5.0 out of 5 stars Best Referral is READ World's Best Known Marketing Secret
Published on July 2, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars mutual referrals for fun and profit
This book is well organized and has descriptive chapter titles. However, the insights and techniques offered are fairly lightweight.

Published on January 3, 2006 by Daniel Ginensky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars mutual referrals for fun and profit, January 3, 2006
Daniel Ginensky (Bet Shemesh Israel) - See all my reviews

This book is a guide to creating a network of people in non-competing businesses who agree to refer clients to each other. I was dissapointed to find that aside from mutual back-scratching, there were zero insights on how to get people to talk about my business. Isn't that what word-of-mouth is supposed to be about?

In general, I found few surprises in the book. A lot of it struck me as "Dale Carnagie" style advice, pointing out that you should try not to sulk in the corner when at business gatherings, etc.

To end on a positive note, I wholeheartedly agree with the auther's choice of title, seeing as how the ideas in this book are well known to most adults with average social skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but needs updating on Internet networking, February 27, 2005
This review is from: The World's Best Known Marketing Secret: Building Your Business with Word-of-Mouth Marketing (Paperback)
Just finished reading this book this evening with mixed view on it. In my view, this could be a good, entry-level handbook for small business owners/professionals, such as doctors, dentists to learn to practise networking and get referrals. It offers practical, step by step how-to-dos on tranditional referral marketing.

What it misses is the power of social networking through the Net and the resulting referrals. If the authors can update the book with "Internet Networking", it will be a more useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Referral is READ World's Best Known Marketing Secret, July 2, 1999
By A Customer
There is so much useful, easily digestable material contained within this book, that only one reading is simply not enough!. I have read this book more than once and the new 2nd edition provides even more tips for growing my business. I particularly like the section on the "Top Ten Commandants of a Networking Mixer" for example, because it gives information that even a "born networker" can benefit from applying at their next networking function. For example- #3 states, "act like a host, not a guest"--so simple but profound in the ability to position yourself as a person in the know--the kind of person others want to do business with! If you are in business this book is a must have. If you know a person in business this book is the best gift you could give! After all, "givers gain" begins by giving!

5.0 out of 5 stars ..Revolutionizes and simplifies ANY marketing strategy!, July 1, 1999
The World's Best Known Marketing Secret is the best book I have found that identifies and demonstrates the "how-to's" of developing an effective referral marketing strategy. Many books that I have read on marketing "philosophize" about how marketing strategies "should" work, and then don't outline specific methods that apply to my business. This book is a step-by-step results oriented handbook that I refer to OFTEN and apply directly to my situation. The results of developing my own plan, using the strategy outlined in this book, have been phenomenal in getting me continuous referrals for my business. I highly recommend that every business owner not only read this book, but DO the exercises outlined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Networking Tool, July 2, 1999
By A Customer
This is a great book to share with anybody that wants more business and even more importantly more business by referral. It does a wonderful job of teaching us how to network with other individuals and therefore increase our business through referrals. I have learned through this book to be involved in many different networks and work them with the idea of "Givers Gain"

5.0 out of 5 stars The World's Most Effective Marketing Strategy, June 30, 1999
By A Customer
If you've got the advertising budget of a Fortune 500 company, you probably have someone else who is paid to worry about whether or not your marketing programs are effective. On the other hand, if the survival of your business depends on the success of your marketing efforts, then read this book. Dr. Misner mixes sound advice based on common-sense marketing principles with enough humor to keep you reading. I've taken lots of marketing classes and attended more marketing seminars than I can count. Yet as I market myself as a professional speaker, it is the advice and techniques in this book that I can count on to work consistantly. I purchased the first edition of this book several years ago and have referred to it frequently. At first I thought I would not get the Second Edition, but am glad I did. The Devine Guidance segments are pithy comments that really bring marketing to life. No matter what business you are in, you should read this book. If you are an entrepreneurial professional, this should make this your guiding light toward attracting new customers or clients at a profit.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book fell short of what I had expected, February 11, 2001
Rick (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This book is a good example of the value one gets from skimmimg through a book before purchasing it. Had I done that, I never would have bought this book. Having tossed away the shipping box, I'm now too lazy to try to return this book. The funny part is I read the prior reviews on this book. I can't believe we're talking about the same book.
I first learned of this book through a friend who participates in a local BNI group. Like most prudent businessowners, I already recognized the low cost and high return that referrals bring to a business. Upon hearing of this title, I thought this book would give me what I was looking for -- a plethora of proven techniques that I could apply to my business and start building my referral network. Much like Machevelli's The Prince was a useful handbook for leadership (in its day), I need a handbook for 10-15 ways I can generate more referral business. Sadly, I found the book dedicated too much of its content justifying and proving by example the importance of referrals as a key marketing strategy. I'm already sold, that's why I bought this book!
I'm not entirely disappointed. I got two ideas out of this book, and will certainly earn back my investment many times over with just one sale. My disappointment stems from the realization that what I got from this purchase fell far short from my expectation. It turned into a extremely quick read. The idea I culled from this book could have very easily been fromatted into a $2.95 self-help book found at the local Krogers grocery store, thereby affording me a little extra on the dinner table that week.
I'm still searching for a good handbook on numerous techniques for generating more referrals. There has to be one out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool for building your referral business., June 30, 1999
By A Customer
I found The World's Best Known Marketing secret to be practical as well as an easy read. This is a "must read" for the small business person or salesperson that must generate business through word of mouth. The information is clear and can easily be adapted into an individual's marketing plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for sales professionals, June 29, 1999
By A Customer
Dr. Misner does a very good job communicating the technique, philosophy and mindset of growing your business through referrals and word-of-mouth marketing. From Chambers of Commerce & community networking, to building long-lasting, trusting relationships, this book book reads like the bible of referral marketing! It is definitely a REQUIRED READING for all of our sales professionals as well as employees. By reading this book, everyone in our organization has learned the skill & mind-set for 'listening for referrals.' --HIGHLY RECOMMENDED--
Jeremy M. Allen CEO, OnSite Computer Services

5.0 out of 5 stars I implemented 3 ideas and increased my business 25%, June 29, 1999
By A Customer
Three years ago I bought the first addition of this book. I implemented 3 ideas from the first edition and increased my business by 25% as a direct result! This second edition has given me several new ideas that I'm starting to implement. I have an MBA from a great university, and I can tell you that they don't teach these powerful hands-on business development techniques in B-School.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›