5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beginner/Intermediate Book on Wordpress
Published on February 5, 2012 by Marcus Valdes

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete and unbalanced, good for absolute beginners only.
Published on February 10, 2012 by Christopher J. Maler

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beginner/Intermediate Book on Wordpress, February 5, 2012
Marcus Valdes (Fayetteville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I just don't understand the reviewers who gave this book only one or two stars. I would give it a hundred stars if possible. I've looked at a lot of Wordpress books and in my opinion this is the one to start out with. It covers Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org (the book explains the difference and it's a big one). It starts out with the basics of getting your site up and running and then moves on to the more advanced topics like plug-ins, widgets, pages, posts, etc. (don't let any of that terminology scare you). Lisa also explains how to choose your domain name and set up a hosting account.

This past weekend I was able to attend WordCamp Atlanta and meet Lisa as well as Matt Mullenweg (the co-founder of Wordpress and a genuinely nice guy). I found out that Lisa is a great presenter as well as a great writer.

My recommendation to any beginner looking to learn about Wordpress is 1.)buy this book, 2.)find a Wordpress meetup in your area via meetup.com, and 3.) find the nearest WordCamp and attend (inexpensive and worth it).

If you follow this advice, I guarantee you that before long, you will be hooked on Wordpress and have a killer looking website or two!

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete and unbalanced, good for absolute beginners only., February 10, 2012
Christopher J. Maler "Chris" (Sunrise, Fl. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I must not be the intended audience for this book, as I have had run several blogs and managed my own sites using other software, just not with Wordpress. I figured this would give me a overview of all of the features and an example of their use. Instead I got a primer on how to blog, how to upload an image and how to make a post....ugh. Almost nothing is mentioned about the CMS features of Wordpress, which is why I wanted it in the first place.
In my opinion this book is for absolute beginners only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and Useful manual, October 18, 2011
Amazon Customer (North-western Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Massive amounts of well-written and helpful information and detail and step-by-step instructions. This is a worthwhile book to have if you have or want to start a blog at Wordpress. It extensively covers both the freebie Wordpress.com and the Wordpress.org program you can download free .
I am starting my second blog at Wrodpress, and I would not be without it. I refer to it frequently.

But be advised: I bought the Kindle edition, same content but, as far as I can tell, it lacks the index this print version has. Perhaps those that configured the book for Kindle thought that the Kindle search capacity would suffice. It just doesn't always work well for me, though, so I miss the index. So I would give the Kindle edition only 4 starts.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought this sooner!, November 25, 2011
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
Great book as a resource to using Wordpress. I downloaded lots of information from the Wordpress forums and thought I had a good idea on how to get my blog to look professional. I customized it and now I find out I should have used "child themes" what a great feature. If only I had bought the book BEFORE I customized the site. Haven't visited the website as discussed. Looking forward to learning more. Good investment even if you hire someone, you'll know what work is involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still, I think, the best guide to WordPress, February 6, 2012
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
This is the fourth edition of "WordPress For Dummies" - and the fourth edition I have purchased.

Lisa Sabin-Wilson is an undisputed master of WordPress, her research is thorough and her writing style makes the knowledge she conveys very accessible.

There is a misconception that WordPress is easy to use. That is true for the hosted WordPress, which requires virtually no understanding of information technology, computers, etc. But the moment you step out of the cocoon of the highly protected hosted environment, you'd either better have at least a moderate knowledge of CSS, PHP, HTML, FTP, server operations and a few other subject areas. The author does indeed do a good job of explaining what you need to know, but if it is all new to you, it is very easy to get lost.

I am a bit puzzled as to what all is new in this fourth edition. One chapter I personally consider important on using WordPress as a Content Management System has been removed from the book and is available on the web. There is now an appendix on upgrading, backing up and migrating and the book, as a whole, is about 40 pages longer. Granted that WordPress is a program that is substantially changed, on occasion, from one version to another. But I think author or publisher or both should explain what is new in each edition.

At this point, I use "WordPress For Dummies" primarily as a reference. Substantial portions of it are old news to me, but I have found that I can generally find the information I need quicker in this book - and in better written form - than searching for the same information on-line.

Overall, whether beginner or pro, this is an excellent WordPress introduction, guide and reference. Beginners should understand, though, that WordPress is not drop-dead simple once you contemplate modifying it and especially when you leave the security of the hosted version.

Jerry

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Wordpress for me, November 22, 2011
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I gave up on Wordpress a couple years ago and switched to tumblr, which I found to be much simpler. However, I've recently started writing a lot on my blog, something tumblr isn't great for. So I switched back to Wordpress. I would've switched right back to tumblr, or maybe move to Blogger, but this book saved Wordpress for me. It enlightened me to the fact that the site has made a lot of improvements over the last couple years (since I stopped using it) that make it worth sticking around and getting used to.

So this was the perfect book for me, switching from one site back to the old one I once loathed. Now I'm loving it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, March 15, 2012
LA (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I've had a website for years. I created it myself by learning and implementing html. Since I'm not a professional web designer I wanted a new look and realized my limitations with html. I decided to redesign my site using WordPress because I wanted a more professional look as well as the ability to easily edit the site.

This was the only WordPress guide that had not been checked out from my library, so I gave it a shot. It got me up and running and definitely provides a solid overview of WordPress and its features.

Now that I am tweaking my site, however, I'm finding the book to be less helpful than simply Googling specific search terms. I'd be interested in checking out other WordPress books because this one is not working great for me as a resource.

2.0 out of 5 stars Word Press for Not Dummies, January 13, 2012
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I was hoping this would be a step by step instruction book on how to go from point A to B to c etc. - it isn't. It is more of an informational book that is not nuts and bolts enough to explain how to get something done. As an example, WordPress asks for a 950 X 150 px header but when you upload it only about 50% of it fits into the header space. I could not find anywhere in the book to explain how to accomplish installing a header. I'm sure that the people that wrote the book know their subject matter, but it is not a book for beginners.

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, November 16, 2012
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
A newer version of Wordpress made this book obsolete. Technology moved faster than the publisher of this book. Examples used are irrelevant to the current version.

4.0 out of 5 stars I must be to dumb, December 30, 2012
Joy Olree (po dunk, tennessee, usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition (Paperback)
I bought the book because I am a blogger and I don't know what I am doing and this book seems to be a help but I am too dumb to get the hang of it yet. I won't give up I just wanted the book to better help me understand what blog spam is.

WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition
WordPress For Dummies, 4th Edition by Lisa Sabin-Wilson (Paperback - September 27, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01