Customer Discussions > WWE WrestleMania 24 forum

Worst WrestleMania Main Event

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2008 9:43:58 AM PDT
CE says:
What WrestleMania main event did you think was just HORRORIBLE. Here is some nominees:

Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt Slaughter WrestleMania 7 1991
Hulk Hogan vs. Sycho Sid WrestleMania 8 1992
LT vs. Bam Bam Bigelow WrestleMania 11 1995 (The worst in my opinion)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2008 7:44:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2008 11:51:13 AM PDT
The Un-Being says:
the main event tag match from the first mania wasnt any good in my opinion
nor was hogan vs andre from mania 3 i know it had that "special" feeling but the match itself was terrible..i mean i cant really complain bc they did what they could though bc andre was broken down physically and his health wasnt the best..still i didnt enjoy it
also the 4 corner match at mania 16 between Triple H vs Rock vs Show vs Foley wasnt that good in my eyes..also LT vs Bigelow from mania 11 was pure crap like you mentioned above lol.
i can watch slaughter vs hogan every once in a blue moon..in fact i saw it last night off of Hulkamania 6 compliation from colesuim video, i watched it though for the hogan vs hansen match from japan and the hogan vs savage match from paris..

sid vs hogan from mania 8 is garbage though i have to agree there

also wm9 bret vs yokozuna was horrible bc it ended up with hogan beating yoko like 3 min after he won the belt and burying both hart and zuna in the process...

also wm 10 yoko vs bret was stupid what thing memorable happen there...yoko's fat butt fell off the rope and bret pinned him, oh yippie ::rolls eyes::

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 1:39:38 AM PDT
WORST "WRESTLEMANIA" MAIN EVENTS

#3 - Sid Justice v. Hulk Hogan @ WM 8
---Warrior's return was neat, but this match sucked, and Flair/Savage was a classic!

#2 - Bam Bam Bigelow v. Lawrence Taylor @ WM 11
---It's funny for all the wrong reasons.

#1 - Undertaker v. Sycho Sid @ WM 13
---What a disgrace to my hometown of Chicago! I fast forwarded this one on my DVD and I still started to pass out!

DISHONORABLE MENTION - Yokozuna v. Hulk Hogan @ WM 9
---Love him or hate him, Bret Hart didn't deserve this screwjob!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 1:49:36 PM PDT
JG says:
In terms of match quality, it's hard to say. But in terms of what match should just not have been the WrestleMania Main Event, the obvious answer is Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigalow from WrestleMaina 11. I mean, a mid-card wrestler against a football player is not an ideal way to close out WrestleMania.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 8:01:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2008 4:35:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 5:10:14 AM PDT
Without a doubt LT Vs. the late Bam Bam Bigelow! Its worse than any other main event you could name in WM history, including the first WM!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 5:11:14 AM PDT
I agree with you on Flair/Savage R.A., that was the real main event of WM 8!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 11:59:28 AM PDT
The Un-Being says:
i dunno why everybody i kno craps on mania 8.

yeah,, hogan vs sid was horrendous

but you had two excellent matches there in
flair vs savage
piper vs bret

a decent encounter in
hbk vs santana

and an ok match in
taker vs snake

I think I'll borrow an idea from Erv in his "lost classics" and call it the "Lost Wrestlemania"...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 3:53:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2008 3:56:32 PM PDT
LOL!

Yeah, WM8 takes a beating but in truth, if you forget Hogan Vs. Sid, it actually was pretty good. Piper Vs. Bret Hart and Savage Vs. Flair were the standout matches!

Speaking of "lost classics", I tend to think of Flair Vs. Savage at WrestleMania as a lost one. Not many talk about this match as they tend to remember their matches in WCW more. That's sad because this one was a great one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 4:34:30 PM PDT
CE says:
Sadly guys, I have not seen ANY matches from WrestleMania 8. I do know one thing, that the Flair vs. Savage match SHOULD HAVE been the main event. I'm thinking about getting it and WM seven in the Silvervision Tagged Classic series. You don't know how lucky I am to own a multi region DVD player!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 12:39:43 PM PDT
Believe me, once you see the match compared to Hulk Hogan Vs. Sid, you will agree with us that Savage Vs. Flair should've been last!

Only one time that I thought that a non-title bout should've gone last and that was Hulk Hogan Vs. The Rock at WrestleMania X-8 (though you could make an arguement for Kurt Angle Vs. Shawn Michaels at WM 21).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 6:09:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2008 6:10:06 PM PDT
The Un-Being says:
between the botch interference on the part of one Papa Shango (The Godfather), and the BS DQ ending (of a Main EVENT AT WRESTLEMANIA). I'll will whole heartedly support Mr. Griffin with his statement above lmfao

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 6:56:05 PM PDT
CE says:
Yea, I have not seen ANY matches from WrestleMania eight or nine, and the only match I have seen from WrestleMania seven was Hogan vs. Slaughter. I would love to see all of Taker's matches from those three and also Savage and Flair. Anyway, back to the worst WrestleMania, it seems like we all agree that LT vs. Bam Bam Bigelow was the WORST WrestleMania main event EVER!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 8:38:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2008 11:42:22 PM PDT
The Un-Being says:
WM 9 sucks.
Consider yourself lucky that you havent had to endure that crapfest of a ppv

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 9:42:41 PM PDT
I agree with Mr. Kenyon! WM 9 is only needed if you are a complete freak! Otherwise, I'd avoid that one! WrestleMania 11 (aside from the main event) was a overall better card than 9 was! The only thing that 9 could've had over 11 was the main event but its tainted a bit because of the skit with Hulk Hogan! Ugh!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 11:57:20 PM PDT
The Un-Being says:
i got an of topic question sort of.
i know at the time there werent any triple threat matches in wwf at least but was smokey mountain wrestling and eastern championship wrestling the only feds to do it around then?
hogan screwed to japan soon after and came back in june at kotr and lost to yoko in his first offical defense since winning at mania 9 (he fought muta and i think chono in new japan), but it woulda been neat to see a triple threat between hulk, hart and yoko. also didnt hogan refuse to job to bret and the only way they got him to lose to yoko was bc vince promised him a huge storyline and big win down the road then quickly changed plans after he got the belt off the hulkster??

also now that i think of triple threat matches mania 10 woulda been good to have a 3 way too bc of the double rumble winners in luger and bret.
itd make more sense right?

but maybe if they had done that we wouldnt have owen vs bret too so its probably for the best.

wow i just totally ranted like a madman hahahahaha

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 7:08:51 AM PDT
WWF/WWE didn't have triple threat bouts at that point. You are correct in saying that ECW and maybe Smokey Mountain Wrestling were the only ones doing that at that point. Their versions were better because you had eliminations rather than first pinfall/submission.

I have heard that Hogan refused to job to Hart. Vince wanted to do a showdown between them but Hulk didn't want to job to him. What you've heard probably has some truth to it.

On that one, I can't blame Vince if that's what he did. I know all wrestlers are selfish to some degree but Hogan's one of the worst! Even HBK or HHH will job sometimes but Hogan almost never jobs!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 1:27:44 PM PDT
CE says:
That was VERY unpro of Hogan. Hogan SHOULD'VE seen the money in that feud with Vret. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 2:50:43 PM PDT
The Un-Being says:
hell he was known to pull crap like that you kno Curt Henng wsas suppose to win the 90 rumble from what i heard and hogan who was the champ suggest he win it instead. Wtf did he have to gain from a rumble win. hennig was asnm up and comer in the wwf at the time. he woulda benefitted more than hogan.
btw this was before the rumble winner recieved a title shot at mania.

also he did some garbage power playing in wcw at starrcade 97 and changed the finish between the match with sting. making the whole money match pointless.

hes a great no doubt but a very selfish one at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 2:56:38 PM PDT
CE says:
The ending of Starrcade (like WrestleMania 8), was messed up. As we all know, the ref DID NOT count fast like he was suppose to (thus started the downfall of WCW.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 5:23:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2008 5:30:53 PM PDT
Matthew, I've never heard that but if you think about it, it would've made more sense for Curt or someone else to win than Hogan! Hulk was the champ at that point and really didn't need the rub for his matchup with The Ultimate Warrior at WM 6. His face-off with him would've been enough.

I've never heard that on Starrcade '97 either BUT if he did, then he pretty much put WCW on life support! WCW, like them or not, were on top at that point and WWF/WWE was reeling from the "Montreal Screwjob" incident with Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. This could've put the nail in the coffin on WWE but instead, Hogan inadvertantly saved WWE with his botched match with Sting!

I remember watching Bret Hart's WWE release and I think the late Chris Benoit said it best. To paraphrase, he said that they had Bret but once they got him, they didn't know what to do with him! Likewise, they didn't know what to do with this big main event they had in their laps! Vince also commented on that same release that if he were they, he would've rode Bret's arrival to the hilt!

And Chris, I also agree with you that Hogan was terribly short sighted on Bret. While Bret would never be the mainstream star Hogan was or Austin or The Rock, tremendous money could've been made with Hogan Vs. Bret and the die-hard wrestling crowd would've ate it up!

Hogan is a legend without a doubt but if there is any taint to his legacy, its his own selfishness.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 5:33:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2008 2:05:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 11:46:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2008 12:23:20 AM PDT
buck naked says:
-hulk hogan vs sgt slaughter
-hulk hogan vs sid justice
-hulk hogan vs yokozuna(i hate hulk hogan)
l-awrence taylor vs bam bam bigelow(poor bb)
-undertaker vs sid(takers worst match ever, but it'd take jc coming down personally to earth to carry sid to a good match so i don't blame taker, although shawn michaels somehow pulled off that one good if not great match with him at survivor series 96 i believe.) i guess everyone has at least one good match.
-the wrestlemania 2000 4 corner match

so out of 24 wrestlemanias there have been 6 crappy main events so that's not too bad plus all the bad one are pretty old and involve s%@t workers like hogan and sid seperate or together. other than those the main events at wrestlemainia are usually pretty strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2008 12:19:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2008 12:24:16 AM PDT
buck naked says:
i don't know ervin about that wm 21 main event. for one of the few times since wcw and ecw fell they had built the triple h/batista match perfectly over a four month period so it going on last was the right call. it's rare that they build a match like that so well these days. but michaels/angle could of been the co main event as the cena/jbl match sucked terribly bad(a missed clothesline and a glorified firemans carry wins you the heavyweight title, give me a break).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 8:27:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2008 8:29:08 AM PDT
That's why I said Michaels/Angle could've made a case. But I do agree with you that it was much better than Cena/JBL! It sucked terrible! Their "I Quit" match a month later was waaaaay better and that's the match they should've had at WM21!

I liked your comment about Sid! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! At least Sid doesn't suck as bad as The Great Khali! I mean, Sid's stuff (while not very talented) at least looked like it would hurt! Khali's moves barely look like they would hurt a child!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  WWE WrestleMania 24 forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
WWE WrestleMania 24
WWE WrestleMania 24 by John Cena (DVD - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (71)