5.0 out of 5 stars An Authentic Description
Published on August 5, 2011 by Biliteracy teacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
I bought this book for a book study and was very disappointed. It is not very academic, but more affective in its purpose.
Published on January 25, 2013 by A. Choice

5.0 out of 5 stars An Authentic Description, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Words Were All We Had: Becoming Biliterate Against the Odds (Language and Literacy Series) (Language & Literacy) (Paperback)
I read the book, "Words were all we had" and I enjoyed it immensely. Most of the authors are about my age and lived some of the same experiences I had growing up bilingual. It is a very authentic description of what it's like to maintain a heritage language in a country that does not appreciate foreign languages. I especially appreciated the section at the end of the book where Reyes compares middle-class and Latino parents' preschool literacy practices. She compares similar literacy practices so succinctly. I plan on sharing this section of the book with all of our teachers at the elementary school where I teach. I'm hoping it will help our teachers understand that latino parents are more similar than different from middle-class parents regarding literacy practices. Thanks again for providing me with this opportunity to help bridge the gap between teachers who believe in latino parents and those that believe that latino parents do not care about education.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 4, 2015
Arrived before I expected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, January 25, 2013