4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, but NOT a how-to manual.
This is an excellent book describing the various life forms in a drop of pond water. It may well serve to make your child interested in using microscopes. In addition, there are a couple of pages about Anthony van Leeuwenhoek, who first made and described a microscope and what he could see with it.

But if your child is the owner of a new microscope, I...
Published on December 29, 2005 by Learning All The Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title for the book....
Published 22 months ago by Forest7

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, but NOT a how-to manual., December 29, 2005
This review is from: A World in a Drop of Water: Exploring with a Microscope (Dover Children's Science Books) (Paperback)

But if your child is the owner of a new microscope, I recommend the Usborne book "The World of the Microscope" which will give you ideas for making your own slides and give tips for using the microscope.

For early-mid elementary aged kids, I also recommend "Greg's Microscope", which is a level 3 early reader that follows a young boy who yearns for a microscope, finally gets one, and learns to use it. THAT was the book that got my daughter to decide she wanted a microscope for Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best for young beginners, November 30, 2005
Dennis Mitton "tolstoy" (Seattleite in South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I spent about half of my childhood staring down the end of a microscope. This book is by far the best introduction to microsopy for children. The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the projects are such that almost anyone with a mud puddle or pond nearby can do them. It's hard to compete with video games but if your child has any interest in sciecne then this book, along with the tools that come with any microscope set, will open up an entire world of fun and learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 8, 2011
I bought my daughter a Compound Microscope for Christmas~~~~ I wanted her to explore a new world and to get away from the electronic world! But what I didn't know was how excited the microscope was for me to because of this book! We went down to a local pond and pulled out water from different area's like the book say's! We looked under the Microscope and the new life it was amazing! But what was the greatest was what I found among the seaweed looking float'y algae looking stuff (not sure what to call it)~~Life~ is what we found ~~~ Microscopic tiny life that thrived on the seaweed stuff! Unbelievable! Tip~~~shake off dirt and stuff from plant life from the pond into a Petri dish, just where there is enough water to cover the bottom and keep turning it under a microscope and see if you can see what we saw!! We are so excited that after it warms up outside we are going to different ponds and lakes to test our theory that different microscopic water life lives in different water settings! Bravo for this book!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 58 pages - very good, June 15, 2011
A short book about the things commonly viewable by a microscope that are found in pond water. Very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Microscope Companion, February 20, 2011
I bought this book for my son when I bought his microscope. It gives a nice overview of ways to use the scope, what to look for, and the how/why of little tiny microscopic things. It's written in an easy-to-use manner without being dumbed down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title for the book...., October 2, 2012
The book, "A World in a Drop of Water: Exploring with a Microscope" is a well written description of the world of microscopic animals found in water. It is well written on a basic level. However, the sub-title, "exploring with a microscope" is misleading. Besides a historical description about the origins of the microscope, there is nothing in the book related to microscopes. There are no pictures of microscopes, or even simple details on their use. There is little to connect the book to the microscope for young children. Even a picture of a child looking into a microscope would help make the content more related to the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says, March 28, 2010
I got this for my grand-daughter, who is 9 years old. She had no interest in it, but I won't let her disinterest diminish my rating. I thought and still think it is great for someone between 9 and 14, and beneficial to a lesser degree to someone in high school; a more advanced edition can be written for such people. Of course individuals vary, so some like my grand-daughter need to wait until maybe 14 to find herself more interested, as she matures. But some even 7 years old may be interested. Perhaps boys are more naturally interested at a younger age, on average. My advice is to talk to a young one first, to determine the degree of his/her interest, before buying any book on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK, January 5, 2011
I purchased this book to go with a microscope that I got for my son for Christmas. I wasn't sure he'd be so excited about the book, but, I've been finding him reading it a lot (and he's only 6)! He keeps quoting us little facts from the book, so I know he's understanding and retaining what he's learning from it...and I believe it's really been a great tool in keeping him excited about the microscope. Well-written and very educational!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a first book., September 14, 2009
extech (Dayton, OH) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 10 year old granddaughter. She asked for a microscope and I bought her one. since we have been to the pond together to get water for my microscope, I wanted to get her a book about pond water. This is not a how-to book as the first reviewer states, so I also bought a how-to book to go along with this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a color-descriptive book, January 29, 2014
I would have thought that a book describing water microbes would have been in color and not black and white on what looks like pages from a dollar store coloring book. Info wasn't bad, but there were a LOT fewer microbes described than a book like this should have had. VERY short.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›