5.0 out of 5 stars This album is Slammin'!!, June 6, 2009
This review is from: My World (MP3 Music)
I didn't think people made music like this anymore. If you enjoy listening to James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, the Meters, The Dap Tones and other soulful groups like the one's just mentioned...then you WILL like this album. Buy it! Buy it Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Serious?, June 3, 2009
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
I have not bothered to write a review in minute. Lee Fields and the Expressions have created a time-capsule masterpiece that will definitely be reaching the hearts of all the hopeless romantics. Honey Dove is my personal favorite. I threw it on at a party and had everybody in the house like WHAT?!? Hopefully, this cat will not be missed at the Grammys. One thing I need to add is that Lee Fields sounds nothing like James Brown. I keep hearing people make the comparison and there just isn't one. Keep an eye out for Mayer Hawthorne, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like the other mixes of a bunch of these tunes better, June 29, 2009
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
dope sound for sure, cant wait to see them live. wonder why the mixes from the fallin off the reel (vol. 2) sampler didnt make it? they have a more rugged and sticky sweet vibe that i personally prefer. these mixes sound a bit more sterile, so definitely check those others out. no matter -- the songs are what stand out. perfect sounds for summertime 2009. buy the vinyl!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing!, June 10, 2010
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
I had a friend turn me on to Lee Fields and the Expressions, don't forget about the Expressions they can lay it down. I agree with some of the other reviewers, i couldn't believe that someone still made music like this. It has this awesome throwback vibe with a true grit sensibility. the whole album is stacked and you can listen to it beginning to end. Talking about this cat Lee Fields, mannnnn they don't make voices like this anymore. It's soul and style and substance all in one, the way real music used to be. The tone of the album instantly gets your attention. you can hear this album in your ears but you feel it in your heart. There's even an instrumental track that i could leave on a loop in my car permanantly. Let me talk a second about the expressions, i am in utter disbelief at how tight these guys are and they are a COMPLETE band... horns, strings, and percussion. If you like soul or funk or just well made meaningful music, this is a treat. I could go on and on about it but i won't. Do yourself a favor and pick up this album. You can thank me later! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars - A modern soul classic, August 26, 2010
The people behind Desco, Soulfire, and now Daptone Records & Truth And Soul,
continue to produce funk and soul music that sometimes stand right alongside
the real thing from the late 60s and early 70s.
Lee Fields has been around for quite some time, and this really should be his
breakthrough record.
"Honey dove" is amazing, this is the third time he has recorded it, and this
time Lee Fields & The Expressions gets everything right. It a modern soul
classic, with Leon Michels, Homer Steinweiss and the rest of The Expressions
cooking with natural soul behind Mr. Fields. Other smoking tracks are "Money
Is King", "My World" and the cool instrumental "Expressions Theme".

If you are a newcomer to the modern funk and soul scene, and want to check out
some other stuff, I highly recommand these albums:
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 days, 100 nights.
Sugarman Three - Pure Cane Sugar.
The Whitefield Brothers - In The Raw.
Spanky Wilson & The Quantic Soul Orchestra - I'm Thankful.
The Budos Band - The Budos Band.

4.0 out of 5 stars funky fellow, October 28, 2009
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
Anyone who loves funk a la James Brown, will love this album. Not a copy cat, but a soul man with both raw emotion and slick musicality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this man record a bad album?, April 6, 2014
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
No. Lee Fields's work is always worth a listen, and then a thousand more listens. Buy this and every other album he has ever done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Fields is 4 Real, May 24, 2012
This review is from: My World (MP3 Music)
Saw the man and his amazing band live in San Francisco. They played all the songs of this album and then some. This music is a throw back to the great music of the late 60's early 70's. He has James Brown moves and a Bobby Womack voice, but looks like Little Anthony. :) Best to see him live to truly enjoy the great gems of this collection. I am a new fan for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars most impressive, April 10, 2012
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
I'm very happy to have discovered Lee Fields. I first heard him on a MOJO magazine CD sampler of Rolling Stones songs a few months ago and was blown away by his voice: pure southern soul, marinated with honey and hickory barbecue sauce! Where had this guy been hiding all these years? He's obviously not a young new singer. To my delight, I saw that he's recorded several albums, so I ordered this one to see if it would click, and I'm happy to report that it sure did; an excellent set of songs. I only wish they had included some songwriting credits and additional info with the CD package; there is almost nothing in the way of liner notes, except for a list of musicians on the album. Nonetheless, this is a must listen for fans of 70s soul music. Of course this is NOT music from the 70s; was recorded only a couple of years ago, but the music retains that special 70s vibe. Personally, I don't quite get the James Brown comparisons; the songs on this album don't quite have that deep JB funkiness, and the horn arrangements are more subtle, but the songs certainly do have lots of soul and vigor. I'll be buying more albums by Lee Fields ASAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Listening Enjoyment, December 4, 2011
This review is from: My World (Audio CD)
If you like great bluesy vocals backed by a tight band with horn arrangments reminiscent of the James Brown band, then you'll definitely want this album. Lee delivers with powerful vocals of days gone by. He actually sounds like james, (albeit words are distinguishable)but in his own style. The Expressions band are a main attraction on there own, with tight horn arrangement accompanied by changing guitar licks and a driving bass line (don't know who the bass player is, but he's good.........real good. You won't be dissappointed.

My World
My World by Lee Fields (Audio CD - 2009)