5.0 out of 5 stars Is it live or is it Memorex?
"Do you see the microphones up in the air? Do you see them? Do you know what we're doing tonight? We're doing a live recording tonight!"

Published on September 18, 2005 by Run Like Hell

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Music , But...
I love WORLD WIDE LIVE. Musically, I give it 5 stars, but the remastered version only deserves one. Why? The remastering job stinks. The once powerful guitars are now buried in the mix. It sounds lame. Get a copy of an old tape instead. Once you do that, you'll see how awesome this album really is. All the songs really come alive here.
Published on October 16, 2000 by Peter

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Music , But..., October 16, 2000
Peter (Glendale, N.Y.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it live or is it Memorex?, September 18, 2005
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)

Those words spoken by Scorpions' lead singer Klaus Meine are ingrained in my mind and my ears. Hearing him address his captivated audience always brings a smile to my face as I attempt to mimic his German accent by repeating his lines. When I think of the greatest live albums from the Silver Age of Heavy Metal (the 80's), only two come to mind, Iron Maiden's Live After Death and the Scorpions' World Wide Live. I've already given Live After Death its due, so now it's time to lend my thoughts on the other stellar live album by the most famous hard rock band to come out of Germany.

Following the release of their previous studio effort, Love At First Sting, the Scorpions embarked on their most successful world tour to date. Although not quite as extensive as Iron Maiden's legendary World Slavery Tour, the '84-85 Sting Tour was still impressive. Spanning 152 dates, the Scorpions performed for thousands of fans throughout Europe, Japan, South America, Canada and 41 states in the USA. World Wide Live captures not only the intense energy of this quintet but the enthralled fans as well. The entire tour is encapsulated on this one record.

"Year after year out on the road

It's great to be here to see you all

I know for me it is like coming home"

Released in the same year as Live After Death in 1985, World Wide Live touches on all the most popular tracks from the Scorpions four best albums; Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, and Love At First Sting. The period during which those four records were made (between 1979 and 1984), the Scorpions created their most lasting music and established themselves as one of the true hard rock heavyweights of the 80's. Each track is a lesson in Simple Songwriting 101 - melodic rhythms marked by memorable lyrics that will stick in people's minds ("Rock You Like A Hurricane", anyone?). Their sizzling grooves and irresistible hooks are executed to perfection and highlighted by the cheering crowds. Their showmanship is nearly upstaged by the excitement of their fans.

"Day after day out on the road

There's no place too far that we wouldn't go

We go wherever you like to rock'n roll"

More than just a cassette tape...

When I was in high school, this was the tape my friends and I would to take down to Riverside Park next to the Mississippi River. We'd hang out all night, shoot the breeze and listen to World Wide Live on continuous playback. As the prototypical teenagers cutting our teeth on various post-puberty crises, we were indestructible and on top of the world. Our anxieties were always more important than anything else and the only things that mattered more were our self-declared independence and our music. In 1985, World Wide Live become the soundtrack for our lives and took us away to place we would only dream about.

"Year after year out on the road

It's great to be here to rock you all

I know, for me it is like coming home

Like coming home..."

We wanted to be rock stars like the Scorpions. We wanted to come home to the stage like they did night after night. We wanted an entire audience in Paris, France singing the lyrics to "Holiday" back to us. In a way, the Scorpions allowed us to live our fantasy through them. Though unrealized, World Wide Live kept our dream alive and gave us hope. When I hear this album now, I am quickly returned to that park pavilion where the moon dances off the slick picnic tables providing the only light. My friends entertain with cigarette tricks as the music blares from the first generation jam box. For a few moments, we are rock stars.

"Let me take you far away

You'd like a holiday

Exchange the cold days for the sun

Good times and fun

Let me take you far away

You'd like a holiday"

Scorpions' fans know that World Wide Live capped off a series of their finest work. This album is as good as it gets and will have a permanent place in the heavy metal history books. Sadly, this record will be dog-eared because it ended a marvelous run that the Scorpions would never come close to duplicating. Although, it should be remembered for more. The Scorpions will be forever defined by their 80's brand of AOR hard rock/heavy metal and the enthusiasm of their fans world over. World Wide Live demonstrates both equally. I cannot recommend this album high enough to fans of 80's hard rock and heavy metal.

1.0 out of 5 stars LAME, January 17, 2012
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
When I first bought this on Chrome tape this album freaking ROCKED. Whoever remastered it was a total @#$%^!!! Needless to say the version includes 6 string sting but it was done with such low volume that Klaus sounds like hes an act in a bowling alley. This thing was so loud it would rip your ears off and jump up and down on them and make them bleed. It is one of the best albums I have ever owned. So the fidelity is not there. Anyway I just opened it on you tube with my volume at 100 percent. That was as loud as it should be at HALF volume. My CD is just not even half of that half loud. Digitally remastered = the suck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which is the best Scorps live album?, November 12, 2005
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
My brother and I have a disagreement over which Scorpions live album is better; this or Live Bites. I am partial towards this album. It perfectly captures Scorpions at the pinnacle of their success right after the release of Love at First Sting during their 84-85 world mega tour. In World Wide Live, the sound is rawer and you hear the echoes from the huge stadiums the Scorps were playing in at the time. Live Bites is a very good album in its own right, but it feels "less live" and more "perfect" than World Wide Live for me. The album is more polished and you can hear each one of the musicians perfectly. That is what my brother really likes about the album, the amazing quality and clarity of scorpions on this album which is in stark contrast to World Wide Live, where the sound was much rawer but the clarity is not there. It is just a difference in preference of styles. My brother has his own band and is really into high quality sound which is why he likes Live Bites more. Me, I'm more impressed by the feelings that huge crowds and stadiums in World Wide Live inspire; they make you feel like you are at a mega show.

The crowd is very present in all the songs on this live cd. Some people will find that very attractive while others will be put off by it. I really like hearing the crowd because you can hear the interaction between Scorpions and their fans. Hearing the people in Paris sing Holliday will totally blow you away. Its a shame they only play the acoustic intro to the song, but the French fans are amazing singing the lyrics to the song and more impressively the Ahh-ahh-aaa-hhh-ahhhh part of the song.

Most of the other songs were recorded in large venues in California. It seems like the Scorps had a blast in California because Klaus Meine even tells the fans that they love to play in California because "you people really like to party." Other great songs on the cd are Blackout (played heavy both on guitar/base and on drums), The Zoo (a Scorpions classic played with a heavy bass and beat, along with the crowd interaction), Dynamite (Klaus Meine's vibrato on some of the high notes is also quite remarkable, even better than in the album version, and you also get a pause near the end of the song with the music coming roaring back in). There are of course the really famous songs, Rock you Like a Hurricane, Still Loving You and No One Like You but the best song on the album is Make It Real. The normal album version off Animal Magnetism is a decent song, but in this version they turn it into a song that will just blow your mind away. The bass is so heavy it just makes you move to the beat of the song.

One final note, Klaus Meine speaks incredibly fast. Its actually funny because some times he says things to the crowd and I think they don't understand what he is saying because he is talking too fast (you can tell because when he speaks really fast, they tend not to cheer, most probably because he spoke way to fast for them to understand, for example at one point in Can't Live Without You he tells the crowd "did you have a good time out there... here is Can't Live Without You and I want you out there to fall in love with me alright", and when they don't seem to understand he tells them "hey do you hear what I am saying"). If you get his cd, listen to the Can't Get Enough Part II. It took me a long time to understand what he says to the crowd in San Diego (San Diego you were a fantastic audience and I really love you, have a good time, we can't get enough)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Times, August 10, 2010
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
This is the San Diego original and it rocks! "The Zoo" sounds awesome! I feel like I am back in high school. Great condition, fast shipping! I bought it for my husband for our anniversary. We both had this album when it first came out. So glad the seller kept his. Will buy from this seller again! Keep Rockin!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Heard Live, September 13, 2005
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
I have always found live recordings to be superior to the Scorpions' studio offerings. Perhaps it is because they feed off the enthusiasm of their fans and render their best performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars this album never dies!!!, June 1, 2010
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
This is probably my favorite metal album ever, studio or live. And is absolutely the best live album ive ever had of any genre of music. Ive been listening to it for 22 years, first as a tape, then as a cd. The songs are outstanding, the crowd is outstanding. the scorpions music truly comes to life outside of the studio.
im not a fan of klaus meine's accent, so thats how good these songs had to be for me to like them. when he talks to the audience, you just have to talk along with him for a laugh. "its great to be here in ca-leee-fwroaarrr-nnnnyyyyyyiiaaa!"
"you know where we are? you know what were doin here tonite? you see those microphones in the air?...you see them?" no klaus...no i dont see them....
but i digress...what an album,,,almost an hour long i think. its just the friggin best. in part because it precede's the era where they started doing lame songs that got preachy and tried to unite the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest live album of all time!!!!!, December 1, 2003
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
This album is undoubtedly (in this reviewer's opinion) the greatest live album ever compiled. It features the greatest hits performed live from the band's first 4 albums recorded under the Mercury label in the early 80s (Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, Love At First Sting).
I first heard this album in Greece back when it was released in 1985 and there were posters of the band and the World Wide Live cover art all over record stores in Athens. The Scorpions were one of the hottest bands at the time and everyone was getting their hands on this 2-disc LP set.
Whenever I hear this CD now, I think of that summer in Greece and hanging out with friends listening to the album (truly nostalgic)....
Anyways, back to the present day, the songs that sounded well live were: No One Like You, Holiday, Still Loving You, Big City Nights, and Coming Home (the monster hit "Rock You Like A Hurricane" also sounded good, but it sounded as if the song was being rushed).
If you want a great live album of 80s rock hits to listen to, this is definitely the one to get.
Enjoy!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scorpions STILL Rock!, February 20, 2007
Bam Bam (SAN ANTONIO, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
I got this at the same time I got the "TOKYO TAPES" CD and its as good as I remember it. However, I could not find the original double (vinyl) album so I could compare the songs for accuracy, but I believe they are all there! Songs like COAST TO COAST, ANOTHER PIECE OF MEAT, STILL LOVING YOU & CAN'T GET ENOUGH get me through my workouts at the gym!

I saw this tour in Austin, TX, which was my third time seeing them live and the first time I saw them as headliners. If I had to say anything negative about the album, it would be that they left out classic songs like HE'S A WOMAN, SHE'S A MAN and LOVEDRIVE, but I still got my money's worth!

Go get this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Album, April 8, 2008
Octavius (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World Wide Live (Audio CD)
Although a lot of bands are generally bad in their live recordings, Scorpions has always been a great live band. I have been to three of their concerts and they always sound pretty close to studio quality believe it or not. I haven't heard many bands that sound that good on stage except maybe for AC/DC and Judas Priest. This has all of their best stuff really because Love at First Sting was their last great album. Just great lead guitar work by Mathias Jabbs: simply one of the most underrated lead guitarists from that period. You can't go wrong with this live album by Scorpions.

World Wide Live
World Wide Live by Scorpions (Audio CD - 1997)