Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Write a Winning College Application Essay, Revised 3rd Edition
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 7, 2003
This best part of this book is that it has a large section (50+ pages) on how to gather the raw material on your life that can help you find the material for your essay. If you have no idea who your hero is or what adversity you've overcome, this will help you find your story and the supporting antecdotes that make your essay stand out. Mason also gives very specific instructions on how to write a good essay. This would be a good book for someone who wants some guidance turning ideas into a workable essay. It also has short chapters in writing essays for the SAT II English test, graduate school admissions and scholarship essays.
on September 25, 2002
Of the many books on college that I've brought home for my offspring to look at, _How to Write a Winning College Application Essay_ is the first that my daughter read.

The book is well organized and has interesting topics. My favorite was the chapter of essays gone wrong, and the intelligent discussion of what went wrong with them. My daughter spent hours on the writing exercises--though she hates her writing about herself--and I think they helped her. The tone of this book is helpful, not the least bit condescending, as it points out errors of content, style and tone that can hurt the applicant's chances.
on September 22, 2013
I liked the things other reviewers said and liked what I saw skimming thru this book. Fortunately, our high school does a wonderful job working with their students on getting a good essay prepared in a timely and orderly manner. With all the high school support, my daughter didn't feel the need to use this book. Glad to have it as a resource though. The essay's not quite done yet!
on April 15, 2008
This book is very helpful in forming a coherent, persuasive and meaningful application statement. Michael Mason was my senior AP English teacher, and speaking with him in person is even more beneficial! If possible take one of his writing workshops, he is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. If you can't find a workshop to take, at least pick up the book!
on August 13, 2012
As college planning/funding counselors, we've been using this book for some time as a component of our services. We hold a summer "Boot Camp" during July and August for our newly-minted seniors. Half of the 2.5 hour session is devoted to discussing the do's and don'ts of essay writing. How to Write a Winning College Application Essay is the only book we have all our students purchase before attending the boot camp. We've created a Workbook that walks the student through this essay writing book in order for the student to utilize the book to its maximum. When a student sends to us a preliminary copy of what is to be their near-final draft of an essay we can discern immediately whether or not they've read the book. The best essays are provided by those that have read the book!! Complete College Funding Solutions, Torrance CA.
on June 6, 2015
"How to Write a Winning College Application Essay" is a great source to reference when sitting down to write your own college application essay! If you are looking for fresh ideas or topics to crafting your personal statement, this book is the guide you want to follow. It offers advice, tips, and counsel to choosing your personal statement tops and phrasing it in such a way that your essay stands out from all the rest. A site providing the accepted essays and applications from all of the top universities, AdmitSee.com, is a wonderful academic arena to frequent when looking for inspiration and advice!
on June 9, 2015
You can never have too much advice when writing those college application essays. I was a terrible writer and had no confidence in my writing skills. This book provided concrete, step-by-step advice on discussions, examples, guidelines, analysis, and more. Also, I found it helpful to read real college essays on Admitsee.com to get a better sense of what kinds of essays are successful in getting into college.
on December 23, 2008
I bought this last year whern my daughter was applying to college. Since she had her heart set on a very selective school, she wanted to be able to craft an articulate essay. This book is helpful in showing you what are the elements of both good and bad essays. You don't have to take every hint- you do need to find your own voice after all; but instead of pulling your hair out over where to begin, you can read some advice, sleep on it, then begin your own masterpiece essay. And good luck to you!

PS- she did get in to her top choice early decision.
on December 8, 2013
We bought several how-to books on this topic, and like this one the best. It has discussions, examples, guidelines, analysis, very helpful.
on March 31, 2014
This is a great book I read a few years back when I was applying for colleges. Definitely talks about a lot of fundamentals and throws in those extra tips to give you that extra edge. However, one of my main concerns is that you can’t tell if the students who wrote these essays were admitted into their college of choice, whether it be due to their writing or other factors.

A good friend of mine the other day told me to check out this website AdmitSee. I checked it out and wished that this existed when I applied for colleges. It allows you to not only view an admitted student’s application essay, but everything else in their application file as well. Keep in mind that everything that you’re viewing is from someone who’s ALREADY ADMITTED into the college of their choice. I highly recommend that you visit the website before buying the book. At the very least, you should browse the essay intros for free on the AdmitSee Essays Tab. If you’re serious about college admissions, don’t neglect this resource.