5.0 out of 5 stars Making a Difference
Published 23 months ago by Jeremy Statton

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good lessons, but not for everyone
There are a lot of important lessons in WRECKED. It's very different from Goins's previous books on writing though. Unlike those other books, this isn't a book to improve your writing. This is a book about changing your life--about finding passion and fulfillment by undertaking the difficult path.

Not only is the subject matter different from Goins's other...
Published 23 months ago by Eric Christensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a Difference, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life (Paperback)
Being familiar with his writing, Goins' first trade book was a surprise. With a title like Wrecked, I expected stories of traveling the world and living out of the ordinary. Although Goins is encouraging us to live life differently, it just isn't for the sake of it. This book isn't about living in Africa to be different. It is about actually seeing the world and the people who live in it with you differently. Goins doesn't just encourage you to travel to Africa and gain perspective, although I believe he would encourage you to do this. He is also emphasizing commitment. He encourages us to be involved in people's lives in a way that matter. To truly make a difference for them and not just to make ourselves feel better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good lessons, but not for everyone, July 31, 2012

Not only is the subject matter different from Goins's other books, but the tone is different as well. There is a heavy Christian element to this book. Chances are, you know if that element is a plus or minus for you. If it's a plus, check out the book and find out some great ways to change your life. If it's a minus, I would still recommend looking at Goins's other books.

A more detailed review of WRECKED is posted on my blog at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will open you eyes and make you take a stand., August 1, 2012
I don't quite believe I've read a book like this before. So much honesty and truth about how we as a Christians tend to wait patiently for others to step in and help others in need, instead of taking on the responsibility ourselves. Jeff is bold in laying down sound christian principles and backing them up with his testimony. This book is challenging and thought provoking. I challenge every christian to read this book, share it and not only read it but ACT!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, you should read it, August 16, 2012
The Jeff Goins I know writes about writing. His blog dispenses many tips on how to become a better writer. His last ebook, You Are A Writer, was about the steps required to go from aspiring writer to real one. I found it helpful.

First, a few things on the top of my head.

Goins mentions God, references He and Him, and quotes and paraphrases (I think they were paraphrases, anyway) the Bible often in Wrecked. I'm not a religious person and I don't believe in god, gods or God. But I believe in faith, and I believe in people, so I chose to replace most of Goins' religious references with terms I use to describe behavior or circumstances I know to be beyond my control that I care about or affect me.

Wow, I hope that last line made sense. Anyway, Steven Pressfield's last third of The War Of Art was the same way for me.

If you're not religious, don't let that turn you off to Goins' book. It's simply a reflection of his beliefs and isn't used as a teaching mechanism.

We good? Okay.

This book was about being wrecked, which I took to mean having an experience beyond your control that deeply affected you. Because of the impact of the wrecked experience, it really doesn't matter if the outcome was good or bad because it was so intense such massive change would affect you greatly anyway.

It's about feeling compassion for others. And for the first time in my life, he nailed how most people view compassion: it's painful. It hurts to do good things for people. It really does.

But chicks dig scars if we learn from them. Emotional, mental or physically, being wrecked scars you so bad that you have no choice but to change your beliefs, your actions and maybe even who you are. As someone who's long turned toward helping others to block out my own frustrations, I can see how being wrecked becomes a goal in itself, because we're always better off long term.

Maybe that feeling is an addiction, too. Sounds a bit masochistic to me, but I'm a guy that runs in the AZ midday summer sun, so I dig it.

He didn't get five stars because about the chapter Get A Job (Fight Club reference, yes?) made me wonder if I could finish the book.

But I'm glad I did and you should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrecked got to me, August 8, 2012
I finished the book, a short 2-3 hour read, a few minutes ago. It messed me up, in a good way. It hit on thoughts and ideas that had passed through my mind, but never quite taken hold. It answered questions I had about past decisions, where I am now, and what I should do for the future. I'm inspired to take action. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and challenging, January 26, 2013
Wrecked is a book for a generation seeking significance. The anecdotes feel genuine, as does Jeff. This book challenges me to dive in, to get wrecked, and then to do something with my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than simply taking the high road., November 24, 2012
Gina (Lubbock, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoy many books but there are only a few I wish I had written myself. This is one of those books.

Jeff Goins does an excellent job describing what it is to experience the big picture.

This book helps us...

1. see beyond our own wants and desires with humility.

2. pick apart the miasma of emotions and excuses we use to assuage guilt and fear.

3. recognize the importance of developing useful habits in our youth. So that we may (hopefully) find ourselves in a good position to be of help to others, in later years.

4. see that while we are only a small part of the solution, we are still valuable parts of the solution.

5. discern when to let go and when to persevere.

As a teenager, I knew I wanted to make a difference in the world but it wasn't until my late twenties, that I experienced a life-changing crisis. Jeff Goins' book, Wrecked, is the first book I've read that truly illustrates the many facets of incorporating a life we're called to live into the life we have to live. This is a faith-based book and I appreciated that aspect of the book, too. Having said that, I believe the book is essentially based off basic universal principals of goodwill, benevolence, compassion and kindness toward humanity. I would feel comfortable giving this book to someone without religious beliefs or those who differ from mine.

I'm a single mother of 5 and volunteer in my community to minister to abused women and children. I've struggled with balance in juggling the demands of meeting many needs and the frustration of feeling it is all but a drop in the bucket. I'm always hesitant to say any one book, class or seminar is "life-changing." I will say this book has taught me practical lessons. I took away valuable eye-opening information that I can apply today.

Having experienced a crisis myself, I believe I could identify with the author through the entire book. I don't know how easily it would be for someone who hasn't been "wrecked" or for someone who has been complacent all their life? Personally, I think many people want to do more and do not for one reason or another. This book helps the reader understand and sort out some of that confusion.

I enjoy giving books as gifts and this will be the book of my choice this holiday season.

Thank you, Jeff Goins.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bored Wreck, October 11, 2012
Joshua Morgan (California United States) - See all my reviews
This review first appeared on my blog, Jacob's Café.

One of my biggest personal and professional interests is in finding and encouraging meaning and purpose. Jeff Goins' new book, Wrecked, about finding fulfillment in life sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I really didn't experience this text as providing anything new to the current Christian publishing industry.

The subtitle, When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life, really summarizes the book: Recognizing the need for healing and social justice and the lack of justice makes us "wrecked" and want to change the way we live. First of all, I just don't agree with this application of the term, wrecked. But ultimately, there is a plethora of books and blogs on exactly this topic. I can't say I really heard anything new in this book. Goins is a fine writer, and his tales are compelling, but no more so than any of the other things I've read on this topic.

In fact, this book seemed so redundant, I kept tuning out. I got bored enough that I just didn't finish the book. It's only the second time I didn't finish a book. The other time was because the content disgusted me so much. That was not the case here. There wasn't really anything I would disagree with (except the definition of wrecked). I just didn't experience it providing anything new.

In many ways, I'm glad the evangelical Christian publishing industry is encouraging people to look at and challenge their comfortable lives. But preaching the same message ad naseum isn't helpful.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nuggets but really didn't deliver, September 6, 2012
not a bad book. Had some good nuggets of truth but I was expecting more about how we should deal when we're "confronted with a broken world"...I felt like it was aimed more at young adults who are planning out their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of Wisdom, July 31, 2012
Pilar Arsenec (New York/New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Wrecked will make you see the world differently. Wrecked will convict you. Wrecked will not make you feel comfortable. Wrecked will challenge your complacency. Wrecked will propel you into action.

When we think of the word "missionary", we envision countries like Africa, India or Guatemala. However, these countries aren't the only places that need our help.

We can serve and make a difference wherever we live. We do not need to travel thousands of miles away to serve others in need. We can choose to serve right in our own communities.

Wrecked is full of delicious nuggets of wisdom. I highly recommend this book, it will change your life.

Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life
Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life by Jeff Goins (Paperback - July 24, 2012)
$13.99 $12.43