Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 14, 2012
This worldwide collection of bird films features the avian life from countries such as Spain, France, Kenya, Australia, the United States and others. Although it is advertised as a collection of films, some of the material was completed on video and then transferred to DVD. There is much beautiful photography in the films and the films and the video closeups of the species are quite attractive. These are fine documentaries with a much information about the ecology of the regions in which the birds live. Some of the birds included are eagles of the Iberian peninsula of Spain, the Cassowary of Australia, hummingbirds in North America, and the quelea, which has caused many problems in Africa by its overpopulation and damage to crops. The "Wild Wings" program, hosted and narrated by Marty Stouffer, is also included in the "Wild America Specials" collection, available here at Amazon. It is such an excellent documentary that one can easily see why it was chosen for this world class collection of birds. The narration of most of the films is quite appealing and easy to understand. This set would make a fine gift for bird lovers of all ages.

Perhaps too much packaging was used in this collection. The entire series could probably have been recorded on two or three DVD's instead of eight, making the package much smaller and using less plastic and cardboard. This would lessen the impact of the product's manufacture on the environment. However, I was pleased with the low price of the item, which will encourage more people to buy fine natural history films for their entertainment and educational value-- especially when they are so inexpensive.
44 comments21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
This group of videos is educational and indepth. My favorite video is the one on owls. The footage is beautiful and packed with information. I was not disappointed in the least!
on January 26, 2013
This is excellent for those of us who love birds! It is also great for others too. I just watched my first one sitting at my computer. You don't always have to watch DVDs on your TV.
It was excellent to sit and watch. The photography, learning of the birds, sounds and the close up of the scenery was excellent!
One thing I got confused about is there are 8 DVDs and 11 films. You have to read the DVDs to see that 3 of the DVDs have 2 of the films on them.
I thought 3 DVDs were missing until I read the front and saw that 3 had 2 films on them.
I had received all 11 films. Remember to read the front of your DVDs.
This collection will take me around the world of birding which I've done for years. Some places I hope to visit.
on August 18, 2013
These are beautiful films and I enjoy "watching" them. I am hearing impaired and bought this pakage because Amazon's product details indicates that it has English Subtitles. BEWARE: these are not subtitled and the only reason I am keeping them is that my grandchildren will eventually enjoy them. I buy only subtitled or CC'd movies and think that Amazon needs to be more careful in this area. None of the pakaging indicates that they are subtitled!
on January 31, 2014
This box set contains a variety of DVDs based on programs taken from what seems to be a diversity of sources and none of them distinguished. The photography is mostly a joke. The scripted commentary is mostly devoid of useful facts and frequently degenerates into nothing more than a portrait gallery as in "then we have this bird, then we have that bird, etc"
The narration is truly atrocious. Who can really stand to hear a professional voice person say "camayflaaj" for camouflage 35 times in one DVD?

Skip this set.
on May 27, 2013
Some of the films are rather short, but informative.

BBC Programmes tend to be better, e.g; " the life of birds " by Sir David attenborough.
on February 6, 2013
World Class Films: World of Birds was a Christmas gift but the recipient love it. Beautifully filmed birds and narration.
on January 2, 2014
Great series was a gift for child who loves documentarys on animals. Was shipped quick and in perfect condition. Very happy
on March 18, 2014
Wanted to watch the beauty of birds and there were some of this. One was about an over population of bird and how they were trapping them with nets to minims them. Another showed how one type of bird nesting has to protect there eggs or young from other bird that would come and eat them. I was very disappointed in this set and therefore have not even finished watching all the the videos.
on December 15, 2014
WONDERFUL and diverse, this is quite an educational work of the wonder of birds around the world. There are species revealed here that were completely unknown to me before I viewed it. Beautifully filmed, wonderfully narrated and a most interesting set!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse