Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

on July 25, 2011
I was surprised by how quickly and easily I became wrapped up in this book. It was unusual, at least for me, to be so instantly attached to a character in a fantasy piece; the author is fantastic at creating relatable and complex characters. This book alternates between the point of view of multiple characters (a Prince, a King, a Shepherdess to name a few), giving the reader a new perspective on overlapping events and lets the reader in on schemes developing throughout the novel.

I really don't have any criticism for this book. It was very clearly written; I'm not sure I've ever read a more clearly written fantasy piece. The plot line was intricate and the author set a nice pace for revealing the secrets/history of the characters.

The ending suits the book well and ties together the alternating points of view in a satisfying way. The last few chapters reveal several key character facts, much in the same vein of The Winter's Tale (from which the author drew inspiration).

This novel has adultery, murder, spoiled Princes, insane Kings, mad sorcerers and devious plots to keep you guessing. It was ultimately 5 stars out of 5 for me.

Review by: Erica of Sift Book Reviews
Sift Book Reviews received a free copy for review from the author. This has, in no way, affected the reviewer's opinion.
on July 19, 2011
One of the pitfalls of being a reviewer is the annoying little critic's voice that lurks in my head while I read. The voice tends to comment on everything in the book, both good and bad, and distracts me from the story. But this is also how I know when I like a book: the little voice goes silent. When reading Brondt Kamffer's book, The Wrath of Kings and Princes, that annoying voice fell silent most of the time. Unfortunately, it reappeared at the end of the story.

The Wrath of Kings and Princes tells the story of Childe Cern, a rebellious young man who doesn't want to grow up to be a king like his father. In fact, he doesn't want to grow up at all. But when he reunites with a long-lost childhood friend and falls in love with a mysterious woman from the country, Cern discovers that he not only can follow his father's path, but that he must.

This is a complex book, full of multiple story lines and flashbacks. But Kamffer handles the different threads with such ease that the reader is never lost. The complexity also makes the book very entertaining. Unlike some fantasies which move slowly, Kamffer's book is never dull. The author is an excellent story teller, and his characters are multi-faceted and interesting. The romance is also wonderful. It's sweet without being syrupy, and adds a nice sparkle to the rest of the book.

One of the best traits of this novel is the tension at the end. The buildup is wonderful, and by the last forty pages, the book becomes nearly impossible to put down. But, unfortunately, that's where the trouble sets in.

(Warning: possible spoilers)

Generally in a novel, the climatic scene comes at a time in which the hero or heroine face an impossible challenge, and in order to resolve the tension in the book, the hero must conquer whatever problems he faces. It is here that the reader learns what the hero is really made of.

While Kamffer does an outstanding job of creating tension, the resolution is very disappointing. Neither the hero nor the heroine ever take control of the situation. Instead, the main characters fall to the ground and let fate take over. There is, quite literally, a deux ex machina. When the final, dramatic scenes plays out, the reader is left scratching her head and wondering what happened.

Kamffer is a gifted writer with an ability to create a complex novel that captures the reader's imagination. Unfortunately, this ability was marred by a very weak ending that ultimately spoiled the narrative.
on February 25, 2012
I picked up "The Wrath of Kings and Princes" because, like a lot of books a get for my kindle, it was free. Most of the free books I get are less than stellar (with some big exceptions), so I didn't have very high expectations of this book. I expected it to be decent, but nothing amazing. I was in for a big surprise.

Almost as soon as I cracked this book open (figuratively, of course), I was drawn in to this beautifully crafted world and began to relate to the cast of characters quickly. I don't want to go into detail and spoil the plot for you, but I'll just say that it is a fabulously well thought out and enticing story.

The world the writer has created here is among the most interesting I've encountered. The politics, religious feuds, and characters were all very believable and together, helped me fall in love with this fantastic book.

I'm a reader that is usually hard to please. That being said, this is one of the best books I have ever read. I only regret that I read the second book in the series first, but I plan on reading the entire series later on. Highly recommended.
on May 16, 2011
Just as the first novel tells the story of murder and deceit, the second tells of romance and revenge. This book has something for everyone. I was drawn into the forbidden love growing between Marra and Cern, but if romance is not your thing, the hunger for revenge that plagues Agger produces many a gory scene that would make even the least squeamish squirm. The story was exciting from start to finish; I couldn't put it down.
on December 12, 2012
I love dragon fiction and well-written fantasy - this book is above average and was written at a pace that kept me reading longer than intended. No so great a work of art that I purchased further novels, but good quality and entertaining writing.
on November 27, 2013
I really liked the characters as they were presented. Down to earth, young and fascinating each in there own way. Will continue to read this author and enjoy his evolvement.
on November 9, 2014