5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple, actionable book to kickstart using Evernote
Published 23 months ago by Tris Hussey

3.0 out of 5 stars useful starting point for setting up evernote
Published 22 months ago by HM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple, actionable book to kickstart using Evernote, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I've dabbled with Evernote for years, but never felt like I "got it" or was really using it to its fullest. This book isn't intended as a reference or guidebook on Evernote, it's intended to spark the ideas in your head to start using the app better. Just beginning with the three-week capture everything tip is a step in the right direction. Alexandra writes in a clear, engaging manner that will make you excited to sit down and get going with Evernote. Best of all, the book is short enough to be read in one sitting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of good ideas!, January 14, 2013
Travis B. Eneix (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
There are tons of works on using Evernote. Lots of them re-tread the same ground by including the most basic "how to" aspects of the tool.

This book is not that. It's a decently deep exploration of applications and strategies to employ with Evernote. The author also includes many "tips" sections (quite a few from other users) that really spur great ideas for how to work with Evernote in your own life tool kit.

My favorite part is the admonition to give the ubiquitous capture potential of Evernote an honest trial period. I committed to two weeks of capturing anything I wanted to capture using exclusively into Evernote. I am very happy with the results, and the increase in my own productivity has been immense.

Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
Even as a fairly long-term (2+ years) user of Evernote, I came away from this excellent introduction with better ways of using Evernote in my day-to-day business. Alexandra Samuel has written a clear and easy to follow primer on one of the great successes of "accessible everywhere" information.

Not only does the book introduce Evernote to new users, but it also provides solid ideas for organizing the user's folder structure to make best use of the information to be stored there. The author writes clearly and succinctly on the benefits of Evernote's tags, allying them with a thoughtful folder hierarchy.

If you've never tried Evernote, but have a desire to manage your day-to-day life more effectively, this e-book is an excellent jumping-off point.

3.0 out of 5 stars useful starting point for setting up evernote, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
this was a brief but helpful guide for thinking through how to structure evernote to suit my needs before jumping in and using the program. I tried evernote a couple of years ago and gave up on it, if i'd had this book it would have helped me a lot. this time i think i'll be able to stick with the program - it's really useful and the newer versions have excellent features. I used this book to figure out (on paper) an evernote setup that suits my workflow needs, and then i also bought one of the more detailed books that provides technical instructions (evernote's manuals are very spare!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to better organize your use of Evernote, January 11, 2013
Marnie L. Webb (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I've been using Evernote for quite a while now. But not consistently. I clip this and save that. I take a note here but not there. I use tags in a haphazard fashion and notebooks with wild abandon.

But recently, I've been working on cleaning up my digital life: settling on the applications that really work for me. Figuring out how to stitch them together in ways that make me feel like I have what I need and (even more important) make me feel like it's easy to share different pieces of information with others.

This book helped me think about and implement a plan for using Evernote. I might not quite get with the capture everything -- but I know have organized my notebooks and stacks in way that makes sense. I save information and, most of all, I have a way of saving it that makes retrieval easy. I have bundled information in ways that keeps private what I want to keep private (I've long used evernote to keep my journal) and to share what i want to share (bundling together project notes in ways that can make sense to people who aren't me). Most of all, I've thought through how this is a part of my information stack -- how it works with Pocket (or Instapaper or Readability), Twitter, Zite, Tumblr, Basecamp and all the other things that I use on a regular basis.

And that gets at the missing star. This is a terrific primer on Evernote but I wish it also helped me think about the way it works with other pieces of information systems (why should a link be in evernote and not pocket or pinboard, for example). I'm hoping that, as the series is developed, there is more of that type of information included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet, and to the point, January 27, 2013
gbiv (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I've been using Evernote on and off for a couple of years. My main challenge was coming up with a strategy for how to use tags vs notebooks and when to use stacks (if at all). For a few bucks you get a few strategies to choose from, pros and cons, links to other Evernote resources, and a 30 minute setup guide. The quick setup guide gave me a framework to get moving and start capturing with Evernote.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended starter guide to Evernote, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I have to start my review by saying I didn't personally get that much out of the book. As a casual Evernote user for the past three year who has recently started using it much more, most of the concepts here weren't that new to me. I'd hoped I'd glean some unique ideas related to strengths of Evernote on different platforms (e.g. Desktop vs iPhone) but that wasn't discussed.

Nevertheless, I'd absolutely recommend the book to anyone who has a good sense of the basics but who is ready to move to a power level of use. It's very well-written (but I'd expect that from a Harvard press book) and isn't filled with lots of fluff or material that will be quickly dated, and the content is well-organized and relevant. More attention could be paid to the section on collaboration, because I suspect many organizations won't quite "get" why they should use Evernote over, say, GoogleDocs. All in all, a worthwhile purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, practical guide that shows how to add value to your work and life, January 3, 2013
Ben Ziegler (Victoria, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I have used Evernote in a haphazard way for about a year.  I've been waiting for this book, or so it feels like.  Three things I really like about this book.  First, it shows me how to use Evernote as a self-organizing tool, in smart, simple, and effective ways.  Second, it shows me many different ways to use Evernote to share and collaborate with others.  Third, it puts forward the case for "social leaders", and how a tool like Evernote can help me provide above-and-beyond value to others.  What's more important than that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview and Framework, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
I liked that this was not a blend of a technical manual and a strategic manual. This is a high level guide on how to use evernote. what to use it for. how to get more out of it. I got 4 or 5 good ideas, and I would have considered myself an advanced user going in.

2.0 out of 5 stars More about business than Evernote, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Work Smarter with Evernote (Kindle Edition)
Well written but is very light on content about Evernote. I didn't learn enough to make it worth the price. Felt more like an extended blog post than an ebook. I recommend finding another resource if you're looking for help using Evernote skillfully.

Work Smarter with Evernote