Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 9, 2008
The 23 year old Philadelphian turned to music while recovering from a horrific accident and her recovery process led to a new career.
Before the accident she'd already been working part-time as a lounge pianist to help fund her studies, playing tunes by Duke Ellington or Billy Joel against a hubbub of hecklers and clinking glasses, and one of her doctors said she should try music-making as part of her recovery process.
The recordings she made in a wheelchair at her hospital bedside were eventually released in 2005 as "Some Lessons - The Bedroom Sessions".
Picked up by the same DJ who discovered Norah Jones, Melody started gaining acclaim and signed to Universal/Verve.
Well, if you liked Norah Jones and Madeleine Peyroux's beguiling mix of jazz, blues, country and folk, then check out this young singer-songwriter-guitarist, whose voice is purer than Peyroux's but just as characterful and charming.
"Worrisome Heart" will appeal to anybody fond of Norah Jones or Madeleine Peyroux, though its understated bluesiness also seems to reach further back to the heyday of vintage American songwriting.
She displays a rare knack for imbuing music that can sound false or clichéd in lesser hands with a shivery sense of intimacy, as though she sneaked up behind you to blow in your ear. She looks the part, too, smiling quizzically from behind a Veronica Lake peek-a-boo hairstyle. Add a penchant for crimson shoes and lipstick and fishnet tights, and you have the kind of dame who'd know how to keep Humphrey Bogart in his place.
It is extremely sexy and intimate - listen no further than the title track or the groovy "Goodnite'" - and on swinging numbers, such as "All I Need Is Love", it has the bounce and ebullience of a young Billie Holiday.
It's also true that tracks like "Sweet Memory" and "Goodnite" have similarities to Norah Jones' standards but unsurprisingly this survivor also has an edge.
A rising star of the modern jazz scene, this album has 10 songs which evoke nights in dark, intimate clubs before smoking was banned.
This album deserves to have the same cultish success as Peyroux's Careless Love and Jones' "Come Away With me".
It's quality stuff and ideal for turning the lights down low to and allowing you to sink into the mellow, seductive sounds of Melody.

Some Lessons -The Bedroom Sessions
Careless Love
Come Away with Me
The Reminder
review image
0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2008
All I need say about this album is, if you love a soothing, sultry voice and are looking for something a little bit different and unpredictable, this is the album for you. My two top tracks are the title track and 'Love me like a river does', which never fails to get those goosebumps going.
on June 29, 2009
First of all, what an interesting story - a girl gets hit by a car, develops a sensitivity to light and sound, and finds music therapy as a way to deal with her injuries. What she finds is a voice that sounds like she is literally singing 6" from your ear and singing directly to you. Her voice is very fresh and different from what you hear on radio. It's smoky, delicate, pitch perfect, wobbly and beautiful.

There are 5 songs on this CD that stand up to anything I've ever ever heard. They are "Gone", "Sweet Memory", "Some Lessons", "One Day" and the oh-my-gosh I can't believe how incredible this song is "Love Me Like A River Does". That song will knock you out. Period. As one reviewer put it "It's the sexy song I've ever heard" - ditto.

Buy this CD. Do not download it. You might end up tucking it under your pillow at night or spooning it.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2008
Worrisome Heart is the first full length studio CD from Melody Gardot. It is a smoky and mellow mix of jazz and folk that one should enjoy slowly as repetition leads to depth of appreciation and understanding. Melancholy runs deeply through this short collection of songs. While one might expect this from a young artist who survived being hit by a car while riding her bicycle, her torment on Worrisome Heart comes from another, but common, source. Even the song titles themselves suggest that the primary source of her pain is from love gone wrong in one way or another. Whether she pines for someone to take things slowly as in "Love Me Like A River Does" ("Baby don't rush/You're no waterfall") or the love from which she is separated on "Sweet Memories" ("Pretty soon I'll want the real thing instead/But for now I've got this sweet memory"). Gardot lyrically wears her heart(aches) on her sleeve.

Yet these don't come of as a simple collection of poor me drivel. Gardot has a vocal delivery somewhere between Diana Krall and Norah Jones, and she even mixes in scat singing on a few tracks. Her producer, Glenn Barratt, did a wonderful job of setting Worrisome Heart against a rich and varied instrumental backdrop. "Worrisome Heart" and "Love Me Like A River Does" both feature muted trumpet while the slightly upbeat "All That I Need Is Love" is set against a flowing clarinet line. Other songs such as "Gone" and " Sweet Memory" feature strings and/or guitar.

When you add it all up, you have a very musically mature sounding CD from a new artist. While you won't likely find yourself dancing to or uplifted by Worrisome Heart, it is still a very fulfilling musical experience. It is perfect for unwinding and relaxing after a stressful day. As you see the beauty that Gardot makes of her own troubles, you will find your own to be somewhat lighter as well.
on June 28, 2008
This might be one the best set of tracks I've listened to this year. The performance and production are as polished and clean as you could hope for, and the delivery so genuine and soulful you can almost smell the smoke and martinis. This makes a great gift for anyone who appreciates jazz or blues.
on November 7, 2008
I am really enjoying this new album & artist. Very mellow and smoky like Norah Jones -- but I definitely get moments of Madeleine Peyroux and the occasional Eva Cassidy, as well. (All top-notch singers in my book!) I look forward to seeing more from this artist in the future!
on November 29, 2011
Heard Melody via Pandora. Heard a couple of songs, and really enjoyed her earthy voice and soft sound. This CD does not disappoint. She is great. Reminds me of the 60's Bosa Nova sound of Astrud Gilberto. Melody has a great voice and beautiful music. I love both CDs.
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2014
If you're looking for a new late night jazz disc, look no more. With her breathy, feminine voice, Melody Gardot knocks it out of the park on this album.

All of the tracks are slow tempo save for cut 4, Sweet Memory (medium-slow)... which, in my humble opinion, is a near perfect jazz tune. When you listen to this album in its entirety, it will relax and soothe you. At the end of a stressful day, listening to this gem will definitely smooth out the wrinkles.

I discovered Ms. Gardot on YouTube when several of her cuts appeared in the tray to the right of whatever it was I was watching and listening to. I clicked on one and it was her on piano with a small jazz group of musicians in a LIVE performance. Search on YouTube for 'Melody Gardot - Your Heart Is As Black As Night' - if you like this rendition, you will LOVE this entire album.

Some of the videos I sampled on that discovery tour had what sounded like an orchestra behind her; string sections and all. With a voice as delicate as Ms. Gardot's, I'll take that intimate, small group sound every time.

In the liner notes, she mentions that the backing musicians "...all had the sensitivity and ease to come in with very little direction and nail the parts usually on the first take'. You can hear it in each song - there's a sort of controlled spontaneity there. Just beautiful to listen to... repeatedly. The way this album is crafted and performed, I doubt you could get tired of listening to it. These people are playing with a genuine sense of true feeling... and that's how the best jazz I've ever heard seems to be played.

Ms. Gardot plays guitar and piano, and she's quite a bit more than capable on both instruments. When it comes to holding up her end of the musicianship, she's at the top of her game. When she writes she seems to leave some room in between the notes - and you can feel the air come in on a soft breeze.

Sample the tracks here on Amazon and watch that video I mentioned, and I'm pretty sure you'll be putting this one in your cart.
on October 2, 2011
At first, I thought "Who is this woman?". I had to own her album! I bought it and then I thought her style was way too much like Peggy Lee for my liking. The longer I listened, the more relaxed and soothed I felt. Now her music just haunts me. The sensation is as unique as is her music. She is what legends are made of.
on October 23, 2013
This review is based on both the LP & CD versions.

My record player, the Rega Plannar 3, only plays 33-1/3 LPs. Nowhere does it state on Amazon.com that this 12 inch LP is a 45 RPM record. The LP cover also doesn't state the RPM, only the record label itself states 45 RPM. Therefore I had to open the shipping carton, then the outside wrap, & then take the LP out of the inner cover before the RPM was known. Imagine my surprise when I went to play the LP. I bought the LP from a secondary Amazon supplier. I wrote them for a RA #. I read somewhere that there were 45 RPM 12 inch LPs for sale but you would think the record companies & web sites would state the RPM. Bummer, I don't want a CD with this recording because I wanted to hear a warm & spacious tone that only a LP can give to Jazz. I really wanted to have a whole LP collection of Melody Gardot's works.

I got the CD through Amazon direct with other goods to get free freight. I started my collection of Melody Gardot with her 3rd recording "My One & Only Thrill" with her very interesting soft sexy singing voice & laid back Jazz which captured me. Melody's 2nd recording, this CD, if you count the "Bedroom Sessions" as the first, is more Blues rather than Jazz. Therefore typical to the Blues style the words have repetitive reframes which simplify the story of the song but put the force of emotion into the expression of the singing. I prefer Jazz rather than Blues because of the more open & freedom of the structure of the music. Melody does a good job show casing the Blues style with her singing & guitar work. The backup musicians are top rate. The only problem I have with this recording is that her singing sounds like Norah Jones which I don't hear in her newer recordings. The 4th recording "The Absence" moves into the Caribbean & South American Jazz scene. This CD is but a beginning to a fabulous woman that changes her style with each recording.

Some reviews in her newer recordings complain that she needs to return to the style of this CD "Worrisome Heart". I totally disagree & hope to see Melody move on with her talent.

Keep up the good work Melody.