5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the K-1 crowd! Perfect for 8-11 year olds :)
I was hesitant to buy this for my 9 year-old 4th grader, because the bulk of the reviews talk about how great this series is for very young children. I'm a huge proponent of reading to kids, but anyone with an emerging-to-avid reader knows that if you don't keep their interest up with what's on the shelf, video games and tv will win the round. (At least they'll try!)...
Published on December 1, 2011 by CharliesHotMama

3.0 out of 5 stars cute and entertaining...but not my cup of tea
This was a cute, quick read. Probably appropriate for a 3rd or 4th grade reader. Personally, I don't care for books that personify animals. If you do like books with animals as the main characters, then this story is for you! I read this because our school chose this book for an all school reading project. It is part of a series of Humphrey books.
Published 10 months ago by Kathryn Kosson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the K-1 crowd! Perfect for 8-11 year olds :), December 1, 2011
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)

The lexile range for the Humphrey series is roughly 640-730... which translates to a 3rd-5th grade reading level, regardless of your child's chronological age. Can younger kids enjoy hearing the story? Of course. Can older kids get a kick out of it? For sure. I just want other people to know that this is a series geared toward the secondary set, 8-11 years old, despite a number of reviews that may have you saying "Wait a minute..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chapter Book for K-3, January 10, 2006
KAM (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
My Kindergarten boy LOVES this book! I read it to him every night, and he was very sad when we finished, because he wanted it to go on and on!!!! Humphrey is a delightful character. The teachers, school children and others in the book such as the pincipal, custodian and teacher's husband all are characters the young reader can appreciate and enjoy. Humphrey learns about each character's problem when he goes home with him or her over a weekeend or holiday, comes up with "a Plan" for each to help with the problem, and teaches each child valuable lessons. Nothing not to like here!!!! Great book to be read to Kindergarteners. Good read-it-yourself chapter book for good readers, 2nd grade probably. 15 chapters. Not an early chapter book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, September 21, 2005
This book quickly became one of my favorites. It is on the Florida Sunshine State Reader list and is excellent for silent reading or reading aloud. It teaches kids many lessons about people and the way they behave through the eyes of the class pet hamster, Humphrey. I appreciate that it offers an explanation for why otherwise friendly teachers can sometimes be crabby (stressed out from a situation at home), why regular kids can sometimes act out against their friends (upset about new rules at home following a parent's illness), or why children can be extremely shy (self-conscious about their ability to speak English well). It even offers a contrasting view of the life of a principal in school vs. at home. This book was a joy to read, and I'm glad it received well-deserved recognition by making the SSR list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new classic, August 2, 2005
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
This is an utterly charming book right up there with such classics as "Charlotte's Web" and the "Cricket of Times Square" where an animal gently befriends and teaches humans lessons one usually doesn't learn in school. All it takes is a "Plan" and sometimes "Great Effort" as Humphrey would say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, January 20, 2007
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
I teach second grade and am reading this to my class. They are really enjoying the story which is told from the point of view of Humphrey the hamster. The writing is kid friendly and very engaging. If I miss a day the kids are asking me when I'll read about Humphrey again. I bought the other book, Friendship According to Humphrey, and plan on reading that to the kids, also.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for your 4th grader, September 24, 2008
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
I've been searching for books to encourage my daughter to read. She's a big animal lover, so I thought that she would certainly be interested in a book with a hamster on the cover! BINGO!! Now she wants all of the Humphrey books . . . that's why I'm here - to order the rest of them! Humphrey is too precious to pass up. I highly recommend him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 19, 2004
By A Customer
My daughter's first grade teacher read this book to her class at the same time that the class adopted a hamster to keep in the classroom. All the students loved the book and my daughter asked me to check on Amazon.com to see if the author had written any other Humphrey books. She said it was the best book she'd ever read or had read to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hamster's Eye View, February 4, 2007
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY is a wonderful book to read aloud to young kids. Told in first-person, the tale conveys a great sense of Humphrey the class hamster and everything that he learns about his class mates and the teacher, whom he believes to be a mean person at first.

Betty G. Birney has struck gold with Humprey, and he's featured in two more books, FRIENDSHIP ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY and TROUBLE ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY. Like the first book, the next two in the series focus on kid issues and the kind of learning that goes on at a young age.

When Ms. Mac purchases Humphrey from the pet store, he doesn't know that he's destined to be placed in Room 26 at the school. Nor does he know that his beloved Ms. Mac is going to leave him there. But she does. However, before she leaves, she tells him to help out the kids and the teacher in the room as much as he can. Humphrey agrees to do that, but he feels very sad.

The emotions that Birney conveys throughout her story is charming. Young readers/listeners will joy at Humprehy's triumphs, and feel sad when they find out the stories of the kids that go to school with him. The way the author paints Humphrey as being looked at but not listened to is something that a lot of kids will probably empathize with. Grown-ups don't always seem to get it when the world is presented through a kid's-eye view.

The chapters are short and punchy, starting and ending a segment of the story that will leave listeners in a good place each time, but still wanting to know what will happen next. THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY is a fantastic book to read to youngsters before bedtime. Each chapter only takes a few minutes and is easily understood while containing a lot of emotion.

Teachers who read to their classes will appreciate this book on more than one level. On one hand, the book grabs the listener's attention. On the other hand, many of the stories and problems Humphrey deals with during the course of the book are the same ones the kids might have to deal with during school.

My nine-year-old and I enjoyed the book a lot. I was a little leery of it at first, thinking it might be boring, but there was plenty of action and plenty of emotion. Afterwards, I found that we were talking about a lot of the story problems as my son thought outloud and compared those problems to how he felt at times, and how other kids in his class might feel.

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY is entertaining and insightful. And short enough to be read in a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars PCE Student Review, April 27, 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The World According to Humphrey (Paperback)
My favorite book is The World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney. The World According to Humphrey is a humor book about an animal who interacts with people.

My Favorite character is Humphrey the hamster. I like this character because he's funny, interesting and I never knew what would happen next. He meets new people and learns things other animals can't.

I like the writing style because it has tips at the bottom of each page of how to raise a hamster. The author made me laugh when she included stories of the children fighting.

I love this book because I love books with humor. I love the small but big adventures that Humphrey had. Even though he was small he had a big goal: To help people with happiness.

I recommend this book to people who like humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun hamster's-eye view of life and school, April 6, 2004
Humphrey the hamster learns a lot about life - by observing the humans who care for him in his classroom. Each weekend he experiences a different student, learns to read, write and becomes nearly human himself in World According To Humphrey -- a fun hamster's-eye view of life and school.

The World According to Humphrey
The World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney (Paperback - May 5, 2005)
$5.99 $4.81