on July 31, 2014
What a disappointment! This book uses 18 point font, huge margins and wide spaces throughout to get to 94 pages -- and the content is pure fluff. The last 1/4 of the book contains a random, completely unnecessary bible quiz! Most of the book consists of vague power point bulletins accompanied by unhelpful, bizarre and off-topic commentary. The "templates" it claims to contain are very poor quality. I have never seen a publication with such poor quality content. Save yourself $7 and find a better book -- this one is a collection of high-school level ideas and uninformed, off-topic ramblings.
on January 22, 2013
If you need a comprehensive guide on how to build a business plan, then this book will answer your need. Not only do you get a clear, step-by-step plan to follow, Mr. Tokan also provides ready-made templates to use.

Every start-up business venture needs a business plan? This requirement is hammered home by business schools and mentors. Yet, it is a well known fact that a great many people launch into business without doing their homework.

My favoured analogy to business planning is navigation. Can you imagine a ship or airplane taking off with only a vague idea in which direction to head? Unless the navigator plots a course to his destination and checks progress along the way, he could end up anywhere and most likely in big trouble. Mr. Tokan clearly sets out how the same thing will happen to anybody who starts a business without first defining the proper course and the check points that will steer the business towards success.

Mr. Tokan argues that a good business plan must address Marketing, Operations, and Finances.
He defines the requirements for each one of these areas in great detail. In fact, you will learn a great deal about business planning itself by reading this book.

The most essential point the author emphasizes is to correctly define a Marketing plan. If this one is incorrect, then every other aspect of you business plan will also be wrong for the simple reason that it is built on the wrong foundation. The author points out the fallacy of creating a business plan that is based on a product or service offering nobody wants

This book clearly illustrates how you can create a business strategy that is cost effective and measurable, generates sales by offering a product or service to the right people and has the potential to penetrate a well defined market segment. Mr. Tokan stresses the need to carefully define a specific niche as "a very small segment of individuals who share a narrow set of wants, needs and wishes." Very specific examples are given.

You will find tips about product pricing and how to make sure you do not create the impression of offering sub-standard products services. You will learn how to price your product or service on the basis of costs and planned profit margin. Mr. Tokan illustrates how to incorporate competitive analysis into your business plan and how to adjust your plan so that you can compete successfully and make a profit. Unless your create a business plan that projects a satisfactory profit margin you won't be in business very long.

How are you going to promote your product or service? Find out why you want to start online with the focus on getting traffic, forming relationships and converting these into people who buy from you.

The author illustrates why the Marketing plan must be followed by an Operations plan and identifies six important issues that this operations plan must incorporate. Unless you can identify 4 or 5 of these issues, you will benefit from reading this book.

Finally, you will learn how to structure your Financial plan. Mr. Tokan provides a ready-made template on how to set up Cash Flow Projections, as well as a Profit and Loss outline which is accompanied by an offer to mail buyers a ready-made template.
on March 10, 2013
Information was good and generally well communicated. I didn't find anything groundbreaking but at a minimum the content could serve as a checklist for writing a business plan. Though aimed at a British audience, the book will be fine for an American reader.

The book was badly edited, with the standard mistakes that often accompany self-published titles. The editing was so bad in spots that it took credibility away from the author.

That being said, I found the book useful as a checklist and review of the basics of writing a business plan.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2012
Mr. Tokan is impressively brilliant in his knowledge of creating a business plan. He's fully aware that most business plans are the same. He makes an effort to create a template that differs from the rest. His efforts paid off - very well.

I'm also impressed with the fact that he's familiar with his own product by having used it himself. Too many inventors don't even use their own products - they just want other people to buy it and try it at their own risks.

Boomy's business knowledge becomes strongly obvious as he goes in depth about the five parts to creating a business plan. I find the questions he posed in the business plan to be helpful; for it makes people think whether they're headed in the right direction with their business ideas.

I also like that he detailed the consequences of bad marketing. This is important for businesses to know for the sake of not going in that direction. He even offers helpful advice on choosing a business name - big bonus!

"How to Write Your First Business Plan": With Outline and Templates Book (First Timer's Guide) is helpful to UK and US residents. This is because the author shows advantages and disadvantages of the various types of business both in UK and USA.

Overall, this book is a realistic view of starting a business. Purchase this book and it won't leave you astray.

Congratulations, Mr. Tokan, on a job well done.
on February 8, 2014
This guide might be OK for a 5 year-old wanting to sell homemade lemonade in their driveway, but that's where it ends. I was duped into buying it when I "also bought" Start Your Own Business. That's the only book you need - and it says that!
on June 6, 2014
How in the world did this get published and even more shocking, is that we got some copy where it appears someone put two books together that have nothing to do with each other. The first half of my lovely copy has poetry by someone named Anna Evans. Then we get some of Boomy Tokan's advice, which seems like it was written for my toddler. So whomever published this mess doesn't deserve to even be in the publishing business.
on February 3, 2014
I found the material in this book easy to follow and presented in a clear and concise manner. However I'm giving this 4/5 because the editing and obvious spelling mistakes are atrocious in some places. The layout of tables/screenshots from Excel also leave much to be desired (in one place they are nearly incomprehensible). If you can get past that, you'll find this to be a very useful reference.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the perfect book for anyone who is thinking about starting their own business. Everyone, including myself, needs a good business plan to get moving in the right direction. It had a little bit of everything in it, for example, researching your competition, Finances, marketing, and operations. It covers the basics using a professional approach in an easy to understand manner. The best part of this book is that it doesn't contain pages upon pages of useless information like a couple of other books I've purchased. Every page is valuable in helping to write a good business plan. Whether you're a novice (like myself) or a professional, Tokan takes the stress and confusion out of it, it even has templates that helps jump start your business and it's full of useful advice and tips that are easy to follow. I'm really glad I found this eBook and at a great price. You can't ask for more than that. I recommend it to anyone serious about starting a business.
on July 29, 2013
It was an ok book but geared more towards the UK. And now I have to fill in nine words
on October 14, 2013
Mr Tokan has written an excellent book
We had a saying in the Army "Keep it simple stupid!" and luckily for me he does. This is the second business plan book that I have read, I only wish I had seen this one first.
Its a short book, but packed full of handy tips and advice. This book now sits next to my laptop as I fight my way through my first attempt at a business plan.
Mr Tokan also sent me his free templates very quickly following my request, with an offer of additional information to follow.

I'm no expert but I can say this book is helping me and worth a look.