4.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure
Published on June 23, 2012 by Noore

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice book, but I wish it had pictures
The patterns are easy to follow. The lack of pictures makes choosing a pattern difficult. I like seeing the finished product before investing a lot of time.
Published on March 4, 2011 by J. Blair

4.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, June 23, 2012
As someone who has done needlework since childhood (e.g., knitting, crochet, embroidery, etc), I have found this book to be a treasure for the more experienced needlewoman, or the beginner. This is a lovely book, especially with illustrations. Unfortunately the illustrations are evidently still lacking in the Amazon version. As this is a Public Domain book it can be found (with illustrations) at Archive.org, or Gutenberg.org. Just do a Text Search of "The Ladies Work" (or the ladies workbook), download the HTML full web page version, and if you want to read it in Kindle format Calibre works without problem for this book. Frankly, I'm surprised that Amazon has not yet done this as the illustrations seem to really make the book the treasure trove that it is. One reason that I've found myself reading Kindle content more and more is that Amazon has a truely remarkable selection of books, at reasonable prices, with good formatting....so much so that I've often found myself actually paying for free public domain books, that Amazon has formatted for me (searchable, table of contents, etc.). Hopefully, the illustrations will eventually be included here.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive book, great description overcomes lack of images, August 12, 2011
The Kindle edition of this book does not have images. This is a serious problem for a reference, however this book overcomes this serious drawback with very detailed instructions.

I picked up this book after many years of not knitting, and I forgot how to start. This book had an excellent explanation of casting that put me right back into business. The explanation did reference an missing image, but the verbal description was very complete and could stand on its own.

Similarly, Crochet instructions were clear and detailed. However, I had prior experience with both knitting and crocheting. The chapters on lace making were a real test for this book.

I was impressed with Point Lace description. I recently read another Kindle book on lace making (also without images) and I did not feel I could follow the book without images, this book however contains a much more detailed explanation and I think I could follow it.

Here is the index of the topics and projects covered in the book:

1. Knitting
Casting on with one needle
To cast on with two needles Plain knitting
The German manner
Purling
Infant's shoe
The tulip-wreath flower-vase mat
A woven parasol
Anti-macassar
Anti-macassar Netted
anti-macassar Bound couverette for an easy chair
Floral anti-macassar Ottoman cover
Music-stool couverette Chair cushion

2. Crochet
Toilet-cover in crochet Star-pattern d'oyley
Crochet d'oyley Rose d'oyley
Toilet cover Tidy in square crochet
Arabesque toilet cover in square crochet
Cover for a Hadrot lamp
Lamp mat Candle-lamp mat
Hand-screen Crochet counterpane for a bassinet
Deep border for bassinet quilt Crochet stripe for bed-quilt
Centre stripe for bed-quilt
Handkerchief case, for hanging to the head of a bed Watchpocket
Toilet sachet lady's nightcap
A shaving tidy Oval tidy for easy chair
Crochet window-curtain Window-curtain
Window-curtain and stove apron
Netted window-curtain
Bread-cloth
A spangled wool netted cover for a tea-poy
Netted anti-macassar Short purse, in netting Bridal purse, in crochet
Lady's short purse
Handsome purse
Mousquetaire crochet collar
Raised rose crochet collar
Point collar Point collar, in crochet
Lounging-cap, in crochet

Brabant edging Lyons point
Brussels lace
Little Venetian lace
Deep point-lace edging Collar in Spanish rose point
Handkerchief border, in antique point lace
Apron in broderie en lacet
Pincushion cover in point lace
Pincushion

The book is quite lengthy and covers a lot of topics. I found it very helpful for me to get back into knitting! However the lack of images result in 4 star rating.

Ali Julia Review

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice book, but I wish it had pictures, March 4, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ladies' Work-Book, September 20, 2012
RannW "Piper Fan" (Huntingburg IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ladies' Work-Book Containing Instructions In Knitting, Crochet, Point-Lace, etc. (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book because it was free, and also because I enjoy crocheting. There were no illustrations. Because I am the kind of person who needs a picture as well as the written instructions, I did not fare very well when I tried to follow the patterns. I did, however, go to Project Gutenberg where I found the same book WITH the pictures. The pictures made all the difference. Now I can truly enjoy trying out some of these patterns.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, February 23, 2013
It doesn't help to put books like this on Kindle unless the plates (illustrations) are included. They're part of the patterns!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladies workbook instructions Knitting and crochet., November 27, 2010
G. Truskett (Cowgill, Mo. USA) - See all my reviews
I only gave this three stars because there are no pictures that show the stitches. Can't complain too much since this was free. I'm glad I did not pay for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Workbook, June 17, 2014
This I a fun book. Has so many old fashioned patterns that it is hard to know where to start. I enjoy the old patterns as they are a challenge. I also like the old vernacular for them as well instead of the new verbiage and different ways to do the old stitches.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reference book to keep handy., June 13, 2014
I very much like this book and the information it contains. I think that the instructions are clear and well presented; a definite big help for a beginner and good to revisit for seasonal knitters and crochet lovers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, April 21, 2014
I rated it why do I need to write a review? If it's good then it's good if it's bad then it's bad if it is excellent then it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars good reminder on "how to's" for knit and crochet, February 7, 2014
Just what I was looking for to brush up on knitting stitches--unfortunate that Amazon version has no images; would have been 5 stars with diagrams.