carvings commissioned for this work, are sometimes macabre, always different. Much of the art work borders on the repulsive and the words aren't particularly unusual -- I found only 3 I didn't know and zugzwang was one of them.
But their histories are fascinating and, after all, that's what the book is about. I just wish they'd concentrated on the words and left out the "art" entirely.

Word Mysteries and Histories: From Quiche to Humble Pie
Word Mysteries and Histories: From Quiche to Humble Pie by Barry Moser (Paperback - Sept. 1987)
Used & New from: $0.01