Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 5, 2005
As one of the early semi-retirees profiled in the book and related to the author, it would be fair to suspect my recommendations here, but I can assure you that Bob has written a complete and concise book addressing the issues to be faced if you wish to break out of the day to day grind of the modern day work force. It may seem like I would be automatically privy to all of this information by virtue of my relation, but the plain truth is that I needed this book, especially the detailed information about where to put my money to make it work the hardest for me. All of the theories and studies from the last 75 years have been boiled down to easily digested and implemented solutions, which I am now in the process of carrying out. Bob also addresses lifestyle issues that I am currently going through, and it helps to know that I am not unique in the problems I am facing regarding constructive use of my time and mind. This information alone is important to all retirees, early or not. It is critical to all humans that we have something stimulating to do every day to avoid sliding into early dementia and depression. Bob covers these subjects and more from an experienced point of view. (This is not to infer that he suffers from dementia, at least not the type brought on by early retirement!)

Bottom line is that for the price of 3 Happy Meals you can set an incredible foundation for the rest of your life, no matter when you actually leave the work force.
on August 16, 2010
If you are thinking about an exit strategy or if you've made the exist and wondering what you've done and how to make it work this book can give you answers. I also recommend it's complementary work book. The Work Less, Live More Workbook: Get Ready for Semi-Retirement (with CD-Rom) Granted this was pre-super recession 2008. I still think it offers a lot of good and relevant advice. I only gave it 4 stars because I'm not entirely sure the major investment strategy it strongly proposes is as sound as it seemed pre-2008.

My wife and I were looking to either retiring or at least semi-retiring and we got some excellent information, hope and encouragement from this book and it's companion workbook/CD. It's really not just for the young and independently wealthy as one reviewer eludes, we're neither. We did own our own business and have since sold that business and launched into retirement. After a year of doing what I want when I want, not being on call, or catering to others, EVEN if I end up eating beans until I die, I would not go back. Viva Liberte!

2014-04-16: A recent comment from someone who read this review inspired me to add an addendum. Since selling our business in 2009 and officially retiring life has been so rewarding. Beside spending more time with our children and grand children we've traveled back and forth across America twice. first in 2010 with a Pop Up camper and more recently in 2013 towing a 29' Airstream. We are so grateful for the freedom we are able to enjoy.

Pertaining to the book I want to especially mention that it devotes a good deal of information toward properly investing ones money to build a nest egg for retirement. Bob's investment strategy inspired me to really look into the world of investing. Before I had always trusted someone else handle this and to look out for me. Fortunately I was lucky enough to have at least a relatively honest broker, but that said I discovered that his fees had really been hurting me over the years and that by simply switching to no-load low cost (management fees) indexed mutual funds I was able to sleep much better at night and see more of our returns benefiting us than our broker. I did not even do anything as complicated as Bob described. I simply moved my accounts to Vanguard and changed all of the investments (particularly the IRAs and 401Ks) that made financial and tax wise sense. Today I feel very satisfied with where I'm at. I owe this sense of well being to to Bob's book as it opened my eyes to how simple and worthwhile handling my investment accounts personally could be.
on December 1, 2005
I have read many retirement books and this is the most well organized and clearly written of them. This is one that you will want to keep handy for reference. It has given me the assurance that I need to take a major step towards semi-retirement. I also emailed the author and received a gracious and helpful reply!
on November 29, 2005
This is the most useful and carefully written of literally dozens of

books on retirement and financial planning I've read. As a writer myself

I appreciate how hard it is to write so clearly and concisely about

complex matters. There's a tremendous amount of research and expertise

backing up every section of the book, and the investment planning section

in particular is superb.

Mr. Clyatt's expertise is made all the more accessible by his obvious

warmth and compassion for the difficulties faced by anyone contemplating

a full or partial retreat from the world of full-time work.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2006
I found WORK LESS, LIVE MORE an informative and (for me) surprisingly interesting read. The book is a well-researched financial how-to guide as well as a candid lifestyle book. The author (who actually did retire early) includes financial advice and investment strategies to use while planning for retirement, but he doesn't stop there - the book also explains how to make the most of early retirement once you get there.

It's thoughtful organization and index make it easy to skip through the book, reading only the sections you really need.
on April 5, 2006
Vctr113062: Work Less, Live More: The New Way To Retire Early by first time author and part time equity advisor Bob Clyatt is an informed and informative guide to finding the right career for anybody age twenty and up, even those already retired. Work Less, Live More offers a plethora of relaxed solutions to the melancholy and tedium of everyday hard work, with clever techniques for finding a suitable early semi-retirement plan.

Vctr113062: Very highly recommended for everybody seeking an alternative to their currently dissatisfactory career and better, more fulfilling lives. Work Less, Live More is an ideal read.
on March 29, 2014
As I fast approach retirement age, learning what should be expected when I no longer have to get up 5-6 days a week and head off to work is something worth knowing. This book has given me a good first look at a post working life. It has all the basics that I can use to prepare for that time. It has information on budgeting and taxes, part time work, and using hobbies to add a little income as needed, working at it a few days a week. Given here are many of the things I need to know beforehand. The information topics are presented in understandable fashion and become clearer to me as I re-read sections that peaked my interest. Is this the do it all book? To be honest, no, and it will not be the last one I read on retirement. Other authors experiences will help me in different situations as well. But this is a great first book to help continue and improve my lives journey.
on December 1, 2005
This book is great and the author goes out of his way to assist with any questions.

He gives you his personal Email and answers all questions promptly.

He has helped me with numerous questions about retirement.

Give it a try, you'll be a lot smarter about how to handle this difficult subject.

Joe
on March 20, 2016
If you're absolutely new to the subject of managing money and retiring (early) then you might find some value in this book. I found the information to be rather superficial and nothing revolutionary, and the little illustrative stories get tiresome.
on October 12, 2015
Lot's of good info here.
Recognize when the author is discussing taking retirement income from your nest egg, his approach is based entirely on leaving behind the same $$ vale you started with - for me, his approach leaves the retiree(s) pinching pennies rather than enjoying the fruits of their work and savings.