Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Would you use this in a high school class? Or, if you are a high school student, would you like to see it as part of your English curriculum?
asked by Amazon Customer on January 16, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
I taught this book in my (all girls) high school Contemporary Authors class a few years ago (11-12) and will be teaching it again beginning next week. One of the most surprising and unexpected results of the novel for me was the number of fathers who thanked me for giving them the opportunity to talk to their own daughters about their Vietnam experiences. In large part the girls appreciated reading the novel, but a few were "grossed out" by the graphic depictions of war.
V. M. Sawicki answered on April 11, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
odessa answered on November 21, 2009

A
APJP answered on November 15, 2010

A
In my 11th grade AP Literature class we read "Ambush," an excerpt from this book. The excerpt was a part of our new literature books, it even came with a video interview with Tim O'Brien. Just reading "Ambush" alone as a kind of short story made me want to continue reading more of O'Brien's work.
X. Hail answered on April 9, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Matthew Spindler answered on January 25, 2006
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My daughter's boyfriend recommended this as the best book he'd ever read. It was assigned as part of his junior year accelerated english class. I was a high school student myself during the late 60's - early 70's and many of the boys I knew came home greatly changed. I don't think I ever really understood until now.
Virginia A. Olson answered on April 30, 2007

A
The Things They Carried is an excellent book for H.S. English curriculum. It is a great literary example that has potential for discussion on many levels. I like the fact that the author seems to have no agenda either political or moral and presents a look at the soldiers experience with emotional impact.
Earthling answered on September 9, 2007

A
My son read Frank Nappi's ECHOES FROM THE INFANTRY as a companion piece to O'Brien's book and, as much as he loved The Things They Carried, he, and many of his friends, flipped over Echoes. It works real well with high school students!
Jerry Matheson answered on June 4, 2006
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The wild guesser answered on December 10, 2009

A
In my opinion, the best book for a factual, documented, but highly readable account of the war is An American Amnesia by Bruce Herschensohn. The author writes from personal experience in Southeast Asia, as well as in the United States Information Agency and in the White House and is in the Department of Public Policy at Pepperdine University, previously a fellow at Harvard--just saying that he has really great credentials. It is a reasonable size for students doing reports.
Amazon Customer answered on February 12, 2013
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product