Published on December 5, 2005 by T. Clyatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best financial advice, maybe.
Not the best financial advice, maybe. That is the main reason I bought the book. I didn't get anything else out of it. At least it led me to some more web searching where I found " The Permanent Portfolio " ( check out my review of it ), a much simpler investing approach with less volatility and better returns than the most elaborate method described in this...
Published 7 months ago by Mark Gehring

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant, straightforward advice on investing and lifestyle issues faced by all retirees, early and late., December 5, 2005
As one of the early semi-retirees profiled in the book and related to the author, it would be fair to suspect my recommendations here, but I can assure you that Bob has written a complete and concise book addressing the issues to be faced if you wish to break out of the day to day grind of the modern day work force. It may seem like I would be automatically privy to all of this information by virtue of my relation, but the plain truth is that I needed this book, especially the detailed information about where to put my money to make it work the hardest for me. All of the theories and studies from the last 75 years have been boiled down to easily digested and implemented solutions, which I am now in the process of carrying out. Bob also addresses lifestyle issues that I am currently going through, and it helps to know that I am not unique in the problems I am facing regarding constructive use of my time and mind. This information alone is important to all retirees, early or not. It is critical to all humans that we have something stimulating to do every day to avoid sliding into early dementia and depression. Bob covers these subjects and more from an experienced point of view. (This is not to infer that he suffers from dementia, at least not the type brought on by early retirement!)

Bottom line is that for the price of 3 Happy Meals you can set an incredible foundation for the rest of your life, no matter when you actually leave the work force.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Bible of a balanced life, November 29, 2005
K. Knox (Boulder, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This is the most useful and carefully written of literally dozens of

books on retirement and financial planning I've read. As a writer myself

I appreciate how hard it is to write so clearly and concisely about

complex matters. There's a tremendous amount of research and expertise

backing up every section of the book, and the investment planning section

in particular is superb.

Mr. Clyatt's expertise is made all the more accessible by his obvious

warmth and compassion for the difficulties faced by anyone contemplating

a full or partial retreat from the world of full-time work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource, December 1, 2005
I have read many retirement books and this is the most well organized and clearly written of them. This is one that you will want to keep handy for reference. It has given me the assurance that I need to take a major step towards semi-retirement. I also emailed the author and received a gracious and helpful reply!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Advice from Someone who Knows, February 23, 2006
I found WORK LESS, LIVE MORE an informative and (for me) surprisingly interesting read. The book is a well-researched financial how-to guide as well as a candid lifestyle book. The author (who actually did retire early) includes financial advice and investment strategies to use while planning for retirement, but he doesn't stop there - the book also explains how to make the most of early retirement once you get there.

It's thoughtful organization and index make it easy to skip through the book, reading only the sections you really need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good News, December 1, 2005
Joe "Joe" (Long Island NY) - See all my reviews
This book is great and the author goes out of his way to assist with any questions.

He gives you his personal Email and answers all questions promptly.

He has helped me with numerous questions about retirement.

Give it a try, you'll be a lot smarter about how to handle this difficult subject.

Joe

4.0 out of 5 stars Retire or Semi-retire and Kick the Rat Race, August 16, 2010
If you are thinking about an exit strategy or if you've made the exist and wondering what you've done and how to make it work this book can give you answers. I also recommend it's complementary work book. The Work Less, Live More Workbook: Get Ready for Semi-Retirement (with CD-Rom) Granted this was pre-super recession 2008. I still think it offers a lot of good and relevant advice. I only gave it 4 stars because I'm not entirely sure the major investment strategy it strongly proposes is as sound as it seemed pre-2008.

My wife and I were looking to either retiring or at least semi-retiring and we got some excellent information, hope and encouragement from this book and it's companion workbook/CD. It's really not just for the young and independently wealthy as one reviewer eludes, we're neither. We did own our own business and have since sold that business and launched into retirement. After a year of doing what I want when I want, not being on call, or catering to others, EVEN if I end up eating beans until I die, I would not go back. Viva Liberte!

2014-04-16: A recent comment from someone who read this review inspired me to add an addendum. Since selling our business in 2009 and officially retiring life has been so rewarding. Beside spending more time with our children and grand children we've traveled back and forth across America twice. first in 2010 with a Pop Up camper and more recently in 2013 towing a 29' Airstream. We are so grateful for the freedom we are able to enjoy.

Pertaining to the book I want to especially mention that it devotes a good deal of information toward properly investing ones money to build a nest egg for retirement. Bob's investment strategy inspired me to really look into the world of investing. Before I had always trusted someone else handle this and to look out for me. Fortunately I was lucky enough to have at least a relatively honest broker, but that said I discovered that his fees had really been hurting me over the years and that by simply switching to no-load low cost (management fees) indexed mutual funds I was able to sleep much better at night and see more of our returns benefiting us than our broker. I did not even do anything as complicated as Bob described. I simply moved my accounts to Vanguard and changed all of the investments (particularly the IRAs and 401Ks) that made financial and tax wise sense. Today I feel very satisfied with where I'm at. I owe this sense of well being to to Bob's book as it opened my eyes to how simple and worthwhile handling my investment accounts personally could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An informed and informative guide to finding the right career for anybody age twenty and up, April 5, 2006
Vctr113062: Work Less, Live More: The New Way To Retire Early by first time author and part time equity advisor Bob Clyatt is an informed and informative guide to finding the right career for anybody age twenty and up, even those already retired. Work Less, Live More offers a plethora of relaxed solutions to the melancholy and tedium of everyday hard work, with clever techniques for finding a suitable early semi-retirement plan.

Vctr113062: Very highly recommended for everybody seeking an alternative to their currently dissatisfactory career and better, more fulfilling lives. Work Less, Live More is an ideal read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summary, January 21, 2007
As an intro to the topic of retiring early and managing your money and time, this book is a great introduction to the topic and includes numerous references to more in-depth resources. It's also a good overview/review for those who have read many of the other entries in this general field. Previously I recommended one of Edmunds's books (How To Retire Early And Live Well With Less Than A Million Dollars) to people needing an introductory book ; I will now recommend this one first.

To follow up you really need to read Bernstein's "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" if you are technically inclined, or Bernstein's newer book if you are less into the numbers and mechanics of actually living off of your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prioritizing Your Life, December 10, 2009
For some of us, work is a pleasure; it's more recreation than labor. If anything, it's a labor of love.

For most of us, however, work is a drag. It's a place to earn enough money to sustain our lifestyle, while trying to avoid the sharks in the business world---the micro-managers, the backstabbers, and the bosses from hell who undermine your efforts on a daily basis. For those people, Bob Clyatt has some great advice for escaping the rat race, before the rats take over.

The advice is solid, especially if you're trying to get by with less material possessions; don't waste money on a bunch of stuff that really doesn't add value to your life. Enjoy the simple pleasures, because "free" is the best bargain available.

Another great book to help you prioritize what's important in your life is Richard Koch's The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Success by Achieving More with Less. Together, they can help you get the most out of life; especially if you're looking to reduce the number of hours spent on that thing called "work".

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite the publisher's hype for this SECOND (2007) edition..., August 13, 2010
Henry Thoreau (Olathe, KS United States) - See all my reviews
MY take (in brief) is that there's little new in this SECOND (2007) edition that wasn't covered nicely by the FIRST (2005) edition [i.e., the second edition largely amounts to a minor "facelift"--not a truly substantial revision of content (MOST of which is reprinted verbatim)--with the evident primary intent to generate increased profit for both publisher and author].

In any case (regardless of whether you choose this second edition OR the now more affordable first edition), this admirable, commendable book could be of some significant help to many early (and would-be) retirees. Especially intriguing are Clyatt's recommended "Rational Investing Portfolio" and "maximum safe-withdrawal rate" sections (not that he himself necessarily "invented" either of those basic concepts--i.e., there's little, if anything, here that's TOTALLY innovatory). But even many of the other (relatively less essential) sections are fairly helpful too, if only because they provide considerable "encouraging" discussion/advice.

Bottom line, this book is actually one of the best, most likable titles in the "early-retirement-investing" genre. Just don't be overly impressed by the second edition's cover's gimmicky emphasis on the term "SEMI-retirement" vis-à-vis the first edition's use of the conventional term "early retirement." Heck, even in the first edition, the author interchangeably implements the term (or concept of) "semi-retirement." (It's merely a trivial matter of semantics. The two terms are essentially synonymous in Clyatt's virtually unchanged discussion.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›