Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Smile Sessions [2 LP] forum

Would the SMiLE LP have been a double album in '67?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 3:31:31 PM PDT
For a while, I had the vinyl version of Brian Wilson's 2004 Smile, and I see here the vinyl version in the upcoming box set is also a double. Would this have been a 2-record set* in 1967?

(*Old phrase for "double album/box set" for those under the age of 30).

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 1:57:41 AM PDT
A. Rocheleau says:
When it was originally promoted by Capitol, I believe it was to be all on a single disc.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 9:29:47 AM PDT
You have to remember that there was a lot of material from the original "SMiLE" sessions that didn't have lyrics, vocals or both. "Do You Like Worms (Plymouth Rock Roll Over) did not have the vocal line "Waving From The Ocean Liner" till Brian Wilson remembered it and added it to the 2004 version. Also The muical bridge to "Surf's Up" was only a snippet of a piano motif. It was used for the 2004 vresion.
After "Mrs. O'Learly's Cow" there is the vocal line "IS it hot as hell in here, or is it me?" That was new lyrics by Van Dyke Parks to bridge into "Blue Hawaii".
The album was always intended as a single album by Capitol and Brian Wilson.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 7:49:10 AM PDT
Spikor says:
SMiLE probaly would have been the standard american lp length of 11-12 tunes, 6 per side. most likely 1/3 of what is considered the smile tracklisting today probably wouldnt have been on a 1967 lp of it.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 5:20:40 AM PDT
Wes Newman says:
This may sound crazy to some but I was listening to the 2011 release of "Smile", and concluded, if you wanted to fit it all on one record which lasts, roughly 45 minutes, I would cut, "Surf's Up", and put in "You're Welcome" as the opener or closer of side two maybe? Because, imo "Surf's Up", while not a bad song, could have been used as like the B-side to "Heroes and Villains" single, and THEN put "You're Welcome" like at the beginning of side two because it is kind of a an opener and a closer, "You're welcome to come", like join us in the rest of this journey. I don't know. I think Brian Wilson really liked "Surf's Up" and didn't want to cut it, but sometimes you just have to edit. And also I think "Surf's Up" is somewhat out of place with the rest of the album, and that he made the point, "Child is father of the man", by the end of the song, "Child is the Father of The Man". And "Surf's Up" kind of ruins the flow of the album imo. Of course with modern technology, I can just, re-sequence the songs, and take out "Surf's Up" and listen to it that way. It makes me wonder if this is what Brian Wilson ran into, when he made this album. How to make all the puzzle pieces fit in roughly 45 min? If you make it an extended lp, you lose sound quality, but if you put it at 45 min., you have to cut one of the tracks. But as the Beach Boys later album put it, hindsight is "20/20".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Smile Sessions [2 LP]
The Smile Sessions [2 LP] by The Beach Boys (Vinyl - 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars (278)