Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Wrestler
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 24, 2012
This wasn't a good movie, in my opinion. Mickey Rourke really should call it quits where acting is concerned. Its not that he's that bad of an actor, but his "talent" seems to have vanished to only a sliver of what it used to be. And the cosmetic surgeries he's had have destroyed his good looks, which made it difficult to focus on the movie itself. It's as though I could only focus on the oddity in front of me, of this face that I used to recognize. Somewhere behind the horrible face lifts, is a familiar face that can only be seen in bits and pieces. It makes me sad.

Sorry for the rambling. Back to the movie itself. It's essentially about a washed up, used up wrestler-"has been". Depressing, really. I found very little, if anything, in this movie that moved me one way or another. I suppose if you are a wrestling fan, however, you might enjoy it.
on February 28, 2015
The digital copy didn't install. Thanks for nothing.
on February 23, 2015
GO TO USSR
on July 28, 2014
Don't waste your time:((((
on August 17, 2014
this movie is junk
on January 26, 2012
I thought I would like this movie, I really did. But it just drug on. I could not really make myself like any of the characters. I honestly wanted him to just die and have it be done with. Maybe it is because I am not a wrestling fan, but I didn't like it.
on February 9, 2009
Most reviews of this movie speak in superlatives, even the major newspapers. I must differ. For me, this praise shows how far we have fallen as a culture. We seem to no longer remember or appreciate movies with subtlety, intelligence, beauty, wit, grace, a good script, or good photography. None of these are in evidence in "The Wrestler". Instead we are given endless, overly long scenes of seedy behavior and places. It's geared to the lowest common denominator, as so many movies are today.
(Those who buy jeans with holes and dirt already manufactured in will probably think the movie is "cool"). Regarding the protagonist, we should know by now if one leads a life full of stupidity and bad decisions, the outcome will not be positive. So I won't dignify the movie with learned analysis, as so many misguidedly have. Captain Obvious could have written the script-predictable and trite all the way. Even the production quality of the movie was poor, with a grainy and shaky image (at least as I saw it in the theater; I haven't seen the DVD, so I can't speak to that). There have been many prize-fighter movies which had great dramatic quality, but this is not one of them. For example, "Champion", staring Kirk Douglas, was one such movie among others. I would rate that 4-5 stars.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
The movie was pointless and depressing. He was given many opportunities to change his life, but he choose the destructive path. I regret renting it. I should have been paid to watch this movie.
on April 19, 2009
Buy?? You know a special edition with commentary and better extras has to be coming out. We've got to stop jumping at these lesser releases and teach the studios not to double-dip.
88 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2009
I was really looking forward to seeing this film. I was kind of hoping for a type of Rocky movie set in the world of Wrestling. Instead I got 2 hours of depictions of low life drug abusers and women who you would not want to marry. Mickey plays Randy, a has been wrestler who is way past his prime but keeps going back into the ring because that's all he knows. If this sounds familiar to you I have no doubt you are over the age of 30 and have seen this type of movie done better countless of times.If are are 15 you will marvel at the superhero antics of the wrestlers and the scenes of gratuitous nudity.I had always hoped that the dumbing down of America would not extend to the cinema but I am sorry to say that it has. Randy just wants a meaningful realtionship with a 40 something stripper and all she wants is to give him a $60 lap dance. You have to wonder where all of Randy's money went when he was at the top of the heap in the 1980's? One can only conclude that he spent it all on booze and loose women.I already knew that there was a seedy side to professional wrestling and the director did not have to shoot the film in a documentary style to point this out to me.The film ends much the same way it started.It gives no redemption, no hope and no promise of a better tomorrow which is what good movies are supposed to do.That's why we pay money to go to the movies.If I want seedy reality (for free)I will turn on WWF and watch Hulk Hogan do his stuff.5 stars for Mickey who did the best he could do with the material he had to work with. One star for the movie.
1111 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse