4.0 out of 5 stars Great Warcraft book, don't hesitate to buy!
As an avid fan of the Warcraft series and lore, I found this book great. The story and action were detailed but doesnt drag on. The action sequences are epic and the storyline itself is well written.

Overall the book is written pretty well except for some minor pet peeves that I have.

Heres some information for you Knaak, if an object is fired from a...
Published on September 18, 2011 by Kyle Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars Another entry in WoW Lore
Published 21 months ago by Jason

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Warcraft book, don't hesitate to buy!, September 18, 2011

Heres some information for you Knaak, if an object is fired from a bow, its called an arrow, if its fired from a crossbolt THEN you can call it a bolt......

But seriously, check this book out. Its a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great WoW Novell; Must Read for Alliance Players, October 31, 2011
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (Kindle Edition)
Okay, I have to admit this book surprised me. I went in expecting Knaak to be his usual self. While I'm not among his legion of haters, I will admit that Golden is usually the superior writer. Not this time. Richard Knaak has outdone himself, taking the characters of Tyrande, Malfurion, Varian, and Maiev and bringing them to live with an interesting story about acceptance, both of others and oneself.

First, I want to address the complaints about "bland characterizations." I'm often wondering if I read the same book as some other people. Yes, Varian Wrynn does start off his usual, obstinate, annoying self. But one of the plots of this book is deconstructing that, and moving Varian past his "King/Gladiator" dichotomy and making him one whole, balanced person again.

Tyrande is a bit sticker question. In World of Warcraft, the character has done remarkably little, so her only "in-game" characterization comes from Warcraft III, where she was a bloodthirsty, borderline racial supremacist who had no qualms murdering her own people if they got in her way. In other words, she was a lot like Maiev. Does Knaak portray her differently? Yes. he treats her a High Priestess. Someone's who believes in faith and hope, and thinks carefully before acting. I personally find this characterization vastly more endearing than the one from WCIII, who I didn't care if she lived or died. To each their own. As for accusations that she just sits there, that again, is overlooking her role in the conference, and her own (admittedly short) fight scenes.

Okay, back to the review. If you loathe Knaak's style, this book probably won't change your mind. But if you've been on the fence, or merely didn't like his own author-created characters, "Wolfheart" may just change your mind.

For Alliance fans, this book gives the faction a much needed boost of morale. In the game itself, the Alliance has taken the short end of the stick in regards to the storyline. By the third act, Varian Wrynn has finally mastered his rage and (some of) his prejudices, and leads the Alliance to it's first major victory in the face of the new Horde Blitzkrieg.

My other reservation is for new readers. If you're not already familiar with the Warcraft world, you'll be a bit lost by what's going on. This book is *not* a jumping on point for those not already familiar with Warcraft lore. Try "Rise of the Horde" or "Arthas: Rise of the Lich King" instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., September 14, 2011
David (SPRINGFIELD, VT, United States) - See all my reviews
Wolfheart is a fairly good palate cleanser after 'Thrall' where it's much less about one man trying to save the world, then people trying to hold onto, or get back what they've once had.

Like usual Knakk knows how to write action like nobody's business, with gut wrenching action both on and off the battlefield. All the characters are already fairly established in lore, so there's not much need for extensive character building, and this book does help fill in and resolve things going on Alliance side after the cataclysm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfheart, December 31, 2011
I bought this book for my husband for Christmas. He's read all the other World of Warcraft books and he'd been mentioning for a while that he wanted to add Wolfheart to his collection. As is usual with him, he finished the book in just a few days. Actually, he can usually do it in about a day, but I had a baby in October and he's been a stay-at-home dad since I went back to work at the end of November. He said he enjoyed the book, although he prefers the stories that are written by Christie Golden better. Apparently, Knaak has a habit of incorporating dragons into his books even when it's not quite appropriate. Also, the story bounces around quite a bit and it can be hard to keep track of what's going on. Other than that, my husband liked the book and was on Amazon less than an hour after he finished it, looking to see if any more World of Warcraft books were scheduled to come out soon. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for them as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining to say the least, October 7, 2011
Despite that this novel starts off a bit all over the place, Knaak has done a marvelous job at creating an atmosphere that literally transports the reader. The keypoints to this novel are of course, Alliance triumph, the Night Elves struggle, and further story support for the Greymane Worgen. Beautiful read. At the beginning I couldn't wait to get into the action, and by the end I simply didn't want to chapters to end. Action sequences alone are worth the read. Plus? Lore is always fun. :) Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Richard Knaak, February 16, 2013
Ken (San Jose) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (Kindle Edition)
I have gotten to the point where I just look for books written by Richard Knaak. The books he produces are incredibly detailed and well thought out. I always find myself buried deep in the story every time I pick one up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mislead, January 29, 2013
The book is one of unique taste. I don't think it was bad, just I'm not interested in Night elves. I bought this book because I thought it will be about the guy on the cover Varian. When in fact more than seventy percent of it is about Night elves and their mystery assassin. If I wasn't such a Varian fan I'll give this a book a thumb down. The book title said wolfheart, so you expect to see most of the book talk about worgens and Varian but it did not. The assassin killing highborne should have been side story at best not the main piece. If the worgen and King varian plot switch places with the night elf and the assassin plot it would be a whole new story. I meant the book should be called Jarod's journey not wolfheart because it barely dealt with the subject.I'm just saying, if you want to buy this book to know more about Varian or the worgens don't. Just read wiki page. If you want to know more about the night elfs then go and buy it.I insist, the title though is misleading as hell

3.0 out of 5 stars Another entry in WoW Lore, September 28, 2012
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book as a way to get insight into Varian's personality, and how the people of Gilneas came to join the alliance. The book is a quick read, and I enjoyed it more than some of Knack's other entries in the world. To be fair, this is not Tolkien or Wolfe. The story is casual and entertaining, but it is not high fantasy. If you enjoy the Warcraft world and lore, and you want to know more about the characters, you'll enjoy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many pages for few important events, July 12, 2012
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (Kindle Edition)
The story is too long and the relevant events only appear in a few chapters, mostly in the end... it's like 70% of the book says about nothing. I felt this while reading the book "Stormrage" too, so I don't think I'll buy more Knaak books from now on.

But still, it's not like the book is bad. It's ok. I just don't like this "slow content" style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, November 4, 2011
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (Kindle Edition)
I didn't expect much from this title and am not much of a reader, but with power going out during the storms and nothing to do I picked this up and I couldn't put it down even after the power came back on. There is a big over arching story and many minor ones in between to keep you entertained.

More of a Alliance focus this is a must have for Alliance fans. Great read and hope to see more like this in the future.

World of Warcraft: Wolfheart