Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on June 29, 2008
This set of 5 fantastic and interwoven tales (each of which stands upright and satisfyingly complete on it's own) really is for any age from about 10 up if you're interested in high quality, thoughtful writing, broad spectrum plots with well-drawn, complex, believeable characters and, genuine Meaning (without a mallet!) everywhere you look..... I am 62 and over the years I have read every one of these at least twice....(personal favorite is Many Waters)......Enjoy!...
on March 4, 2008
Madeleine L'Engle's "Time Quintet" has long been a staple of young adult literature. The earthy nature of her characters makes you want to follow them on their travels around the quaint Murry farm and, indeed, around the universe. "A Wrinkle in Time" is the cornerstone of the quintet. In it, we meet the Murry's quirky and original family and soon are wishing it was our own--as Calvin does. The scientific idea of the book involves tessering, or wrinkling, time. The more imaginitive setting is the war against "the darkness" seeking to envelop planets. "A Wind in the Door" is a little more difficult as it explores the differences or implications of "being" versus "non-being and the satanic Ecthroi and their war on the universe at ALL levels--even as tiny (size doesn't matter) as a farandola. "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" is a beautiful picture of what can happen when we charge the universe and place ourselves in the gap at times of great need. In ASTP, we find out more about the O'Keefe side of the family and the inhabitants around the star-watching rock many, many years before the Murrys come onto the scene. "Many Waters" is also a beautifully layered book looking at the pre-flood era of Noah and his family. Finally, we get to know more about Sandy and Dennys! They prove to be more that "just kids" as they begin to fit right in, help Noah with his Ark project, and gain the love of Noah's generation. Many great "what-if's" here. Lastly, we have "An Acceptable Time" which follows Polly O'Keefe (Meg and Calvin's firstborn) as she travels through time to the People of the Wind that lived around the Murry's land 3,000 years before they did. Through all her travails, she discovers that her gift and many other things must wait for "An Acceptable Time."
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 29, 2009
I love these books. My eight-year-old son loves these books. I read A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door when I was a child, and I loved both so much that I about wore the ink off the pages re-reading them. My son received this boxed set from his cousin, and we started reading them together.

The books themselves are well-made. I've gotten box sets (of other series) that were flimsy, fell apart, etc. These are well-produced, sturdy paperbacks that will hold up to repeated readings. The content is just exquisite. Juvenile fiction just doesn't get any better than this. The dialogue can be a little prim. The time travel theories can be a bit sketchy. But the stories are wonderfully written, richly descriptive worlds in which unconditional love and forgiveness make all things possible.

The only real caution I have is that in Many Waters, there are chaste, but obvious, references to intimate relations. They went right over my son's head (I think), and they weren't at all graphic or salacious, but parents might want to read the book and then decide whether their children are ready for it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2008
Remember this book as a child? I dug it out for my 9 year-old and he just loved it. We looked up on Amazon to see if there was anything else written by the author and were pleasantly surprised to see that this was a series of five books. He whipped through this series and LOVED it. I will also say that the updated boxed set is great--I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but these are just adorable, even though they're paperback. A fine update from a wonderful classic--and it looks cute on the shelf, too.
on March 16, 2012
This is the fourth time I have purchased this series. The first became dog eared and wrinkled with the frequent re-reading I did when I first became the owner of this series well over 40 years ago. The second copies were read, and reread to my youngsters as they grew until they were able to read them on their own. The third set went to my daughter so she could make these timeless books a part of her children's lives. And the last set is again for me to revisit the sci fi world that isn't really sci fi with Meg, Charles Wallace, Mrs Which and Whatsit and Who and the rest of the Murrays.

There is no greater accolade a timeless classic can receive than the re-reading by those who recognize the brilliance and shining truth of that classic. Madeleine L'Engle battled bullies, environmental issues, fear, world economies, political pressures and other "modern day" issues in a timeless fashion that I trust will live forever.
on August 21, 2009
The wrinkle in time series is one of the best series of childrens books ever written. This product containing all five books is a better value and keeps the books organized together in a boxed set than if purchased individually. There are other published versions and it is difficult to find all five books containing the same artwork. The old artwork style is a little better and less cartoonish, but it looks better having all five books with the same covers.
on June 27, 2015
Bought this for myself to read after surgery during my recovery period. I remember reading the first book in the set as a child and loving it. This set is very nice and I loved reading them. Convenient that the books are in a little box so that it's easy to lend the books to others. The set came on time and was properly packaged by Amazon. :)
review image
on September 17, 2010
My son read "A Wrinkle in Time" at school. He liked it so much that he was very excited to find it was part of a series. If it can get a 11 year old boy to read and want more, you know it must be good!
on December 19, 2008
... and, asked for the whole set for Christmas. I think it is a nice boxed set at a great price.
on August 27, 2015
Taken as a whole, this is a fascinating look at love in its many forms as well as people finding the courage to do the right thing.

It has been years since I read A Wrinkle in Time and it still holds up well on re-reading it. I care about Meg and her fierce love of her family. Calvin is there, steady and rock-fast. And Charles Wallace is so well drawn, with his intellect and his love. As I read the book as an adult, this quotation caught my mind:

“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”

I do like the message there and the message in the book. While written for young adults, the book is worth visiting or revisiting as an adult.

A Wind in the Door had me in tears by the end. There was both sorrow and joy alike. There were many layers and messages to be explored. As is typical with this series, love is important. To that end I think this concept may be the most important: "Love isn't how you feel. It's what you do."

Older now than when I first read the book, this quotation resonated now: "The temptation for farandola or for man or for star is to stay an immature pleasure-seeker. When we seek our own pleasure as the ultimate good we place ourselves as the center of the universe. A fara or a man or a star has his place in the universe, but nothing created is the center."

There is much to enjoy and much to think about in this book.

Never think that adults cannot learn from books such as A Swiftly Tilting Planet, or be reminded of truths. The book is especially appropriate for now with so much public posturing of brother against brother, love of power, and greed being portrayed. Lesson learned: “Hate hurts the hater more'n the hated.” Would that the power in these words would ease the hatred: At Tara in this fateful hour,
I place all Heaven with its power,
And the sun with its brightness,
And the snow with its whiteness,
And the fire with all the strength it hath,
And the lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the winds with their swiftness along their path,
And the sea with its deepness,
And the rocks with their steepness,
And the earth with its starkness:
All these I place,
By God's almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness!

Many Waters suffers by comparison with the other books in The Quintet of Time series. Any reader familiar with the story of Noah knows the framework of the novel. Still, these themes are timeless: choices made have consequences, evil fears and tries to destroy good, love is essential, and doing good things is necessary to stem evil.

This quotation stuck with me: Goodness has never been a guarantee of safety. And I think this quotation sums up the book: Many waters cannot quench the thirst for love, nor can the floods drown it.

I would suggest reading the O'Keefe series (The Arm of the Starfish, Dragons in the Waters, and A House like a Lotus) between the previous book and this one.

An Acceptable Time is another good book by L'Engle. Polly is still one of my favorite characters and she slips easily into this series from A House like a Lotus. I wonder about Zachary's eventual fate after this book; I am glad that Polly makes the decisions she does.

Favorite quote: "Whatever we give, we have to give out of love. That, I believe, is the nature of God.”

I am glad I read this series again as an adult. While appropriate for children and young adults, there is so much depth in these novels that I now have the maturity and wisdom to understand.