Customer Discussions > Colonel Roosevelt forum

Wow, 18.90 for the Kindle Edition!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2010 10:18:13 AM PDT
LHO says:
Why would anyone buy it at the price- and why would the publisher price it as such?

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 1:20:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2010 1:45:08 PM PDT
David Bland says:
I have it pre-ordered. I've been waiting for this book for years and don't want to lug around the hardcovr copy (I commute to work via bus & subway and have to carry it around). I do wish the kindle ediition was less, though. This is a special book for those of us who've folllowed the prev 2 volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 8:00:28 PM PDT
Why would anyone buy it at this price? Because the buyer likes their books to be on the kindle (and all the benefits that entails).

In this case, the publisher isn't pricing it, Amazon is.

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 1:43:34 PM PDT
$19 and no Text to Speech. This is just greed at all levels. I would love to add this book to my reading list right away, but at this price, I will stick it at the end and wait until it comes down and TTS is enabled. Its unfortunate, because I have loved the 1st two books.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 7:42:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2010 7:43:54 PM PST
Kevin Howard says:
you do realize that that is half off of the hard back price right? You do realize that if you go to your local book store you will be paying full price + tax. So in all if you want it right away, it is a really good deal.

Not every new book is going to go on the kindle for $9.99. Yes Amazon is probably being greedy, but you are still getting a deal. If you buy it off amazon, you have to pay tax + shipping and handling. While on the kindle you can get it for at least half off and within a few miniutes it takes to download.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 6:33:15 AM PST
LHO says:
Actually, I think this is publisher setting the price- the agency model I think it is called? And if it is half off, that's fine.

The thing is- as someone who worked in the book business for 7 years: most retail bookstores get anywhere from a 40-45% markup, depending on how much they buy(smaller stores buy less, so there discount is only say 30%, which is why they can't compete with the big chains). So,even taking 40% off the price of a book, the publisher is still making money. Subtract the cost of production, shipping, etc... that you lose for an ebook and I say the Publisher is just being greedy.;

At this point, they are throwing prices up to see what people will go for.

It's the same thing that happened when early Music CD's came out. They were priced high- and despite becoming cheaper and cheaper to produce, they never lowered the price- so what did people do? Download illegally, borrow, record, etc...

I think Publishers could, if they handled this ebook thing right, open up lots of new markets for themselves. Digitize backlist titlesand books out of print... would I buy the entire run of my favorite authors digitally, if the price was reasonable, even though I have the hardbacks? you bet!

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 1:11:46 PM PST
Gregr209 says:
Ouch! What is with all the history e-books being so overpriced. So this is another history book I am going to pass on until the price comes down. Arghhhhh.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 1:30:38 PM PST
As soon as I found out about this book I immediately (I enjoyed Theodore Rex) I looked it up on Amazon. The Kindle price is atrocious! Thanks, Random House... I think I'll pass for now.

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 8:14:55 PM PST
Peter Craine says:
The Kindle price has dropped to $9.99, as expected. Pre-order prices are often higher. You pay a premium if you just can't wait.

This price, by the way, is set by Amazon. Random House is not part of the Agency deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 9:54:33 AM PST
David Bland says:
Wow! That really does annoy me, I must say

I guess I won't be purchasing brand new books.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:01:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2011 9:56:44 AM PDT
Kokopelli says:
Re who sets the price

There are several conflicting opinions on this thread about who set the Kindle price on this book. It has always been my understanding that the publisher sets the Kindle price. Is this a new direction, i.e., Amazon setting Kindle prices, or is someone mistaken? I would be very interested to know the truth. Does anyone know FOR SURE who set this price?

5-20-11: On the product page, Amazon states that the price was set by the publisher.

Posted on May 20, 2011 9:28:55 AM PDT
SoCal says:
Price is now $17.99

I will wait.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Colonel Roosevelt forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2010
Latest post:  May 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Colonel Roosevelt
Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris (Audio CD - November 23, 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (191)