Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on May 20, 2011
I bought this book for my daughter after reading a review. She loves it, she abuses it, she even took it into the machine shop and drilled a hole in it.

Highly recommend this book for all children, those with great imagination, those who need to kick start their imagination. Great gift for school teachers. While you're at it, you might as well buy two or three as once your kids' friends see this book, you'll be buying it for birthday presents.

I posted a pic of the hole she drilled in the book. Check it out.
review image
on June 25, 2015
The Gift that Keeps Giving

I love my journal! I ordered a copy for everyone in my family and it has become a sort of contest as to who can come up with the most creative ideas for each page. I think that this book is fun for anyone. I worried that I wouldn’t like it because I’m not exactly the best at drawing, however, I have fun using stickers and paper and completing the challenges.

Some pages are so hard to do for someone like me that likes their books to be perfect. I will freak out if my books have been dog eared, won’t buy a book if it has a price sticker on it, and hate hate hate cracked spines. So imagine how hard it is for me to do things like rip out pages, tear the spine, and get it wet (cringe).

I like that you don’t have to go in any order and that the rules are up to interpretation. I have had so much fun working on my book and sharing it with others. WTG is a great way to relieve stress and get your creative juices flowing.

I plan on getting everyone in my family a copy this Christmas (shh don’t tell.)
review image review image
on December 5, 2010
I love this book. Maybe the most freeing thing I've experienced in my adult life. My fiance got it for me as a gift after hearing about it from his friends. He told me to think of it like Jumanji... any time I open to a page, I have to do what it says or the game can't end. Okay, so I'm a little neurotic. I don't like to get food on my face, I never wrote in my textbooks in college, and I always cringe when I hear the spine of a book crack. Or, I used to be that way. Less than a week ago, I received the book in mint condition. Since then, it has been: dragged along the ground, dropped in a puddle, used as a napkin, torn, run through the laundry, licked, muddied, thrown out a window, and brought in the shower, among other things. The journal's still a little soggy from bathtime, but I feel great! I plan to get these for a LOT of people for Christmas... and to wrap at least one other present in a page or two from mine. If you have little neuroses--and I know we all do--this is a great cure, and a fun one, at that!
on July 29, 2008
I could not have anticipated how much fun this book would be. I had flipped through at a couple of stores before I bought it and remember thinking "I couldn't do this! I couldn't buy a book just for the purpose of destroying it." But then I came on here and read other reviews and decided to go ahead and order it. I am so glad I did! It is so freeing to throw it around, scribble on it with reckless abandon and do all the things you've ever dreamed of doing to a book, but knew you would get in trouble for. I have limited myself to one activity a day (boy is that hard!) so I can make it last as long as possible. I highly recommend this book!
review image review image review image review image
on September 25, 2007
This book is just plain fun! I think everyone needs it. This book is all about having fun, playing, creating, letting loose and breaking all the rules. I can't tell you how much fun I've had with this journal. At first some of the "assignments" seemed a little strange and I wasn't sure if I would actually do some of them. But I have to tell you that once I got into it I was having a blast with this book and doing all the fun and silly things Keri suggests. This book would be the perfect stress reliever for anyone. It would also be a great way to bring out that inner child in all of us. You can make a mess, tear things up, play around and do all the things that most of us adults have long since given up. Forget about all the stuffy journals out there that want you analyze your dreams and explore your deepest thoughts. Just play and have some fun. This book is all you need!
on March 28, 2012
This book is awesomely entertaining. I love it. Its creative and keeps you busy in your down time. I suggest doing what i did and buy it with a group of friends and work on the book together. It makes the experience that much more fun.
review image
on February 19, 2012
My first Keri Smith book was The Non-planner Datebook. I fell in love with this book and for the first time, actually completed a "journal" and really enjoyed doing it. I am a journal addict...literally have 10-20 sitting on shelves that are 1/4 written in or completely blank. So with my finishing success of the first journal, I searched out anything else by Keri Smith. I bought 3 books of hers, but started with Wreck This Journal. While enjoying this book, I found my 3 boys curious about what I was having so much fun doing. I started including them in 'wrecking' it. We have enjoyed so much quality time together, I will probably buy another one to complete with them! We laugh, we do crazy things with this book, that in a million years I never would have done. But having 3 boys under age 6 changes your perspective on what having fun is all about. We have now unplugged our TV and we enjoy more art, more messes, more giggles and more quality time bonding. Time I will cherish. Thank you Keri Smith for this great book and the reminder that things don't have to be perfect to be beautiful and fun!
on December 7, 2007
I had some fun with it when I first got it but the glamor wore off. I dont' blame that on the book but my own lack of attention span. I have to get back into it though. I'm trying to think of whether it would be better to do most of the dares and THEN shower with it or shower with it and then do the rest of the dares...suggestions?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 30, 2007
The first word that comes to mind in describing Wreck this Journal is EDGY. Take every off-beat idea you'd never think of, describe it in a way that makes people WANT to do it, add some really terrific exercises for exploring your limits, and you come up with this book.

I first heard about Wreck This Journal in an altered art group I belong to - one of the list owners gushed about the zany things she was trying based on the "instructions" in this book. Some of the ideas hit me as, "duh - why didn't I ever think of that?" to endeavors I was pretty sure I'd never do. But boy - how wrong I was! I really got into "wrecking this journal" - and in the process, expanded creative limits I didn't even know I had. Keri Smith definitely thinks outside any box you can come up with - and she's certainly not just a "color outside the lines" kind of girl. No...she's someone who wouldn't even pick up crayons to color, preferring instead to run over the paper with her car tire, fill areas with random staples, mail the page to herself, and then find some other totally cool way to radically alter the paper. Her spirit of exploration comes through loud and clear in this book - and it's impossible not to catch her energy.

This great Journal will remind you that paper is just paper and that art is just art - and I mean that in the best sense. You'll be more tempted to explore your art in new and exciting ways after reading this - and the fun is contagious. I'm having such a great time with this that my 7 year old daughter (the Diva in Training) begged me and begged me to get her a copy...which she'll be delighted to find under the tree this Christmas.

You may purchase this book with the thinking you wouldn't/couldn't follow some of Ms Smith's suggestions - but it won't be long before you're attacking the Journal with reckless abandon. That's just the effect this book has on you. You'll adopt a no-holds-barred attitude - and have great fun in the process. You'll also be more than a little surprised at how much you end up loving the finished Journal.

This book is an addictive impetus in a sense - and whether it was Ms Smith's intention or not - you'll find yourself pushing your boundaries in your art...and your life. But isn't that what it's all about?
on May 22, 2010
Wreck This Journal helps the uninspired get inspired. Lots of chances, to well, take chances. If you are feeling a little unmotivated, or bored, this journal gives you that nudge to pick up a pen - or scrub pad - and get to work. The idea is cute, but after flipping through the book when I first received it, all I could think of was, "I could just take an old book and alter it." I suppose if you need ideas like writing down 4-letter words or dragging a book on string around town, this book is for you. Don't get me wrong, it is...different? Neat? I've decided to share it with a friend; might be alright as a collaborative project.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse