Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 3, 2000
This book has to be one of the best that I have ever read. The effect that it has on the reader is immediate and profound, for it has a way of showing you life through the simplest and yet most obtuse terms. It is truly a piece that will expand the mind and inspire the imagination, a much read for any "thinker."
on July 12, 2000
Fulghum's an independent thinker, and I respect him for that. Yeah, his works may not be classed among the greats of philosophy, but I like them. He combines a lust for life to rival Henry James with the knowledge of a lifelong reader and the wisdom born of a varied and examined life experience. I think this book is mostly a labor of love, a tribute to the thinkers who have influenced him as he hopes to reach others. (And if I recall correctly, he's donating the profits).
on May 31, 2002
I must say that when I started this book today, my day, in fact my week was going very badly. By the time I finished it a couple of hours later my whole perspective had changed, and I feel revived and refreshed. Robert Fulghum has given me back a renewed feeling of faith and hope again. How can I ever show my gratitude? Only by telling others how much it has meant to me. Thank you Robert Fulghum, for sharing the wisdom that you have garnered from these great writers. Although you didn't write their words, yours are so inspiring to me. I would like to share some of my favorites that I think are relevant to the theme of his book:
"The way a book is read -- which is to say, the qualities a reader brings to a book -- can have as much to do with its worth as anything the author puts into it." (Norman Cousins)
He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!
(Emily Dickinson)
'Tis the good reader that makes the good book; in every book he finds passages which seem to be confidences or asides hidden from all else and unmistakably meant for his ear; the profit of books is according to the sensibility of the reader; the profoundest thought or passion sleeps as in a mine, until it is discovered by an equal mind and heart.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare.
(Yoshida Kenko)
For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them. I know they are as lively, and as vigorously productive, as those fabulous dragon's teeth; and being sown up and down, may chance to spring up armed men.
(John Milton)
on June 11, 2016
You shouldn't put aside this book because of your prejudices. To me, this is the best lesson it leaves on us. Robert Fulghum was a minister, a unitarian uniersalist minister (Wikipedia), and to know that could fire eventually certain alarms in some people. It did on me, but I bought the book because I had read All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. In fact, I use that book in my lectures of mathematical modeling and simulation and (trust me) it really worked. And as the people say, one thing led to another.

Words I wish I wrote is one of those book you never finish. Is a companion book. A brik that's always there, waiting to be picked up in order to open it and read whatever you find, don't matter what.

Now well, the author collected these quotes through different ways. Taking them from a book, from a picture, from a conversation, many, many ways. So the selection has the fresh air of something that it came to be, something that wasn't intended.

Anyway, Fulghum explains, at the beginning of every chapter, why he choose those quotes and why they were important to him. And here is the magic, because what was important to him it seems to be important for us, the readers. There's a coincidence indeed, but a very happy one.

The chapters have titles like, well, Begin, Choose, Possible, Journey, and so on. They are thematic, so if you need it, you only have to look for knowing, beforehand, that you'll find exactly that: Begin, Choose, Possible, Journey...

After the selection, the chapter is closed with a commentary that round the topic off, by explaining not the topic but the selection itself, which includes the quote and the author. In the case of García Márquez, he says, "Nobel Prize winner in literature, needs no praise from me. How I could read him in Spanish..." I did it, in fact, because I'm Chilean and read "El amor en los tiempos del cólera" ("Love in the time of Cholera") in Spanish so I know exactly what he means. This subtle and delicate note by Fulghum tells you about his aesthetic sensibility.

So don't miss this book because of your prejudices. I don't know if he read it, but I'm sure that Richard Dawkins would love it. Maybe I'm overstating but I guess this helps to clear the point: don't let it pass. Just read it. You'll love it.
on June 14, 1998
I am a sucker for beautiful words. These are some of the most beautiful I have read. I am so grateful to Mr. Fulghum for collecting these passages in one easily accessible volume. Though I read the book in two short hours, I find myself pulling it from the shelf frequently for comfort, words of wisdom, or lyrics to the music of my life. This book also gave me the "right" words to memorialize two very close family members. I am grateful. Do not deny yourself the pleasure of this wonderful little book. It is a "keeper." -- Dr. Allison L. Hayes
on October 14, 2015
Fulghum's reading list, with comments. A guided tour among the authors and artists who have inspired and entertained this thoughtful and joyful intellect over his long and fruitful life. I hope to make the acquaintance of more of them as my life adventure unfolds.
on August 10, 2000
This book has alot of inspiring quotes. I found myself writingthem down in my own notebooks. The only thing is after reading this book it made me feel like I wasn't living my life to the fullest, because I wasn't doing something groundbreaking with my life, like leading a revolution to feed the hungry or something. It's the same feeling I get after watching Oprah Winfrey. Read the book.
on February 7, 2014
Strangely, I love this book and read it once a year. I find that a certain poem or chapter is more meaningful or poignant than the year before-each according to the season I am walking through. I date and make notations next to each page that speak to me this time around. I wish that I could have purchased it in hard copy but am overjoyed that, regardless of the binding, every cent of the proceeds from the sale of this book benefit Human Rights Watch. The original version of this book that I owned was undoubtedly from a thrift store. It was a hardback, I had read it so many times and made so many notes but my husband hated the book, threw the book at me several times and must have destroyed it because I never saw it again. (Countless notes written in the margins-sigh). I am so happy to have had a reason to buy another version and pay retail for it. Yay Human Rights Watch and Yay Robert Fulghum! Awesome book. We should all make a similar book.
on November 15, 2003
I have enjoyed the other reviews, especially one with all the Poetry! From judging by the Author's picture on the back cover in his Library, seeing the references to William Butler Yeats, and quotes in Chaps: Simplify, Play, Lafter, God, Bene-Dictions and Contra-Dictions. I wholeheartedly agree that he loves poetry and very likely is a Poet! He is infinitely qualified to write about and quote these intensely varied poems like "Ithaca, "How can I keep from singing, "All things dull and ugly, plus Annie Dillard and Thomas Merton!

I am pleasantly surprised seeing his quote of Scott Fitzgerald, on being able "to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time..." Since I had lost that proper resource. Also happily, I noted the successive pages with Walt Whitman, William Blake and Ralph Walso Emerson! I am fortunately blessed to discover this collection of Wisdom, to keep alongside of Thomas Moore's neat "Meditations, Thomas Merton's "Essays on Contemplation, and Anthony deMello's "Awareness plus his "Song of The Bird.

Reading his Introducton, so personally written, I was reminded of his earlier, "From Beginning to End" and his final chapter fittingly titled Bene-Dictions using Carl Sandburg and Jerry Garcia! Pointedly contrasting excerpts from my favorite chapters I conclude with his Big Chapter on God: With "Renascence of Edna St Vincent Milay, "When We Very Young of AA Milne, ee cummings, Nikos Kazantzakis...Altogether are too much for my mysticism to handle at one sitting! From an experienced Lover of Wisdom Writings... Retired Chaplain Fred W Hood
on June 26, 2004
It's amazing how a book can contain so many wise ideas and mainly be the ideas that have been said before. The author is a good chooser of quotes and writings that stimulate the intelligence and imagination.
GOOD JOB!!!
Jeffrey McAndrew
author of "Our Brown-Eyed Boy"