Wreck-It Ralph - Nintendo Wii
Platform: Nintendo WiiChange
Price:$18.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 6, 2012
I thought that a movie based on a fake video game based on real video games was a great idea, and that turned out to live up to all its potential. I thought that a video game based on a movie based on a fake video game based on real video games had real potential; this game lived up to none of it.

I was going to offer a well thought-out review for this game, but this review is only going to reciprocate how much effort was put into developing this game.

The game starts with Wreck-It Ralph narrating the game - the voice actor isn't even John C. Reilly. This is the first disappointment of the game, and the disappointments never stop from there. Before actually getting into gameplay, the opening scene completely blows the end of the "Wreck It Ralph" movie's storyline, so if you haven't seen the movie yet, beware of a spoiler before playing this game.

After they spoil a 2-hour movie in 45 seconds, you finally get into the gameplay. The gameplay is awful: the difficulty is never raised, there's only 12 levels in the game (each level takes about 5 minutes to complete), and 4 bosses (each of which take about 2 minutes to beat). The gameplay is extremely repetitive and completely lacks novelty. The graphics are cheap - not "NES cheap," which would actually be kind of retro - but cheap like "I paid $5 for this game" cheap. Except, the thing is, I didn't pay $5 for this game. I paid $40. The iOS "Wreck-It Ralph" counterpart is a better game than this, and that only costs 99 cents.

Despite being able to play as Fix-It Felix and Wreck-It Ralph throughout the game, it's only a 1-player game. The movie featured first-person shooting, arcade-style play, and racing. This game offers none of that. Instead, you just go around punching cy-bugs until you find the exit for the level. Along the way, you try and gather Hero's medals - which do absolutely nothing for you. They don't even keep track of how many you've collected.

I sat down to play this game because I had a couple hours to kill, and figured I'd try and put a dent into beating the game. Instead of putting a dent into the game, I completely beat the game and "unlocked" all the secrets in well-under 2 hours. That's right, the movie itself takes longer to watch than it does to beat its video game counterpart.

I can't believe I spent $40 on this game. If you're thinking about buying this game, instead use your $40 to buy 4 tickets to see "Wreck It Ralph." It's a quality movie, but its video game is anything but. I'm disappointed in everyone that was involved in this game. They should be ashamed of themselves. And as disappointed as I was initially in John C. Reilly for passing on doing the voice acting for this game, now I understand why.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2012
Firstly, Wreck It Ralph is a great movie with some great games featured in it - this game however is not. It vaguely follows the plot of the movie but AFTER the end of the movie. I don't think the beginning of the game would spoil the movie for you, but if you played this game first BEFORE seeing the movie, you might not even bother to watch the movie because this game is awful. It's nothing like the movie, it's so basic it's ridiculous. It's not even retro as in Dig Dug, Pac Man, Digger Dan etc from the 80's - THEY were great games, this is not even particularly playable and it certainly isn't any fun. My 5 year old was bored in about 15 minutes which almost never happens except with a bad game (or in the case of Mario Party 9, they changed the format from single player to all playing in the same vehicle, which ruined that game).

If you still want to get this game after the low stars it received in all of the reviews so far, then rent it from a Redbox etc, you won't be wasting $40. This is a $10 game at best. It will probably be a Black Friday special - but don't get it unless it is super cheap, your kids won't thank you at all.
on November 4, 2012
The storyline of the video game is that Fix It Felix and Wreck It Ralph have been hired as exterminators to get rid of the Cy-Bugs in the worlds of Wreck It Ralph, Hero's Duty, and Sugar Rush - AFTER the end of the movie. The game play is like any 2-D platform game (Super Mario Brothers, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.) where the character moves from left to right and destroys boxes and collects golden hammers. We were expecting the games from the movie like the first person shooter in Hero's Duty or the go cart game in Sugar Rush. Instead, those locations are only used as the backdrop to the platform game. As a one player game you must switch between the characters of Felix or Ralph to move through levels.

As a platform game alone, I like it. Its not one of those games that makes it impossible to advance to the next level unless you have perfect hand-eye coordination. Its easy enough to be fun but not so easy that it's boring.

But I must say that it is extremely disappointing that the games shown in the movie were not even attempted in the movie version of the game. In fact, you can go to the movie website and play limited versions of 3 of the popular games shown in the movie. If you are looking for the movie games, save your money and go to the Disney website. If you like platform games, it's cute and not too bad.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wreck-It Ralph has to be one of the most beloved Disney films of recent times. It's a movie that's directed straight to people that have grown up in the 1980s (although it appealed to kids as well), and seen how the arcade game industry has changed overtime. The movie was full of laughs and references, but featured a really deep and thrilling tale of a video game bad guy who wants to get a new name for himself. So what does this game based off the movie based off of games have to offer? Absolutely none of what I just described.

The game is supposed to take place straight after the movie's plot, but it IS possible to avoid spoiling the movie, right? Unfortunately, Activision refused to try. Within the first seconds after starting a new game, the ending of the movie is instantly spoiled. But since I'm so nice, I won't spoil it for this review. However, I will have to mention that the Cybugs, one of the few conflicts in the movie, is THE WHOLE CONFLICT here in this game for some reason. I don't want to think of Wreck-It Ralph as a series about hideous bugs. I want to think of the series as a love letter to gamers!

Anyway, that was all presented in this cute little CGI-animated intro which has mistakes such as a lack of textures in one scene and Felix having miscolored hair. Activision sure rushed THIS out the door. BUT GUESS WHAT? Wait til you see what the actual game looks like!

Oh GOD did things go downhill! The graphics look like they were created for the Sega 32x. They are downright awful, and the music totally accompanies them by playing a short loop of a song that would only sound nice the first few times. And now for what we've been waiting for: The gameplay mechanics.

Let's just say this is one of the most uninspired platformers I've played yet. Throughout, I am treated with really generic levels that only make the already not-so-great gameplay just plain boring and repetitive. Nothing in any of these levels truly stand out (Other than that one and only Super Mario Bros reference in the "Hero's Duty" world). The combat in the game is clumsy. It feels very tedious when it takes some time for Ralph to throw a punch or Felix to wield his hammer (Which, by the way, somehow kills enemies instead of fixing them). By the way, you know how I mentioned that the Cybugs are the main conflict in this game? Well, they are the ONLY ENEMIES IN THIS GAME, so there's no enemy variety, really.

Not to mention, even with the clumsy combat, the game is beyond easy as a whole. During my first run through the game, not once did I get a Game Over, but rather did I get over 13 lives. The bosses didn't help the difficulty. They were incredibly easy as well.

To think this goes for as long as...an hour and a half?
Yup. This is one of those games with a pretty short length. However, after what you've been through after playing this monstrosity, beating the game in such a short time is rewarding enough.

If you want to see a video game do Wreck-It Ralph justice, play the game that's available on iOS devices for THE PRICE OF A COKE CAN. It's $39/29 less, but 100 times more fun.
on November 8, 2012
It took us forever to track down a copy of this game for the Wii... And once we finally had the game it was such a let down, totally dull and boring. The game doesnt even keep my 5 and 6 yr olds attention. It will sit on the shelf not played, not due to difficulty but due to repetitivness and dullness.
on December 10, 2012
For the few minutes that my son played he had to jump around through a maze of platforms and kill bugs. My son didn't make it past 15 minutes of game-play and the majority of that time he was just figuring out the object of the game, how to kill a bug and jump around. Once that was figured out he maybe played it for 10 minutes tops...and he wanted me to buy this game. Thank goodness we didn't!!! It would have been a TOTAL LETDOWN for the money! The movie is great and fun, but do yourself a favor and rent it from your local Redbox before you buy it. It will be well worth the $2.00 to not make a much more expensive mistake! If you still sort of like it, I would be willing to bet that this one will come down in price rather quickly, so wait it out! For a comparison, we even enjoy slower paced games sometimes like DeBlob and this game was no where near as captivating. Buy Donkey Kong if you like to jump around and squash things, it's a much better game! You won't be disappointed in that one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Is it possible to give negative stars??? I'm sure that some people want to after actually paying money for this game. Fortunately, I rented mine at Redbox and I'm still mad that I spent $2.

The game is super boring. An adult would never be able to tolerate it and a child would quickly become bored with it. My 5 year old has been playing for about 15 minutes now and I think he's waiting for the exciting part. I won't break it to him just yet that this is all he's gonna get.

I realize that this is a throw-back 80s style game but seriously??? The quality and graphics are horrific and perhaps intentionally!!! It predates the quality of the original Nintendo (that is as far back as I know). There are also times in the game where when you die the screen just blacks out for about 20 seconds. I thought that my Wii rebooted...and then it came back.

I loved loved loved the movie and it is sooo unfortunate that this game is such a flop.

Best advice.....Rent it and see for yourself!
on November 22, 2012
This is a horrible video game. Disney seriously needs to pull this off the shelves. There are supposedly three games, but really they're all the same stupid game with different backgrounds. And that one, really dumb game has absolutely NOTHING to do with the movie. To be honest, this waste of $30.00 will make me seriously hesitant to bug any Activision games in the future. It is impossible to imagine what they were thinking. With the three great, and original games in the movie, they had the chance to produce a fantastic game here. Instead, it really feels like some sort of prank, or that Activision is saying "we couldn't care less what our customers want or expect." It is truly mind-boggling. DO NOT BUY this unless you have too much money and need to get rid of some or you're a business school professor and want a great example of totally brainless corporate decision making.
on October 13, 2013
I bought this for my son's 5th birthday. I have neither the time nor the desire to teach him how to play video games. I need him to be able to figure it out. He couldn't. Neither could his 7-year-old sister. And I hate that it's one player. Maybe when they're a little bit older they'll enjoy it. If that happens, I'll figure out how to revise my review.
on March 25, 2013
I bought this game out of curiosity, since I am in love with Wreck-It Ralph. However, this game was rather disappointing. Instead of having the actual Fix-It Felix, Jr. game, you fight Cy-bugs switching between Ralph and Felix to save Vanellope? I don't remember; it's been some time since I've played this.

Disney did release the actual arcade game for the iPad (not sure about Android), which is a million times better than this game. If I were you, I'd save the $20 for the Wreck-It Ralph DVD, or maybe something else that is actually worth the $20.