1,094 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars what I've been looking for, with caveats
Published on October 15, 2010 by davwe

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK...
Published on March 13, 2012 by Asher

4.0 out of 5 stars what I've been looking for, with caveats, October 15, 2010
davwe (Modesto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener is exactly the sharpener that I've been looking for! It quickly and easily makes a good convex edge on most blades, and it only took me a few minutes to get the hang of it. I profiled and sharpened three kitchen knives in five minutes, and a brush axe in ten minutes. The brush axe took more time both because the new edge profile was a lot different, and because it took me some practice to deal with the curving blade.

Pros
- It takes me an easy 35sec to change a belt.
- The belts are lasting well.
- It takes about 5 passes each side w/medium belt to put a convex edge on a typical blade.
- It takes 1-2 passes each side w/fine belt to sharpen a typical blade.
- Works for most any blade, even my Benchmade folding knife with thumbstud.
- Sharpens hard knives.

Cons
- The instructions are not great. You may round the tip or ruin a blade's temper if you follow them exactly.
- It would be easier to draw through true if the guide extended to either side 1/2", and was solid above the belt.
- Will only sharpen the flat side of a serrated blade. You'll need something like a tapering round sharpener to get the other side.
- The thumbstud on a folding knife may get in the way unless it is near the handle.
- The fine belt is generally good, but sometimes I want finer. I searched online, but couldn't find any.
- There is no 15deg knife guide.
- The WSKTS quickly gets hot; you're not supposed to use it for more than 20min.

Tips
- Practice drawing the blade through with the motor off.
- As you draw through, change the angle of the blade to keep the belt-to-edge contact uniform.
- The belt will conform to the knife tip as you draw it though, which will round the tip of the knife. I avoid this by drawing through the same, but turning off the motor just as the tip of the knife reaches the belt.
- During the initial edge re-profiling, be careful that the knife doesn't get too hot, which will ruin the temper. I worked with three knifes at a time to avoid this.
- I alternate sides every pass, both to help keep the edge symmetric, and to minimize the number of passes.
- I only use the downward side of the belt; this seems safer and perhaps the belt will last longer.
- For a curving blade like a brush axe, I work in sections, being careful to vary and feather the sections each pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars It REALLY works!, August 23, 2010
I bought this device yesterday, and today about 20 of my kitchen knives are razor sharp. With a machine shop background, I was familiar with small "3 wheel belt sanders" - we used to sharpen shop tools with them 40 years ago! Work sharp has essentially crossed a mini - belt sander with a mini electric chainsaw power head and "Walla" - the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener!!! Well built, and with angle guides to make sharpening a snap, it is a great little tool. One big advantage of this sharpener (over stones, wheels and other "hard" sharpeners) is that the belt will FLEX. That allows for contouring to a blade, and also prevents grinding off excessive metal. With three grades of abrasive belts, there is wide versatility for sharpening, grinding and honing. The belts seem to be holding up very well, and can be swapped out in just a few seconds. Also of interest to me is that the "belt head" can be rotated to several positions - allowing for standard sharpening, compact storage, and also use as a mini finishing / deburring tool! Quite ingenious.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sharpener for the money, August 14, 2011
I saw a product review video on youtube on the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener (WSKTS) and decided to give it a try. Over the years, I've pretty much been a stone and/or ceramic stick guy. I've owned various natural and diamond stones. I own a Lansky system, but find it too clunky. Also, the clamp never seemed to hold all my knives very securely. As of late, I've been using a Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker with much success. I typically used the ceramic sticks freehand because different knifes are made with different angles and they frequently don't match up with preset angles on sharpeners.

OK, on to the WSKTS. This thing is basically a hand held mini-belt sander. This sharpener puts a convex grind on knives due to the tension of the belts. The head rotates from a table top position to various positions intended to be used free hand. I've sharpened all kinds of knives and even my lawnmower blade with excellent results each time. Haven't tried scissors yet. Yesterday I sharpened several older knives and was done in a few minutes. Last week I even sharpened my 3 Cold Steel Kukri's and 1 machete with hair-popping success.

There was a small learning curve/technique issue not mentioned in the included DVD. Don't push your blade towards the belt while drawing it through the guides. This will round the point. You should draw the knife keeping light pressure away from the belt and towrds the guide. Being a belt grinder though, I ran the belt down the spine at the tip to get my point back. Other than that, I'm extremely pleased with the versatility and ease of use. Yes it has guides with preset angles, but you can quickly conform a blade to the guide angle by letting the grinder do the work.

Excellent sharpener or the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener!, July 28, 2010
As a former chef, restaurateur and food service professional, I've had a life-long interest in sharp knives. It took me years to master a good set of oil stones and no machine has come close to replacing them for me. Then along comes the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener.

For my first trial, not wanting to risk a good knife to a machine, I selected an old abused chef's knife and in short order returned it to excellent working order using the Work Sharp! I discovered that the Work Sharp leaves no mess to clean up and poses very little risk to the blade, even in the hands of a novice.

Since that first blade, I have trued up numerous neglected knives in professional kitchens with the same great results. At less than half the price of a good set of oil stones, I recommend every professional and home cook add one to their must-have list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp, March 25, 2011
I'll bet I tried 7 different "sharpening systems" until I stumbled on the Work Sharp. This is a great tool that works. I've never been able to master the skill of putting a consistant sharp edge on steel. The WSKTS does the work for you.

The tool comes complete with color coded belts of three different grits. The green belt (6000 grit) will finish an edge to "scary sharp". I was careful to warn others in the household when I used it on the kitchen cutlery!

It's not at all difficult to use the Work Sharp, but practice on some old, unloved cutlery first, just to get the feel. If you're not paying attention, it is possible to round the tip of your knife.

Lastly, it does seem like the belts will last a very long time. Still, if you send in your warranty card, Work Sharp will send you a fresh package of spares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sharpener on the market! Definite learning curve for LEFTIES, though, September 12, 2012
Kirsten (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
I have to say that, over the last twenty years, I have purchased so many knife and scissor sharpeners it makes my head spin. Well, finally, my search for the perfect sharpener has come to an end. This thing sharpens EVERYTHING, and it does it on a professional-quality scale.

I've tried many, many other sharpeners, including the following, in the last year alone:

* Presto 08800 EverSharp electric knife sharpener(and a much more expensive, higher-grade model of the same type, which was a terrible waste of $150+ bucks),
* Dremel A679-02 Sharpening Attachment Kit (A total waste of money--don't bother!),
* Smith Abrasives CCKS 2-Step Knife Sharpener and Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener (Both handy little sharpeners for knives, if you're on the go), and
* Accusharp 012C Combo Pack Knife Sharpener (Does alright in a pinch, but results are minimal; definitely not for regular sharpening duties).

The Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener beats every other sharpener I've tried. It has precision angle guides that fit around the belt to help you guide your blade along at just the right angle, depending on your need. The guides on the light grey guide-mount are even magnetized to help you keep your blades in place (I'm about to install a couple of earth magnets to the inside of the black guide-mount to help me while using it as well, since I'm a leftie).

I've spent the last week sharpening everything that moves, and this thing has done it all flawlessly.

- Being a large, creative family, we have at least a hundred pairs of scissors, including several pairs of thinning shears. This thing has honed the edges of every pair to like-new condition.

- I've used it on all the knives we have, from expensive kitchen cutlery and chef's knives to my son's hunting gear. I even touched up the edges of my serrated blades, since there is a special guide just for serrated items (sharpening them can be tricky, though, so do it in small, quick bits as to keep from grinding the serrated edge down too much).

- We've restored most of our old, dinged-up garden tools and shears, (Sadly, I couldn't do them all; I haven't yet discovered a way to sharpen ones with short blades and no way to unhinge/separate the blades from each other. If you have any ideas, please let me know!)

- I was able to sharpen the blades on my food processor and blender. (I know, I need "help".)

- I've sharpened all my hair-cutting, sewing, and other specialty scissors. So happy that I don 't have to take them to be professionally sharpened anymore! And, instead of dealing with more frustration over yet-another sharpening product that didn't live up to its marketing, I finally have a tool that I KNOW won't ruin my blades, but will instead keep them razor-sharp.

- I even sharpened an entire box of old scissors I've ruined over the years trying to sharpen them with other devices...to my awe, scissors that couldn't even cut through paper now cut like new again. I never thought I'd be able to get them sharp again, but it only took a minute.

And, most surprising: after ALL THAT SHARPENING, the belt I used for it all still looks BARELY USED (I did order Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener (WSKTS) Replacement Belt Kit, thinking I'd need them soon with all the sharpening I needed to do, but these belts are apparently made to last).

A FINAL NOTE FOR LEFT-HANDED USERS: This product, like so many products on the market, is designed for RIGHT-HANDED USE. In other words: the placing of the motor, the placement of the guides, etc. are all designed for right-handed use. Thus, you can attempt to use it left-handed, but it's extremely awkward. It also is almost impossible to keep the taper of the blade against the sanding belt as you draw to the end of it if you use your left-hand. I've tried adjusting the angle of the guide-platform every way possible, but it's just not made for drawing blades with your left hand.

(***EVERYONE SHOULD BE VERY CAREFUL ADJUSTING THE ANGLE OF THE GUIDE-ATTACHMENT FRAME, WHICH IS ATTACHED TO THE MOTOR-HOUSING, BTW--IT CAN SCREW OFF QUITE EASILY AND YOU MIGHT END UP PULLING THE GUIDE PLATFORM OFF THE MOTOR GEAR, WHICH REALLY SUCKS TO HAVE TO RE-ATTACH.***)

Anyhow, for lefties, I definitely recommend using it right-handed (in other words: hold the tool with your left hand, and guide the blade with your right), if you can--you'll get much better results, rather than trying to use it the other way around--and you are less likely to apply too much pressure onto the blade, anyway, which could result in an uneven or improperly-angled blade surface.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anecdote to my original review:
------------------------------
My son got a large kukri (knife) for Christmas. For some reason, it was sent, basically, raw--with a flat, unsloped 1/4" thick piece of stainless steel. As those of you familiar with kukris know, the blade is over 1/4" thick, so this thing needed to be shaped and contoured from flat metal into a working blade. I felt like I was in Knifeshaping 101. Since the blade is also contoured with a considerable interior pitch, I was NOT looking forward to trying to thin out, shape, and sharpen its edge AT ALL.

I've never made a knife before, so I had no idea how long it would take to shape the metal. With the green belt, it took me about a half-hour to contour the edges into a very respectable blade. Then, I used the red belt to sharpen it up, and it turned out beautifully!

Honestly, I cannot believe I was able to take 1/4" thick piece of stainless steel and, in about forty minutes, turn it into a legit kukri blade with this sharpener. If that's not a testament to how great this product is, I'm not sure what is.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK..., March 13, 2012
Seems to work OK... Maybe I need to spend alittle more time with it, but it seems like I actually dulled my knives more then I sharpened them. Ran a couple of my hunting knives through it following the instructions using the red and purple belts, but they are definately not "shaving arm hairs" sharp like I can get them using my diamond stones. It made quick work of some very dull kitchen knives, but again not crazy sharp... I will keep it for quick work on general house knives, but it isn't going to touch my skinning knives unless something changes...

The directins say to place the knife in the grove and then push the trigger and pull through (start and stop the motor everytime), tells you to swipe the knife 10 passes down each side, switch belts and repeat. The unit looks pretty well made, but this process makes you turn the unit on and off 40 times just to sharpen one knife. I can't imagine that switch and motor will last very long with this kind of useage... I tried to just leave it on and swipe the knife, but it's hard to keep a uniform edge with the moving belt.

To sum it up, it will make a sharp enough knife but it won't make a razor out of one like some of the videos lead to believe.. If I would have tried one before I bought it, I probably would have saved my money. So since I have it, I will use it around the house... BUT it's definately not a "must have"...

5.0 out of 5 stars This machine is AWESOME!!!!!, June 28, 2010
I received the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener as a gift, and I can honestly say this product is AWESOME!!! For years I have tried wet stones, oil stones, dry stones and all kinds of knife sharpening tools and for the life of me, I could never get a decent result! Within 5 minutes of receiving the Work Sharp product I had figured out how to use it (a quick glance through the manual is recommended, I know, real men do not read instructions, but in this case it really helps - especially when trying to figure out how to change the different levels of abrasive belts).

Needless to say, I probably sharpened 25 knives, including my wife's pride and joy Shun and Gerber knives, to razer sharp levels! The differing knife guides that come with the product make it really hard to screw-up! I am an accountant, not a mechanic, and I achieved amazing results. I went around the house sharpening the kitchen knives, my pocket knives and even some of my father's hunting knives that I inherited. Within 20 minutes, all of the knives were amazingly sharp!!!

The other nice thing is that I did not put scratched all over the blades, like what has happened to me in the past. This product really works well. I cannot give it any higher praise!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product, June 27, 2010
For years, friends have considered my husband a sharpening expert and turned to him to sharpen tools and knives for them. He has shown several friends how to use his Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener and all of them were able to sharpen knives, tools, and even scissors with precision. He loves this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knife sharpener, September 27, 2010
David Ryan (HELENA, MT, US) - See all my reviews
Works great. I had several knives that I had been unable to sharpen properly. Not any more. Works great!

Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener