5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I used this book for my intro college writing course. It's very helpful and provides an incredibly large range of of writings from many of the most important writers in human history from Lao-Tzu to Marxists, feminists and neuroscience. Probably not the greatest "sit down and read" book but definitely a great book for the classroom.
Published on August 22, 2011 by philstudent

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice!
Took a while to get here and it was torn but it's the right book and it was only $4.95 so for the most part it works.
Published 2 months ago by Delia Baca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 22, 2011
This review is from: A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A World of Ideas, November 21, 2011
I bought this book as required for a writing course that I'm taking as pre-requisite. As an adult learner, it's kind of difficult to go back and get stuff that you need for school AND to take it seriously.

The book is organized by the types of writing of the authors noted, from Machiavelli to Marx's Communist Manifesto.

The essay questions were challenging, but really designed to make the student think about the topics being proposed by each author.

I enjoyed working with this book and chose NOT to sell it back (despite that I could have used the money!) because I'd like to work with it on my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars I miss this book!, October 3, 2011
I used this book for my freshman English 1301 class. It is very thorough and interesting. I'm sad to say that I had to sell it because well, I'm a college student and need money! But it was one of the few books that I would have liked to keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars got it for a class but actually liked it, February 18, 2014
I originally was required to buy this book for a college course, but the stories and philosophies are real really fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars purhased used, February 18, 2014
This books looks new! Great low price too. $10! I couldnt find a rate this low at my school or ebay.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, January 30, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars adequate college level essay helper, December 4, 2013
Some of the chapters in the book were missing and my daughter had trouble finishing her assignment. I don't think I would buy another used book again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A World of Texts, October 20, 2013
Wow! I was completely impressed on how much I was able to take from these texts! The 8th edition has a wonderful range of ancient to contemporary texts. From Plato to Lao-Tzu, Virginia Woolf, Jim Mason and Pete Singer. Though, I did use this book for a class, what I learned will take me through many walks of life. This book contains enough texts to address (maybe not answer but address) all the complex issues of humanity. This is a great book for extreme annotation, with critical thinking questions from the author at the end of each piece! Awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, September 3, 2013
this book has many little stories captured into one. it is a very inspiring book for English. This is a recommended/ required book for college in English 2.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing pages and no reply from seller!!!!, August 20, 2013
I like this book and enjoy reading it. However as I approached half of the book, i realized that about the whole section 5 is missing. I wrote to the seller and heard nothing from them now. I am talking about more than 100 pages missing and no one has gotten back to me!!! Seriously!!! Amazon certainly has to keep close eyes to this kind of sellers. What a shame.....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa62e4648)

A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers
A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers by Lee A. Jacobus (Paperback - March 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $2.49