5.0 out of 5 stars VIVA PEACE
Published 5 months ago by John Z.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hurried? His medical issues? Doesn't feel solid or cohesive
Like most anyone who acquires a Morrissey CD you're very likely already a rabid fan. So this is mostly preaching to the choir, right?

Published 2 months ago by forkboy1965

5.0 out of 5 stars VIVA PEACE, July 18, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
On his latest and first full length album of all new material in five years ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’, Morrissey has seemingly turned back the hands of time with perhaps his strongest set of tunes in 20 years. In this humble reviewer’s opinion, it could very easily fit in comfortably with any of the ‘Viva Hate’ and ‘Bona Drag’ sessions and also contains echoes of ‘Your Arsenal’ and ‘Vauxhall And I’.

The production by Joe Chiccarelli is top notch and harkens back to the Stephen Street years. Morrissey’s voice is in top form, sounding as strong as ever. All of the trademark yelps, swoons, moans, groans and growls are there, along with his impeccable phrasing. He is quite simply one of the most original, distinctive and unmistakable voices in pop music history.

Musically his band has never sounded tighter or more self-assured. Led by long time co-hort Boz Boorer, they have crafted a beefy, muscular album with just the right blend of delicate nuance to deliver an overall balanced sound. The album is full of crunchy guitars, steady bass and perfectly delivered drumming all interspersed with a variety of interesting sounds from Spanish horns and castanets to flamenco guitar and French accordion. Along with the usual orchestral flourishes we have come to expect, they have created perhaps his most internationally flavored album to date, which ultimately brings a nice cohesion to Morrissey’s unique and signature sound.

Subject matter is typical Morrissey fare, ranging from dead poets and animal cruelty to unrequited love and power hungry sycophants.

Standout tracks include ‘Staircase At The University’, ‘The Bullfighter Dies’ and ‘Kiss Me A Lot’ which are instant Moz classics and are destined to find their way onto future ‘Best Of’ compilations.

All in all, Morrissey has delivered a stellar and solid album which he should be very proud of. It is a marvelous addition to his already hall of fame cannon of recordings. World peace may be none of your business, but this album certainly should be. Bravo Morrissey!!! We await your encore.

5.0 out of 5 stars She Crammed Night and Day!, July 15, 2014
Dr. D (The Boondocks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
And I'm cramming this album into my head just as much!

What can I say....I love this new Moz album, and it's his finest post-You Are The Quarry effort to date. I'd say it's neck-and-neck with Ringleader of the Tormentors (although Ringleader had some of the best B-sides I've ever heard). Years of Refusal is awful compared to World Peace; I found YoR to be way too noisy. With World Peace, Morrissey is in fine lyrical form and there are really catchy hooks throughout most of the songs.

All the tracks are worth listening to over and over, but I'd like to point out that "Staircase At The University" is my favorite track off the album. This track is CLASSIC Morrissey, perhaps going back to his Viva Hate/Bona Drag era. The melody/rhythm is all there, and the lyrics are just so witty. Kind of reminds me of November Spawned a Monster. And then more than halfway through the song, you get that quintessential Morrissey crooning: "Her head split 3 wayyyyyy---ayy-ay-ay-----wayyyyy-----ayyy-ayyyy-ayysss". Just brilliant. For this track alone, the album is worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who By Fire, Who In Your Merry Merry Month Of May, August 22, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
World Peace Is None Of Your Business is one of those songs Morrissey does that is double edged. He seems to be having a go at those who vote and those who protest and demonstrate suggesting it is all quite pointless. But the title and main point of the song is that this apathy does not sit comfortably with anyone.

Neal Cassady Drops Dead is a message song from Morrissey to those persons who tend to feel sorry for themselves. Victim or life's adventurer. Which of the two are you? It is a live before you die song. Neal Cassady hung around with Allen Ginsberg and Kerrouac. Apparently he had a glint in his eye and lived before he died. He started out as a petty criminal and could have played the victim card before the Grim Reaper paid him a visit at the age of 42. This track is straight on to my Morrissey A-list.

I Am Not A Man is Morrissey distancing himself from the human race. It is quite a thought provoking song about just what it means to be human or 'manly' and what that is perceived to be. Eating animals is included in this discussion.

Istanbul narrates a father looking for his young son in Istanbul, finding him to be dead. This is bleak stuff: 'When he first cried his mother died'. The boy's life is sketched out with so few words. Not even a chink of light here. The music is suitably intense.

Earth Is The Loneliest Planet Of All. Apparently so, those seven words do pack a punch especially when you consider the plethora of planets out there. I've visited a few myself and they are lonely places. Day after day you say one day, time after time you say next time. Unfulfilled hope often accompanies the lonely. Morrissey is the master of repetition and laconic wit. I'm not convinced he got it right in this song, however, which is slightly repetitive and he needs to watch when he indulges in the overuse of the same phrase sometimes. This track has a Mexican feel - a particular feature of this album.

Staircase At The University is a catchy track with a bit of oboe. Do parents really exert such pressure on their kids? This doesn't really ring true with me. Maybe in some foreign cultures at a push (down the stairs). Like the way three AAA's rhymes with the three wa AAA ys (her head was split open). Student suicide is real, of course - but for me the song is stronger if he just describes what happens like he does in Istanbul. A great tune and Morrissey soars as he sings Crammin', jammin', pack-em-in rammin' Chock-a-block box, power study, polish up, And if it breaks your heart then don't come running to me, Crammin', jammin', pack-em-in rammin' Chock-a-block box, power study, polish up, And if it breaks your legs then don't come running to me'. Sometimes he is so good I'm lost for words.

The Bullfighter Dies. More death, more wordplay. I'm not fond of this subject matter and could not be less interested in the bullfighter or the blinking bull for that matter. This death is 'lighter' than the student in the previous song. It is one no one cares about. Nobody cries. Lighter music provides a little relief from the all the heaviness of the record so far.

Kiss Me A Lot is one for those who are fans of Morrissey the man (as opposed to his work). Let them fantasise away. A light-hearted bolero. Besame Mucho.

I'm not really sure what Morrissey has in mind with Smiler With Knife. Maybe a little bit of submission. The life long sort that is shortly to end.

Kick The Bride Down the Aisle is a misogynistic rant - kind of cynical and way off mark for normal people. Steven, it is really nothing - but - marriage is a wonderful thing. Maybe it is not a big universal statement, just a little particular case.
Edit (1 week later): It has occurred to me that this is probably from the perspective of the parent(s) of the bride who would be in the know :) tidying rooms, aisle function, etc - whey hay !! Silly me.

Mountjoy is a prison in Dublin and there is also a three foot half wit in a wig. That will be judge - a familiar target. This is a less than cheery ode to joy where everyone is a loser whether they are rich or poor. The music descends at the end in a clever way in this thoroughly miserable track.

The rhythm of the Oboe Concerto mirrors the rhythm of life and the narrator senses time is short as the older generation has tried, sighed and died leaving him at the head of the queue . A strange end to one of Morrissey's best albums. This album is very consistent musically and for this reason I think it is right up there - possibly his best solo record - serious kudos to Boz and the crew for finding the tunes and bringing in some world sounds with a Latin American flavour often at the forefront.

Bonus Tracks

Morrissey seems to be fond of Scandinavia. 'I want to live and I want to die in Scandinavia' is quoted from the Swedish national anthem. There is some suggestion that Viking brutality is still alive and well despite how laid back they all are. They will eventually stab him but only at a nice leisurely pace. It is easy to miss the humour in this song (I kiss the soil, I hug the soil, I eat the soil ha ha) as Morrissey sings how he wants to live and be stabbed in Scandinavia. The high profile crime cases in Norway and Trondheim are probably in there somewhere but this is actually quite a playful track. The suitably overblown music reminds me of 'Sweden' by Neil Hannon which happens to be even more over the top; must be something about the place.

Standing At The Stone One Of Our Own describes someone who 'took the lead, aimed for my head', 'took the plug and hit the rug'. Yet another dead person is remembered, one who 'took the blast, his very last.' 'He took a round and he hit the ground.' The last line 'I have no use for tomorrow' is quite poignant with the feeling that the singer's life is over now too, now that they lost the one they love.

In Drag The River a river is, of course, more death imagery a feeling that permeates this whole album much as the last one did I seem to remember. At first it is a bit much but after a few spins the sheer negativity sort of settles down and it is something we all experience and can relate to. The great taboo. This track is particularly poetic - even on paper - something he should maybe try sometime - a wee book of poems.

It is tough to Forgive Someone as Morrissey reminds us. Secrets and betrayal are hinted at in an untold story. There are no details provided but 'our truth will die with me' is perhaps referring to the tough to do concept of forgiving and forgetting.

Julie In The Weeds. The urban dictionary has informed me that to be in the weeds is to fall behind or be overwhelmed eg. like an over busy waitress. An Americanism. Lying down in the weeds may mean chilling out in middle of such a hectic scenario. "North, east, south, west, no one has a clue" is a particularly melodic line that has me shouting along in agreement as it depicts a world gone mad no matter what direction you look. This track is a little mysterious and I wonder if he has a particular Julie in mind be it a Christie, Walters, Andrews or London.

The exhilarating Art Hounds has the line 'Below the belt it is shrivelled and small - it functions only as a word'. Ouch. This is an intellectual version of Reader Meet Author and highlights something very common - the unrealistic and a little bit sad person lost in the world of arty criticism one who's life is opera, judging art, tv, books the whole shebang. What is real and what is fake? Does life imitate art or does art intimidate life ? What is the meaning? The track explores the boundaries between art and reality. It is classic Morrissey - the guy is on another level as a lyricist at times so stunning it is as if the songs have always been written.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect calm during the storm, July 15, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
Here I'm listening to Morrissey's new album as thunder & lightning rage from the NYC sky,and what a great soundtrack this makes.Having had a mixed reaction to the pre-album singles (loved the title cut,the other 2 not so much),I didnt know what to expect.But as soon as I heard the deliciously evil guitar fuzz & beat as Morrissey slyly sings "Neal Cassady drops dead and Allen Ginsberg's tears shampoo his beard" in "Neal Cassady Drops Dead" I was glad that I did.The song morphs into "November Spawned A Monster"'s evil twin in the climax.Already a favorite.Then you have the next song "I'm Not A Man" which is one of his most emotional epic songs in some time (and as an animal loving misanthrope myself,I can listen to this great song all day).The screaming in the end is both chilling and beautiful.Other standouts include the bouncy "Staircase at the University" and the acoustic lullaby of betrayal "Smiler with Knife" (both classic Moz that would have fit any of his earlier solo albums).Kiss Me A Lot" is the album's only filler with dopey lyrics.The album ends with three haunting & somewhat theatric "Goodbye" songs-Kick The Bride,Mountjoy & Oboe Concerto.

Overall,WPINOYB is much more like You Are The Quarry then the two harder albums that followed it,and his best album since then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hurried? His medical issues? Doesn't feel solid or cohesive, October 24, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably the most difficult Moz release for me to wrap my head around. I don't think I can lay a finger on exactly why it doesn't work for me as well as pretty much anything else he's done, but it just feels kinda wrong. Maybe disjointed? Maybe a bit hurried? I don't know.

I feel a number of the songs have some solid potential, but fall short (hurried?). I think the band, by and large, sounds very good and the quality of the recording is fine. It's Moz. He's missing something here.

And now that we know of his medical issues I'm wondering if maybe this release was done in a hurry (if only to get out of the studio and into bed with a cuppa, right?). Or perhaps he simply wasn't feeling his best and it is reflected in the work. I don't really know.

What I do know is I sincerely hope his health improves and that if this is cancer he's cured of it soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long Time Fan, Giving Morrissey More Than He Deserves, July 22, 2014
J. Vogele "eclectic eel" (Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
Upon first listening, this feels like one of those Prince albums of the late 90's, when Prince was dumping previously unreleased songs on the public in order to rush to fulfill his contract with Warner Brothers, a company to which he no longer wanted to be obligated. Only it's not Prince, it's Morrissey, and Morrissey has, of late, been having a hard time finding a recording contract. And now we know why.

This has to be one of the most uninspired recordings he has ever produced, and this is coming from a fan who has followed this man from his beginnings. I've seen him in concert multiple times, own just about everything he's ever committed to record ("reissue, repackage" et al), and at my advanced age, I still have 2' x 3' framed poster of "Viva Hate" hanging in my home. I am closer to Chicago, but chose to buy tickets to his scheduled show at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA, because the novelty of it, and as such, missed him on his last tour, when it was cancelled multiple times due to his struggle with Barrett's Esophagus, a disease that claimed my aunt's life, actually. My point being? Not just a casual fan.

There are some bright spots. And because this is a Morrissey album, by "bright" I mean good, not cheery. "The Bullfighter Dies," is pretty fantastic, and stands out as probably the best of what's here. "Smiler With Knife," has an eerie tone about it, one which Moz does not delve into often (remember "Jack the Ripper"?), but when he does, he does it expertly.

However, the title track is overly preachy, "Kiss Me A Lot," feels like something that the current teen pop idol should have recorded (maybe the irony is lost on silly old me?), and "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle," is another exercise in misogyny by Morrissey, one which he feels much too comfortable in doing. I could go on, but the point is, there is more bad than good.

If you must try this on yourself to see if you like it, do so with caution. The 18 track extended version is only for those who are into completing their collections, as most of the extra 6 tracks are rubbish. "Julie in the Weeds," is the only standout here.

So if you're new to Morrissey, please start somewhere else. The Smiths "The Queen is Dead," is a good place, or "Louder Than Bombs," as it has quite the variety. The aforementioned "Viva Hate," Morrissey's debut solo album (and still probably his best), would also do you well. 3 Stars from me, but he gets the third only because I'm a long time fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mount Morrissey, July 18, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
I realize I'm in the minority when I say "Years of Refusal" is my favorite Moz album but one can probably attribute that to my being a guitarist. That album is so rockin' and lyrically, quite amazing thru out. "You are the Quarry" - another fav...!

Having heard many of these songs live, the album is a bit disappointing... Live, the songs have so much energy and are edgier and (again, I know) feature more guitar.

This album is a bit uneven and would've benefited from a bit more time sculpting each tune. The highlights are: World peace, Bullfighter Dies, Earth is, Kick the Bride, Kiss me a lot, and Staircase.

Mount Joy needs more development in all areas... "I'm not a man," lyrically brilliant at times and off at other times. "Neal Cassidy," I salute for the experimentation. Sounds great with headphones. "Oboe Concerto," again, would've benefited from more refinement.

Having said all that, I do like the album and I continue to applaud Moz for a myriad of reasons (veg, political, etc.)... I love the man, so I will always be biased... His discography is 2nd to none...

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE MORRISSEY, July 15, 2014
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
Wonderful to hear brand new music from the legendary MORRISSEY. Very glad he released/wrote more music. This album is very good! Very new to me but I will describe the best I can. For starters, after listening through four times so far I can certainly tell this will be an album I will be stuck on for quite some time.

Songs that have caught most of my attention so far would be "Staircase At The University", "Earth is the Loneliest Planet", "Istanbul", "Kiss Me A Lot", "Art-Hounds". I adore every song except "The Bullfighter Dies"?!

I really like how they used the "WAA" petal in the song "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet". Nice guitar work in this album. Overall tho A very good album :) Makes me hope they go on tour again and visit St.Louis where I saw them on MORRISSEY's birthday(MAY 22 2007). Thanks for the memories MORRISSEY, will always love!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great ether, November 1, 2014
S. Kelly (Massapequa Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Audio CD)
Nothing will be good as Morrissey's first few releases. 'Istanbul' is my favorite off of 'World Peace is None of Your Business'. Yes, he is older and the subject matter of his songs has changed. I feel Johnny Marr is blowing past him now. As much as I yearned for a Smiths reunion, I feel Marr is doing an amazing job with them live. Especially since he is playing guitar on them and it's not one of Morrissey's guys.

I'm still a fan of Morrissey, but I listen to Marr's latest (Playland) way more than this release. Again, it's not bad, but not his best work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs more punch, October 2, 2014
There is a handful of songs that could use more of the passion and rebellion Morrissey is known for. More of a punch, I mean. But all in all it's a pretty decent album, although I think he's done better. It's OK that he decided to add Latino and Spanish flavors to his work but somehow it doesn't really match his style. It's a bit like putting Alice Cooper to sing tango.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
World Peace Is None Of Your Business by Morrissey (Audio CD - 2014)