5.0 out of 5 stars A must for WOW players
Published on August 28, 2012 by Refluxblue

3.0 out of 5 stars Characters felt "wrong," not up to Golden's usual standards
Published on November 13, 2012 by L Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for WOW players, August 28, 2012
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (Hardcover)
Well written with something for everyone. (unless you are a fan of Garrosh because he is really an ass in this story.) It helps to clarify how the Alliance and Horde will end up finding Pandaria and why they will be battling when they do. I like the edge Jaina has at the end of the book and I am glad she is finished brooding over the man who did her wrong (Arthas) and the one she can't have (Thrall). It was an easy read. (I read it straight through in under 2 hours.) It made me more excited for MoP and made me hope that the story will carry on in this expansion of the game. I like that it is written so that readers can follow all the major players (Jaina, Baine, Vol'jin, Varian, Kalecgos, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars And the Tides of Darkness flow once again., August 31, 2012
Jaina Proudmoore was a girl who only ever wanted to study. Constantly throughout her life however circumstances forced her into events that required her to step up as a leader and a fighter. First she watched as her adoptive homeland Lordaeron, capitol of the Alliance, was ripped apart by her beloved. Arthas, a man so obsessed with saving Lordaeron that he allowed himself to become everything he fought against and ultimately, the harbinger of its doom. Then she was forced to accept the help of a hated enemy of her people, the Orcish Horde, in order to stop an even greater threat from annihilating them both. It was this latter event that caused her to see the Horde not as the mindless savages that the Alliance had come to see them as. Instead she saw a people fighting desperately for their very survival in a world that rejected them utterly. She held this view so fiercely that she defied and killed her own father, Daelin Proudmoore, when he sought to destroy the Horde utterly and erase every trace of its existence. Jaina from that point on was ever a voice of reason and peace amidst a world ever torn apart by conflict.

Once again however the flow of events forces Jaina out of her comfort zone to put it mildly. Garrosh Hellscream, the newly appointed Warchief of the Horde, envisions a continent utterly under the control of the Horde and no one else. Instead of bearing the the trials and tribulations his people face Garrosh opts in stead to defy them with strength to match. His drive to make a place for his people leads him to go to ever greater lengths in the name of success. No tactic nor strategy is too despicable for Garrosh so long as he emerges victorious in the end. This brings in another facet of the story with the characters Vol'jin and Baine Bloodhoof, leaders of their respective peoples within the Horde. What can one do when you see that everything that you once stood for is thrown out the window, only to be replaced by something despicable and abhorrent to you? For Vol'jin and Baine there is no answer. They want to act desperately but know that they cannot. To defy Garrosh is tantamount to condemning their own people to death. In this a pointed question is asked; is it better to bow one's head and obey or to stand true to your principles even if it means your end?

As for the unfortunate Alliance in Garrosh's way; they need to be stamped out utterly and without mercy in an eery echo of Daelin's views that Jaina fought so hard against. Jaina finds herself directly in Garrosh's warpath, once again facing down the unwillingness of those around her to believe even for one moment that coexistence is possible. Despite this fact Jaina maintains her faith that there can be a lasting peace between the Alliance and the Horde, even if at this point it appears that all of her efforts were pointless. This all comes to an end when Jaina's world comes crashing down around her, both figuratively and literally.

Golden spends some time building up to this climactic event. Even when I knew exactly what was going to happen (Thank you very much WoW forum spoiler threads. >_>) it was nevertheless a heart wrenching moment. I often judge books by how strongly they can make me feel, and this one did a fantastic job. In Jaina's despondent stupor and subsequent anger you truly feel the overwhelming sense of loss. Jaina's beliefs are stricken to the core, and she almost becomes everything she decried, both in her father and in Garrosh.

This book to me very ably tells a story of a woman who must grapple with her own doubts and fears, trying desperately to hold true to herself in the face of overwhelming opposition that mockingly laughs at her every effort. In the face of such adversity, who can truly stand by their principles when all that you hold dear is turned to dust? When all is said and done, Jaina emerges changed irrevocably. She is forced to admit the shortcomings of her ideals and must reconcile with them.

I skipped over the specific details of the story in order to give anyone who is reading this an honest opinion without giving much away. Too often I see reviews that pretty much summarize entire events or facets of the book which sort of ruins the experience of learning about it yourself. While the writing style of this book is a simplistic one, at no point did I feel like my intelligence was being insulted while reading it. It is apparent in the beginning of the book, but after awhile I stopped noticing, so engrossed was I in the story. For any WarCraft fan I would say this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best WoW Book, April 29, 2013
I preordered this book and read it in one sitting. It was so good I just couldn't stop reading. It really gave me insight into Jaina and the other characters. I loved reading it and then being about to go into World of Warcraft and see how it all connected together. The author does a great job at being true to the characters as they are presented in World of Warcraft. This is a must read for anyone who wants some more back story on just what happened to Jaina before coming to the Isle of Thunder.

5.0 out of 5 stars I quit hating Jaina. Finally., September 14, 2012
Christie Golden does an excellent job at finally making Jaina likable. The narrative is tight, some characters that have been terribly static for 8 years finally get some development, and I finally quit hating Jaina, which is a feat in itself. It's not a short read, but I plowed through it in about 8 hours because I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, September 12, 2012
Jorge Luis Severino (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I really liked this novel. The writing style the author used was so great that i couldn't put the book down until i was done. The story itself is a great tie in between World of Warcraft current expansion Cataclysm and their upcoming one Mist of Pandaria. Thus gives anyone some closure on what has happened in the time between the two expansions. Plus thanks to this book, the characters within World of Warcraft are more realistic to me now. And most important i was able to feel myself part of the story.

Read it you won't be disappointed. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great book, March 5, 2013
This book shows you everything you need to know about the status of the Horde. It also is a great book for Jania. Though the romance in this book is weak and hardly hinted at, it was still noticeable. The power ups however were a bit much. *SPOILER*

The fact that Garrosh could just summon krakens when ever he felt like it made no sense. I mean where did they even come from in the WoW universes? We only saw one and that one didn't have any friends. Garrosh is somewhat like a magician pulling rabbits out his hat in this book. Jania as well, having an army of water elementals and creating a Tsnomni to destroy orgimmar was a bit much but very suspenseful!

I love this book and the things I mention above were my only grips and did not hinder me in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Characters felt "wrong," not up to Golden's usual standards, November 13, 2012
I usually love Golden's Warcraft novels, and I liked the story in this one, but some things "rubbed me the wrong way" while reading this one, so to speak. First was Jaina. She's annoying and whiny in the first half of the book, and then angry and homicidal in the latter half - neither version quite "fits" with the Jaina character as she has been developed in past books in my opinion. Although, at least when she is homicidal she is finally a little interesting.

More importantly, we have a love story AGAIN. Lately we seem unable to have a book without a love story in this universe. Love stories are great, but do we need one every time? When they are established love stories in the lore, like Jaina and Arthas were, it's one thing. When it's a new story randomly jammed into the plot, its another. Are they unable to come up with an interesting enough plot to sustain a story without one? Honestly, I felt the plot in this book was interesting enough and didn't need the sub plot of a romance to sustain it. At this point it feels like the Warcraft books are falling into a pre-written foil that the author just fills in to complete a new book. Let's see some more originality.

Along the same lines, what is going on with the naive Anduin? He seems more child like and naive in this novel than in the previous novels, and it makes for some discontinuity, not to mention it makes it hard to identify with his character.

Similarly to the love story complaint, why do we beat the same themes to death? I understand we want continuity in the story, and that we want the Horde and Alliance to continue having tension and that there will continue to be new bad guys who will share similarities, but the novels are really starting to run together. Insert love story, insert new bad guy, escalate tensions between the horde and alliance, insert speeches by Jaiana, Thrall, and/or Anduin about peace.

It was a good underlying story, and I enjoyed the book, but I really feel the novels are starting to run together and lose any originality whatsoever. I am not expecting a whole lot from these novels, but I do think it's reasonable to expect some originality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 21, 2012
This is one of the best books i have read in a long time. Who ever has not read this book is depriving themselves of a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at my disapointment, September 7, 2012
I bought this book because it featured Jaina, but as I was reading the early chapters, I found myself wanting to read about the other characters except Jaina. I haven't gotten to the halfway point of the book before I started mutterring about how much I do not care about Jaina's persoanl life. The character felt more 'whinney' than strong. I understand that the character had to be made more human for the trials ahead of the story, but as I was reading, I could not find it in me to care. My fealings got worse once Kaleco was added and the author started given hints of a budding relationship. To me, Jaina had more life to her when she was seeking revenge - which I felt she gave up on it a little too easy. Vo'jin, Baine, Hellscream, Sylvanas - that side of the story was more interesting than the main character.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay addition to Warcraft lore, but not great., November 2, 2014
This is not Christie Golden's finest work. It's not a terrible book, don't get me wrong. The main issue I had with Tides was the pace. It's just an extremely slow moving novel. This is made worse by the fact that there is a war going on that seems to be taking forever. I also felt kind of detached from the characters this go around. I couldn't make a connection with Jaina, Garrosh, or Kalecgos, even though they were central to the story. I did enjoy all of the Baine Bloodhoof segments, however, and I found myself looking forward to those more than any other parts. It's worth checking out if you want to keep up with what's going on in World of Warcraft, but as a stand-alone work, it's kind of flat.

World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War by Christie Golden (Hardcover - August 28, 2012)
$26.00 $19.07