Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2007 11:53:11 AM PDT
Charlie says:
As a girl of 14, would I like this series? Me and my twin brother are contemplating buying the box set, as everybody speaks so highly of it, but would we like it? We are very much into programmes like '24', 'LOST', 'HEROES' and 'Alias', so would we like this?

Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2007 3:54:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2007 3:37:57 PM PDT
If all you enjoy watching is action series as you describe above, I would say no. But if you want an inside look at how the federal government should be run (and seldom is these days), then my answer is yes. Also (and I expect to get wrapped in the mouth for this, so if it happens I will edit out this last comment), if when you turn 18, you are seriously thinking of registering with the Democratic Party, then my answer is a "WHOLEHEARTED YES".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 7:08:30 PM PDT
Will Gardner says:
I personally think it is one of the best shows ever made.

My advice to you would be to first try and rent the 1st season or at least the first few DVDs of Season 1 from Blockbuster/Netflix if you have a subscription to their online stuff. If you enjoy those then by all means get the box set!

If you have a lot of schoolwork to do though, MAYBE you should wait until winter break or next summer maybe because once I bought this during the last winter break, my entire family and I watched it almost non-stop for 3-4 months every night because we were so addicted to it. But since you subscribe to so many other tv shows maybe you don't *shrug*.

If you do get into it, just be thankful you didn't have to watch it on a week-by-week basis because there are SO many cliffhangers that I don't know what I would've done waiting for it.

it isn't liberal, it's the way things should be ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 7:06:11 PM PST
Carl Vagg says:
second time attempt at response - attempts to describe, this
milestone in movie/tv history just cant do it justice..

but, my daughters like it.. while episodes include dramatic excitement, no two are the same.. the only thing wrong with the series is that it ended !

if you havnt seen any episodes yet, lucky you !
you and your twin brother have it all to come . .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007 8:24:06 PM PST
I am not a big fan of politics but I really enjoyed this show for the humor and characters. I would compare it more to Gilmore Girls in pacing, with its rapid fire dialogue. I began watching this series when I was in high school at about 16. The only show of those that I am fan of is Lost, just haven't gotten a chance to watch the other but I am told they are great but they do seem a little action heavy like Eric mentioned. I see you posted this a while ago, so I assume you might have come to a decision by now. What was your decision and did you like or dislike the show? If I were you I would check out the show Arrested Development, which I consider along with the West Wing as one of the best shows ever created.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 12:15:47 AM PST
Dreggor Gade says:
I didn't think I would like it. I loved the first season. I'm asking for the box set for Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 8:50:58 AM PST
Based on your spelling of 'programmes', are you in the UK? You may have to be careful that you get DVDs you can play on your equipment

as for the show itself, you may or may not like it now, but it is a great series...I definitely agree w/the suggestion to get the first season and then decide if you want to take the plunge for the complete series

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2008 12:35:41 PM PDT
I got this box set for Christmas a few years ago, and nobody saw me for three weeks. Once you start, you can't stop. On the other hand, I was probably 17 when I first got hooked... at 14, and in the UK, you and/or your brother might be a little confused by the references to the political and governmental structure of the United States. In relation to the other programs you mentioned, I can say this: My girlfriend and I were hooked on '24' a few months ago. I was renting it from Blockbuster Online. Unfortunately, we came to the end of a disc, and one of the ever-present cliffhangers, and I didn't have another one handy... but no way could we just go to sleep. I suggested we watch a few episodes of the West Wing to get our fix of Serial Drama. Seven Seasons later, we still haven't finished that season of 24... if TV were dinner, it would be like going back to the salad after you've had a steak and finished it off with creme brulee (By my tastes). there are times in all of the shows you mentioned where you might groan at the wooden dialogue or the heavily-contrived plots, but I can promise that will never happen with the West Wing. The worst episode of this show (which I could not name) is better than the best episode of any other drama I have ever seen on network television. And that's all I have to say about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 8:07:38 PM PDT
I'm not wrapping you in the mouth for your comment, however, I would like to point out that I am a hardcore paleoconservative and I enjoyed the show. My favorite character, Toby, is the most politically different from me, too. So I think that if you're a conservative, you'll hate the politics, but still love the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2008 2:37:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2008 3:03:56 AM PST
'notreal says:
Eric Pregosin,
S. Vickery is from the U.K. so there's no chance they will join the Democratic Party. I saw one episode years ago and based on one episode and a sale I bought this series. Plus my sister likes this show.
Most times I check the profiles...that pop up in the people that post things. People can post from any where, Eric.
'notreal

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 4:49:49 PM PST
True my friend they can. At the time (a year ago) she posted though, I did not know she was not American. However, that comment was just meant as an after thought

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 4:13:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2008 3:40:14 AM PST
'notreal says:
Eric,
So far I like the show I guess like all good things it takes time for it to get used to the characters and their motivations.
'notreal

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 7:20:26 PM PST
Jay Ambler says:
Seamus-

May I ask what is "paleoconservative"? I have never heard of this label before. But I do know that the word "conservative" is an adjective and not a noun. Incorrect usage of words like that sometimes mak judgement calls for others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 7:46:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 5:20:15 PM PST
To my distinguished friend from overseas, it is indeed a great series. Take your time with the characters, you will be singing all their praises by "Tomorrow" (meaning the series finale, not the day after today, amigo) ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 10:44:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 10:44:44 PM PST
'notreal says:
Thanks, I still have a hard time with dramatic series in which I can barely identify or root for my favorite characters...I'm sure, eventually I'll finish watching it.
By the way I kind of liked O.C., it was pretty good.
I saw half the first season of 'West Wing'...and still I don't have a favorite character...I usually find one by the third episode or so...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 7:29:24 PM PST
It's hard to have 1 fave character on West Wing. So many of them are worthwhile. Now if you ask me, who I would wanna date, I would say Janelle Maloney (Donna) with Marlee Matlin (Joey Lucas) second choice
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The West Wing: The Complete Series Collection
The West Wing: The Complete Series Collection by Martin Sheen (DVD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (808)