4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect it to taste like meat
Published on August 27, 2007 by Diane O

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in stir-fry
These are seitan-ish strips of un-Pollanesque wheat gluten. I found them to be decent when chopped and stir fried into mixed vegetables, and you could reduce the broth to gravy.
Published on September 3, 2008 by djanes1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect it to taste like meat, August 27, 2007
This review is from: Worthington Vegetable Steaks, Low Fat, 20-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
I had not had these in years, until I ordered a case. I dip then in flour and pan fry in oil. Just like I remembered. I really enjoy them. It may be a bit of an acquired taste. You can not expect them to taste anything like steak, or you will be sorely disappointed. I am so glad Amazon is carrying these items. You can't beat the price, and the free shipping is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good prepared properly, August 1, 2007
These are wheat gluten steaks, pretty good with onions and gravy, or great sliced into strips and used in stir-fry.

4.0 out of 5 stars have to cook properly, December 21, 2006
T. Freeman (quakertown, pa) - See all my reviews
I like the texture of these. They are better when cooked stove-top with some seasoning (it is soy afterall) than tossed into a microwave but in a pinch, I do that also. These are a great source of protein for strict vegetarians and those who want to eat more healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, July 1, 2010
My meat eating friends love the Veg. Steaks. I fry them; coat them with bbq sauce then broil them until they reach a crisp! They are great hot out of the oven or cold the next day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for gyros and stews, January 16, 2009
I do have to agree that the texture of these "steaks" is somewhat rubbery, and that's why I gave them 4 stars instead of 5. But that firmness is what makes them so wonderful for vegetarian Greek gyros. I slice the steaks thin, marinate them overnight, briefly warm them in a frying pan, and serve them in a pita with hommus and tzatziki sauce. (I make everything vegan, including the tzatziki sauce.) The "steaks" hold up wonderfully, and come as close to Greek gyros as I have ever had. I also use them a lot in stews, where I find that slow cooking softens the "steaks" considerably. As are all the other Worthington and Loma Linda products, the steaks are versatile and can be used in many dishes. UPDATE: 11/08/10. I am wondering why the price on these and all Worthington/Loma Linda products has increased greatly. Anyone have a clue?

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, November 18, 2008
Amy Liz (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I first tried these years ago as a meat-eater new to (and skeptical of) meat substitutes. I loved them! Actually, my exact words were, "These are quite palatable." My mother-in-law dredges them in torula and brewers yeast and fries them with diced red onion and they're just about my favorite food!

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I stole these!, August 28, 2008
What could be better than someone dropping off your groceries? Dropping off months of them at a great price!

I was able to order the case, delivered at my door in days, for a better price than if I had driven to my local store with a coupon. Of course, Worthington products are a staple in my home. I am a vegetarian so I am always looking for ways to add protien to my diet and these steaks are a quick, easy, and very tasty choice.

The steaks are a gluten based protien that can be cooked or grilled whole or sliced and diced. They work well with gravies and will hold other flavors like soy sauce or spices. The best way to describe them is like a very firm dumpling that has been cooked in flavorful broth. They are very verstaile and my non-vegetarian family and friends like them

I was able to purchase this case for less than half of what my local stores sell them for AND it was delivered! All I needed was someone to cook it up for us!

Makes me hungry just thinking about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Meat Substitute, July 26, 2011
My husband is Vegetarian, he loves these Vegetable Steaks. They cook up great whether we put them on the grill, in the microwave, oven or on the stove. He loves them best in BBQ Sauce on the grill.

Worth buying.. just wish they were more readily available in stores still.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 6, 2009
I started using this product as a minor and it will stay in my life as long as they continue to make it. Even my children like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthington Vegetable Steaks, September 24, 2008
I had something like this many years ago and then couldn't find them. They are fabulous if rolled in flour, fried in oil, and seasoned with a little steak seasoning. They are also fabulous used as swiss steak (cook with onions, red and green bell peppers and canned tomatoes).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›