Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WordGirl: Earth Day Girl
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on April 10, 2010
Like Martha Speaks and many of the other PBS shows Word Girl introduces 16 volcabulary words to reinforce word meanings in a fun and entertaining way. Word Girl (like Superboy) comes from another planet and gain her super skills such as flying, super strength and most importantly super brain power from being on earth. Just as Superboy had Krypto as a partner, Word girl has the monkey Captain Huggy Face. The 8 episodes on this DVD include one episode of each of the bad guys that appear in the opening credits and some that don't. One big different between Superboy and Word girl is that Word girl's ditzy family has no knowledge that their daughter and the identical Word Girl are the same person. Even her brother the president of the Word Girl fan club.

First we start off with the Earth Day episode with Birthday girl a misguided kid who thinks every day is her birthday and grows in size and strength when she gets upset. It an okay episode though other people might find this crook more interesting than I do. Next comes Chuck the Evil Sandwhich maker Guy who threatens to use a giant sandwich press to crush city hall and Word Girl must use her brains to figure out Chuck computer password while Huggy Face goes through Chuck criminal file with the town D.A. (Word girl's mom) Then comes Dr. Two Brains where the mad scientist with a second brain of a mouse breaks out of jail and faces a series of coincidences that keep stopping Word Girl from nabbing him. The next story The Butcher with his meat attack powers robs the town museum of some mystic meat artifacts to increase his powers and come close to beating Word Girl for the first time. Tobey a boy genius in love with Word Girl threaten to destroy the town with giant robots unless she be him in a game show like situation. Mr. Big a mask business man with his assistant uses mind control machine to make the town buy his item that doesn't seem to do anything at all. Granny May a senior citizen criminal prints fake coupons to take preplexed the stores into letting her rob them. When a store worker accidentally has her body combind with a copy machine she become Lady Redundant woman. A crook who can makes copies of herself and steal more of the same stuff.

The only disapointment I had in the DVD is that when the show airs on PBS it has a Word Girl give away game show between episodes which is not included on the DVD.
on January 13, 2013
if your child watches the PBS series, then this requires no comment, other than to warn you that episodes are edited in such a way that Captain Huggyface's little dance near the end of each episode, is taken out. My granddaughter, who loves to dance with the little monkey, was disappointed.
on December 11, 2013
This is a good basic Word Girl dvd with several episodes on it. Nothing to scary or intense....as with other ones like The Rise of Miss Power (she hurts people and gets her power by being mean to people....which the kids pick up)
on December 26, 2014
If you are a parent who has tried to keep advertising out of their small child's life, this is NOT the DVD for you. Like most DVDs for kids, there are a bunch of commercials at the beginning, but these are easy to skip. The real annoyance for me was that between every single episode there was a Chucky Cheese commercial, with no easy way skip or bypass them.
If I have purchased a DVD for my kid, I expect the actual content to be ad free, and although the Word Girl cartoon itself seems awesome, marketing to my kid every 20 minutes is completely unacceptable to me.
on January 6, 2012
My son loves WordGirl and I must say that I've found myself laughing at the episodes. She teaches great vocabulary words in a fun way. The "Villans" are hilarious - Chuck, the evil sandwich-making guy, Birthday Girl, Big Left-Hand guy, etc.
on February 8, 2011
My daughter and I both love WordGirl so I was very happy to have a DVD that I can pop in whenever we need it instead of having to worry about if I have an episode of DVR and which TV it's recorded on. The lessons that WordGirl teaches are always great and I really appreciate the little bits of humor that are thrown in for the parents as well. It's nice to have a show that I can watch with my daughter and feel equally entertained.
on August 25, 2013
This was my first experience with the series, and I liked it. More importantly, my daughter liked it. Now my four year old walks around discussing things like "excess packaging" ... will definitely get more of this show.
on December 28, 2014
I was excited to introduce this show to our 5 year old daughter, who has outgrown a lot of the preschool shows like Super Why, Dora, and the like. I thought, what show can be educational and fun for this age? I found this recommendation on Common Sense media. And it's....ok. There's a lot of action, physical moves (not necessarily violence...but Word Girl defeats monsters by punching through them, for example. Why not fling big words at them instead??). The educational value is lower than I expected. They maybe learn one or new new 'big' words per episode, and many of the words were ones she knew already like 'memorize.' We sat through about 3 episodes before both she and I lost interest we haven't watched it since.
on May 17, 2013
I love Word Girl and Huggey Face. I love to watch them and play games with Huggey Face. I learn a lot of new words with Word Girl. I am getting smarter every day by listening to Word Girl. I am 5 years old.
on February 9, 2014
My son loves this show. Its pretty funny. Great on vocabulary. It has a lot of episodes. I wish it had captain huggie face dances like on pbs.