5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for children!
If someone can get their hands on this Book, Wren, I highly
recommend it for children and parents who have a sibling with
cerebral palsy. It will teach young children that anyone with
a disability can do anything if they have their mind set to it.
Almost everyone I knew read Wren when I was growing up.
I read it because it helped me understand my...
Published on September 8, 2001 by Lorrie Macgregor

2.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book
I grew up reading "Karen" and "with love from Karen" and really love both books. I thought I would enjoy "Wren" also. Not so. I thought Marie Killilea's attempt to synopsize the story of Karen for young readers was a disaster. As much as I like "Karen", that is how much I dislike "Wren".
In my opinion, the tone...
Published on October 14, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for children!, September 8, 2001
If someone can get their hands on this Book, Wren, I highly
recommend it for children and parents who have a sibling with
cerebral palsy. It will teach young children that anyone with
a disability can do anything if they have their mind set to it.
Almost everyone I knew read Wren when I was growing up.
I read it because it helped me understand my own cerebral palsy.
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book on cerebral palsy for children, April 26, 1998
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
This is a wonderful way to introduce children to cerebral palsy. Written by the mother of a child with CP, the story is told from the point of view of the big sister. Learn how Marie views the arrival of her sister and her feelings about her sister's challenges. Especially good for children dealing with a sibling's diagnosis.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic that is at once educational and delightful to read, July 19, 2001
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
"Wren" tells for children the inspiring story of Karen Killilea, the child who lived a miracle, and of her remarkable family. Beautifully illustrated, "Wren" invites the reader into the world of a child with cerebral palsy and, without ever preaching, opens the heart of a child reader before thst child has been afraid of those with disabilities. The humor and charm of the story will be much loved even in families without a special situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing Up with CP, April 29, 2001
Lorrie MacGregor (Robbinsville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
i HAVE TO ADMIT THAT WREN WAS ONE OF MY FIRST lOVES I HAVE CP AND IT HELPED ME TO UNDERSTAND MY OWN CP.
UNLESS YOU KNOW THE TIME-FRAME IN WHICH THIS WAS WRITTEN,YOU CAN NOT UNDERSDTAND HOW HER MOTHER FELT. I LIKED IT

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best books I've ever read!, March 16, 1999
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
"Wren" is one of my favourite books. My other favourites are "Karen" and "With Love From Karen." I think Marie Killilea is one of the best authors ever!

2.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book, October 14, 1999
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
In my opinion, the tone was cutesy and patronizing, some of the anecdotes were poorly chosen, and there were some real howlers, such as a bunny named "little black sambo" (which may have been acceptable in 1954). Also, the statement that Karen is a wonderful child because she never complains, works hard, and always has a cheerful attitude. This is an unfair burden to put on any child, much less a child with a severe physical disability. Also I disliked the repeated admonitions to Marie and Karen that they should not misbehave because that makes God sad and angry with them. That struck me as emotional blackmail.
The technique of going back and forth between Karen's story and the happy, lively Killilea family worked very well in "Karen" because there was room for it. It did not work so well here. A few stories about the family are fine, but not this rambling about the Killilea animals (the bunnies chew the furniture; one bunny has a litter, the details about the wrens, etc.). This was meant to be cute but seemed pointless to me. The only animal who deserved the detailed description was Shanty, because he was Karen's "second guardian angel" (a phrase I liked).
I also thought this book did not do a good job of explaining cerebral palsy at all, nor why Karen needed so many years of physical therapy. And characterizing therapy as a fun "Game" is patronizing in my view because it overlooks the years of hard work and dedication needed for Karen to gain use of her arms and legs. The therapy was described very well in "Karen," but not here.
I did like some aspects of the book. Starting out from Marie's point of view is a great idea. I also liked some anecdotes, such as teaching Karen how to hold her breath underwater, and the Christmas story at the end of the book. The illustrations, done by Bob Riger, are absolutely beautiful.
On the whole, however, I thought this story was a jumble of unrelated, cutesy, somewhat patronizing little anecdotes and I would not recommend it to anyone with CP or their families. CP can be made understandable to young readers. A good book is Marylin Gould's "Golden Daffodils".

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable Story, January 10, 2009
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
I read Karen & From Karen With Love when I was a young girl. I just fell in love with Karen and have never been able to forget her story. I have scoliosis and had polio, just a light case as a child and - to read a story about a girl that was around my age and managed just fine with her disability gave me reasons to hope when I felt low. I loved the way Marie wrote....I've looked for this book for years and now I've found it...I'll go back in time for a bit and say hello again to an old and dear friend. It's definitely worth your read. Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars This book was meant more for children., May 1, 2012
This review is from: Wren (Mass Market Paperback)
I think what some people who gave this book negative reviews aren't getting is that this book is for children, not adults which is the reason it might seem to "talk down" as one reviewer said. I read this book many years ago in 3rd or 4th grade and since I was a child, I did enjoy it. This children's book was also influenced me to read both "Karen" and "With Love from Karen" some years years later. Both of these books were written for teens and adults and as a teenager, I enjoyed both these books as well.

Someone else suggested that parts of the story were insulting because of the manner in which certain terminology was used. I think some readers are not aware ORIGINAL book was published in a much earlier time (late 1940s or very early 50s, I believe) at a time before awareness of how politically incorrect statements can, and ARE hurtful. However, I am not sure the author is living anymore to make the editorial changes in order to keep up with the more enlightened readers of today. Marie Killilea was an adult and Karen was already older than I when I read the book as a child.

In order to enjoy this book, it has to be taken for what it is, a CHILDREN'S book written many years ago and, therefore, rather dated as compared to children's books of these times.

I gave the book only 3 stars because it has been many years since I read it. However, I feel that since it was the reason for reading the other 2 books about Karen when I was a teenager in the 60s, it deserves at least this many.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a wonderful book for young children to give them a perspective into a disability., June 16, 2013
This review is from: Wren (Paperback)
I read this book when I was a child, and it made such an impression on me that I have not ever forgotten it. I read "Karen" and "With Love from Karen" later. Eventually, this helped kindle a desire in me to work in healthcare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 14, 2014
This review is from: Wren (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book. Brought back great memories for me.

Wren
Wren by Marie Killilea (Paperback - June 1968)
Used & New from: $6.31