5.0 out of 5 stars Great spelling series
Published on January 12, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars returned
Not at all helpful. I bought two of the series and returned both of them. Mostly education jargen.
Published on October 18, 2009 by SHOES!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great spelling series, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name - Alphabetic Spellers (2nd Edition) (Three-hole Punched) (Paperback)
I love the Words Their Way series for teaching kids how to spell. I appreciate that it gives them the tools to figure out how to write unknown words on their own with more accuracy as they continue through the different levels. I've used these books with highly gifted first and second graders, and have needed the red, yellow, green, and blue books for students at these age levels. Because the range of spelling ability is so wide in my classroom, I especially appreciate that the sorts are grouped by similar features, and these features are revisited time and time again through the different books, bringing a new level of sophistication to it each time. With this series, I am able to keep several different levels of spelling going in my classroom at any given time without feeling overwhelmed or feeling like some of my students are not getting appropriately leveled instruction. It's so easy to follow that once I familiarize my students with their new sort, they all complete the same assignments, just with different words. They are able to work together on some tasks, regardless of whether their words are the same or different, and this exposes them to features they will encounter soon, or helps to review features they have already practiced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words their Way: Word Sorts for letter name-Alphabetic Spellers (2nd edition), March 20, 2009
This book is an excellent source for emergent readers, and detailed lessons on where to begin. This book has been extremely helpful and for a very busy teacher. It also provides a lot of hands on activities for the students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource., March 28, 2014
This book is a great resource for my class. I am looking forward to purchasing the others in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teacher book, March 14, 2014
We purchase for a elementary teacher. This book was recommended by the principal and will be shared among our staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Systematic and Sequential!, March 12, 2014
I love Words Their Way! The way they organize teaching phonics and word study is very logical. I like the process of having students really look at patterns in words, but not neglect "oddballs" or rule-breakers. I would definitely recommend this program to other teachers. My only complaint would be the font that they use for the word sorts. The lowercase "a" has the curl on top (just like this font!) which is not how we teach children to write "a" anymore. I do think they should be able to recognize both ways so it's not a problem, but I would have preferred a more modern kid-friendly font.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this curriculum!, February 1, 2014
I use this curriculum to teach spelling and love the kinesthetic and visual approach to learning. It teaches the patterns in a comprehensive way, building upon itself as you move through the levels. Most notably, the pre-assessment is an excellent tool. If you are purchasing this, you will need to buy the administrators book as well in order to have the assessment and to learn the different ways to use this program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a vocabulary or spelling program!, November 12, 2013
This curriculum is helping my students learn spelling basics. I have been able to teach just the right lessons to several groups of students within my classroom. Most students are feeling successful using these word sorts. They are learning decoding tools to assist them in knowing how to spell other words.

5.0 out of 5 stars targeted intervention, October 28, 2013
Rebecca A. Hansen (Reardan, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This allowed me to find an intentional spelling and word work option for even my most struggling 3rd graders during Daily Five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guidance for teaching primary students, July 26, 2013
Sylvia "Sylvia" (Anchorage, AK USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent book for giving tools to assess and develop phonetic understanding with primary students. The book includes word sorts and activities, as well as an excellent assessment to find where students are on the continuum of phonetic awareness. I really like the book and recommend it for anyone teaching students in the Letter Name/Alphabetic stage of spelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 26, 2013
It delivered quickly and was in perfect condition. I'm excited about what I'm learning and what my students will learn with this phonetically based reading program.

Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name - Alphabetic Spellers (2nd Edition)  (Three-hole Punched)
$29.40 $20.04