on October 12, 2012
I received my copy today and here is what was in the box:

1 - Bradygames World of WarCraft Beginners Guide (A 256 page (7.25"x9.128") printed book - at first glance it looks useful.)

1 - Set of 2 disks - the box says WIN/MAC

1 - QuickStart Guide (A 17 page (4.5"x6.5") booklet - there is only 10 pages of actual content)

2 - World of WarCraft Guest Passes (The pass says "Enjoy World of Warcraft FREE up to level 20." There is no mention of a time limit, but I would suspect their standard 2 week limit would apply.)

1 - StarCraft Guess Pass (It mentions being able to play StarCraft II free up to the fourth mission.)

The Battle Chest outer box states "First month of play included." (I just entered the authorization code on my battlenet account and did receive 30 days.)

Oh, and my battlenet account lists my product level as:
World of Warcraft - Standard Edition
The Burning Crusade - Standard Edition
Wrath of the Lich Kink - Standard Edition

This all came from the Battle Chest authorization code.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2012
The picture is deceptive. It may look like it only has Classic + TBC, but it upgrades you all the way to Lich King on BattleNet when you activate it. Very good package deal. :D
on December 7, 2012
I have always been an avid gamer, both on the PC, as well as table top games, board games, D&D role playing games, etc. However, for YEARS I resisted playing ANY game that required me to PAY on a monthly basis to play. As a result, even though World of Warcraft had all of these high ratings, I closed my mind to it. Then one day a friend told me that he could give me a one month free trial to the game, pointing out that all my complaints about the computer games I played in the past (most recently Guild Wars 2), just might change my mind about what a good game might offer. Considering his words, and loving the word "FREE" (for one month), I decided to give it a shot. And I was very surprised. This game is really quite excellent. It has all the aspects of what I wanted to see in a very huge gaming world to explore, hundreds if not thousands of missions to go on, a sufficient amount of loot to gather, balanced combat, some degree of story background, absolutely stunning graphics (things don't have to be realistic to look "good enough") and fully immersed game play.

As my friend pointed out, these days, any fairly new and supposedly high end computer game will cost you probably $60, and maybe more if shipping charges are involved. And what do you get for that $60? Usually, a decent, but not outstanding game, that you'll play until you "win it" or until you realize you'll never win it, or that the game just gets boring or irritating with terrible controls, content, etc. Most likely, you'll play that $60 new game for perhaps 4-6 weeks, and quite likely will never play it again. (not always, but way too often, that's how it turns out) (Exceptions to me for this are games like Civilization V and Heroes of Might & Magic, which I will play for YEARS because they are so well designed and give me satisfaction - but variety is the spice of life, so the search never stops for GOOD games)

Bottom line, I really like World of Warcraft. Do I dislike the $15 a month to play it? Sure. But at least I got the boxed game for a reasonable price being as it's aged... aged like a good wine, I say. So I will play it until I get bored with it, or until I succumb to the drain on my wallet. Even if I only play it for 3 or 4 months, I will still get more enjoyment out of it than the typical $60 game and it won't likely have cost me any more to achieve that. A win, if you ask me.
on February 7, 2013
I didn't want to write a review of this game (what more can be said), but there is one important thing I didn't know when I bought this. Wrath of the Lich King (the second expansion, or the third edition) is now also included by default with ALL battle chests. There is no need to buy it separately.

Had I known this, I would have saved myself $10 on a useless DVD coaster.

All you need at the time of this review is 1. Battle Chest 2. Cataclysm 3. Mists of Pandaria

I don't think it matters which battle chest you buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2012
Excellent package, comes with all the expansions and a bunch of free goodies as mentioned in the listing.

If you want to pick up on the highly addictive WoW, this is a great way to start!

For under $50, this is a steal! Long ago, each expansion costed more than this pack triple fold.

There is a previous version which is cheaper, but you get one less expansion and even less goodies.

Invest in this one and worry about the newer expansions such as World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria later!

Value/Price: 5/5
Packaging: 5/5
Bonus goodies: 5/5
Being able to jump in with 1 go: 100/5

**Great Value item**
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2013
WoW is a good game for the right people. There is a $15 a month subscription fee, making it somewhat less suited to casual gamers. Also, it can feel a bit repetitive and grindy after a bit for some. I personally enjoy this game due to the number of classes to be played. Each class plays differently, making a unique feel. The trial allows leveling up to 20 now, which gives a chance to see if WoW entertains you. If seeking to buy WoW, the Battle Chest comes with the Base game, the First Expansion, and a guide to each. The guides are a HUGE help to new players, even providing common lingo used by players in-game. I advise against buying the 3rd and 4th Expansions until you decide you truly like this game.
on June 9, 2013
If you like these fantasy games, prepare to be hooked!

World of Warcraft is a great game that's been bring new content for almost 10 years. It is classified as a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, MMORPG. The best part of the Battle Chest, it contains two Expansion packs! World Of Warcraft Expansion: Burning Crusade and World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Expansion Pack

The essence of the game in short form, is that you create a character on one of two sides, Alliance or Horde, and you play through the massive world of Azeroth.

Until then, you can enjoy questing solo in the areas, taking your time to read the quest descriptions and learning the story of Warcraft. When you are playing, there are areas that are seperated by level, 1-10, 11-15, 15-20, etc that you will be playing in. If you follow the quest lines you should generally stay in areas that are appropriate for your character level.

There are also dungeons/instances that you can group up for. When Warcraft came out, you had to find your group by yourself and travel to the instance (where ever it was in the world). Now, you can simply use the Dungeon Finder and queue up for the instance as a Tank, Healer, or Damage. Each group is comprised of 1 Tank, 1 Healer, and 3 Damage players. Generally speaking, Tanks have an easier time finding groups, but some also believe it's more difficult to play as you are basically the leader of the group, you make sure all the enemies are attacking you and you protect the others. Each dungeon has a few bosses that your group will have to defeat, which will yield special gear that you can roll the dice for to see if you win it.

Not all classes use the same gear and not all gear is created equal. This is something you will explore more in depth as you start the game.

There are also professions that can keep you busy, from Alchemy, Blacksmithing, to Jewelcrafting, there are several professions that will provide hours of play time as you level each profession by creating new things.

Creating these items also leads to the Auction House where you can sell your wares to other players. This can be very profitable depending on how many items you post and how much you sell for. Supply and Demand is a real concept in this player run economy and making the wrong choices can leave you with no profit.

Overall, this game is excellent, there are many hours of fun to be had. You must pay a monthly subscription fee in the range of $15 a month, so be prepared for that. But if you think of it this way, most pay nearly $15 to see a 2 hour movie, this will give you 30 days of entertainment! The first month is included with the purchase of the base game, so at least you can try it before committing. If you're unsure still, go to the Worldofwarcraft dot com website to try out a Starter Account for FREE with NO credit card required.

Good luck, remember to take breaks and... there is so much more that I didn't cover, you'll be amazed.

P.S. This game does work on both Windows and Mac. You can also use the downloader at battle dot net (Blizzard's Website) once you create an account to download either the Mac or PC client.
on January 27, 2013
Contains all you need to get started in World Of Warcraft: Original World of Warcraft game, Burning Crusade expansion and Wrath of the Lich King expension, plus strategy guide, 2 7-day trials for WOW, and 2 7-day trials for Starcraft 2.

You WILL have to download a significant amount of updates for both the original game and expansions (because game has progressed so far from original pressing), so you won't be able to play immediately after installing. Install took over 1½ hrs on a NEW (fast) PC, plus another 2 hours of updates (left running overnight) before playable.
on May 18, 2013
I have not had the chance to play this game much yet, I will update it when I do. I just wanted to clarify a very important error. This game DOES work on Windows 8. I haven't had an issue thus far. I just wanted to post that immediately for those who were worried about this as much as I was.
on February 14, 2013
I got this for a steal after noticing it up for $5.00 by Amazon. The key worked and allotted 28 days game time, along with WoW, Burning Crusade and WoTLK. Shipping took a blazing 2 days and was of no concern. Great package deal for beginning this fantastic game!