5.0 out of 5 stars This has become my writing "bible"
Published on January 19, 2008 by Jenny

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Fluff
Published 21 months ago by C. Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars This has become my writing "bible", January 19, 2008
Jenny (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids (Paperback)
As a writer and mother of two young kids, this book has been invaluable to me! I've read a lot of writing books over the years but this is the first one that so clearly addressed my specific concerns as a writer trying to balance motherhood and a career. This has truly become my writing "bible." And with it's convenient "purse-size" I hardly leave home without it anymore!

The chapters are chock-full of easy-to-follow practical advice and exercises to help you succeed, from writing query letters to finding your perfect target market. And you'll find lots of warm-hearted encouragement for those days when you have "writer mama burnout." It's like having a best friend sitting with you at the keyboard, cheering you on!

For any mother who dreams of non-fiction publication, this is the perfect resource. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, July 18, 2007
FINALLY! There is finally a book that reflects the life a freelance writer mama lives. Christina Katz has written one of the most - if not the most - comprehensive books for "Writer Mamas" I've ever read. Five ideas came to mind immediately for fillers and a feature article while reading the book, things I hadn't thought about in years. Now, I'll be submitting these ideas. This book reminds me of something someone once said to me, "It may be simple, but it won't be easy." If you're a "Writer Mama" now, or have aspirations to become one, this is the book to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Practical, March 11, 2008
I came across this at the library and found myself renewing it over and over. Sometimes returning it late, and paying fines, I realized it would make sense to finally PURCHASE it (!) and let someone else enjoy the library's copy. I also read it in just a couple days and then pick it up a few times a week for more inspiration and practical tips. Thanks for helping writers and mothers figure out how to do both better!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Encouraging Picture of Taking Small Steps, June 26, 2008
Women, and particularly Moms, face emotional challenges daily, such as: Did I love my children well? Am I presenting my best self professionally and coming across confidently? Am I subconsciously harboring insecurities about writing which ultimately keep me from putting pen to paper?

Don't get me wrong: this is a book about writing and taking practical steps to getting published, focusing on freelance writing but also including nonfiction; it does not presume to be a psychological book at all. HOWEVER, Katz hints at something a bit deeper and more subtle throughout the book: don't get overwhelmed, just take it one step at a time.

I like Christina Katz's approach of taking small steps slowly in achieving your goals. In truth, it is remarkably comforting to see it that way, and of course, it is the only way to go. Obviously I shouldn't be going for the front cover feature on my first try.... As a young writer, this book made me realize my own tragic flaw: I wanted to be happy, smart, articulate, and semi-famous, and that without much effort at all...

Katz demonstrates the "you can do it" mentality by the broad and very complete scope of issues that she deals with in the book (check out the table of contents to see what I mean). She takes nothing for granted, but clues you into all the big and little steps some people may assume you already know. I knew next to nothing about freelance when I picked it up, and now I am not nearly as intimidated by the freelance world.

And her good news is, work can be pleasurable and even fun! Browsing through the aisles of Barnes and Noble (or your bookstore of choice), with a hot beverage in hand, looking for the zeitgeist amongst bestsellers to get ideas for articles (getting "geisty" as she calls it)... how much more fun could it get?! If you are a born writer, you will hear her voice calling you like a siren, and you will find her tips, ideas, and her encouragement to write irresistible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Help and Inspiration for New and Experienced Writers, March 29, 2007
One realizes right away that Christina Katz has put an incredible amount of work into this book. She provides all the detailed information a new writer needs to know about the freelance writing business, and refreshes the mind of the experienced writer who may have momentarily lost touch with the ins and outs of the business while having children.

Katz supplements her own expertise as a Writer Mama by providing additional resources and websites inside the book that offer Writer Mamas support and good ideas.

There are thousands of books on writing---THIS one is for the Writer Mamas! Whether they are nursing their dreams along with their babies or are already writing and publishing, all of the Writer Mamas will enjoy reading a book just for them.

As Katz points out throughtout the book, one's writing does not have to halt once one has children--it may just need to transition a bit. Writer Mama is the book, and Katz is the author, that helps one undergo that transition the way only a Mama could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Writer Mama and Launch Your Writing Career, May 25, 2008
I don't care if you are a Writer Mama, a Writer Dad or a singleton without kids, this book is indispensable if you want to become a writer/author and get published! As opposed to most books out there about writing that are intimidating and overwhelming, Ms. Katz's tone is warm and helpful. She shows you how to get published even though you don't have a newspaper column that 300,000 people read every week or a marriage to a famous celebrity. (For those of you in the dark here, I'm talking about Jessica Seinfeld and her book Deceptively Delicious. We all know she got that book deal because of her marriage to Jerry.) But I digress. Perhaps more important, Writer Mama is very well organized and filled with practical information. If I ever get published, it will be because of Writer Mama! So if you want to be a published author, don't walk, but run to your nearest Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstore. Or better yet, let your fingers do the work and place the order now on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource For New Writer Moms, March 18, 2007
WriterMeeg (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I think this book is really a perfect entree into freelance writing for moms who are trying to launch a home writing business. It offers clear instructions on how to break into writing for magazines and Christina's and other writer-mom's tips on how to juggle the writing life and motherhood.

I've been a professional writer for a dozen years, so some of what I read in the book was not new to me -- however, I have never been a full-time freelancer or a mom before this past year, so the book has already been invaluable to me, especially for the practical mom advice. My struggles are time, organization and to get or not get childcare, tough topics she tackles in the book. Also, I'm used to bigger writing projects, and the idea of writing short pieces with fast turnaround was an a-ha for me, and a good lesson in how to shift my focus and juggle my new roles.

Christina's tone is friendly and clear, and she includes quotes from many successful freelancers and writer mamas. I love it, and read it while I rock my sleeping little one.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book every Freelance Writing Mother MUST Have!, March 13, 2010
This is a wonderful little book aimed specifically for busy moms who want to be freelance writers or book authors. It shows you how to balance the myriad responsibilities of motherhood with the long-term and short-term goals you have as a writer.

As the editor for the Bella Online Moms site, I need to come up with ideas for new content each week and I am constantly looking for ways to improve my writing skills. This little book fit the bill perfectly.

It's chock full of great ideas for improving every aspect of your writing. Ii is also the perfect size for slipping into your bag and is very attractively presented.

It has been divided into 4 main sections :
PREPARATION: In this section you learn more about the attitudes and tools that successful mommy writers use and how to adapt them for your unique style of writing.

PRACTICE: This section shows you how to build your basic writing skills and is filled with lots of helpful tips on writing anything from full-length articles to essays. You will also learn how to submit your work with a basic cover letter. This chapter was very useful to me as a fledgling freelancer.

PROFESSIONALISM: Here you will learn how to query for assignments and when to send a query letter instead of a cover letter as well as how to complete longer assignments without losing your balance.

POISE: If you've ever wanted to be a well respected and recognized author then this chapter is definitely for you. This chapter will show you how to develop yourself and your talents so that you become recognized by agents and editors alike.

All in all this is a wonderful book for all writer mama's out there. No matter how experienced you are you are bound to learn something from this fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Primer for New Freelance & Nonfiction Writers, August 23, 2007
Christina Katz helps hopeful writers get started and grow as nonfiction freelance writing professionals for newspapers and magazines in her book Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids. Following her own guidance from Chapter 10 on how-to articles, she repeatedly answers the essential question that every writer must ask herself when writing a how-to piece, "What happens next?" Step-by-step, her engaging prose is dense with helpful information as you explore writing tips, lists, fillers, how-to pieces, personal essays, and features. She takes you through the process of understanding yourself and where you might best fit in the market; how to identify and analyze your target market; when and how to generalize or specialize; how to develop a marketing platform and visibility to smooth the transition from being freelance writer to nonfiction author; and how to leverage connections in writer's groups and at conferences to perfect your nonfiction book pitch and proposal. She even touches on critical skills like interviewing, developing queries, negotiating, business management, developing multiple income streams, and managing burnout. And, of course, she offers her insights on how to find inspiration in and ways of working around your children, their interests, and their energy. The book design is delightful and easy to read. Highly recommended to anyone who is in the first few years of tackling writing in the nonfiction field. More seasoned writers looking for a career shift may also benefit greatly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Fluff, March 12, 2013
This book is useless unless you want to be a freelance writer for junky magazines and churn out cliched "X tips for Y" lists and boring filler. It assumes that you are not an experienced writer in the first place, so I felt like the entire book was talking down to me. The title should be "Inexperienced Writer Mama: How to Raise a Freelance Fluff Journalism Writing Career Alongside Your Kids," but I guess that would be too verbose and it would scare off buyers who are looking for a true blend of advice about time management, parenting, and serious writing.

The reality is that junk internet journalists are a dime a dozen, and printed magazines are struggling to recruit and retain subscribers. Freelance journalism is a road to nowhere for many. Where others succeeded a few years ago (prior to 2007, for example), very few will succeed today. If you are a serious writer who wants to do more than write fluff pieces (or if you've already spent time writing fluff pieces and you want to move up), then look elsewhere.

The book is supposed to have plenty of time management advice for moms, but it just gives a few tips like "write while they nap" and "take a notebook to the park to jot down ideas while your kid plays." I already knew about these practices, and I am disappointed that the book did not elaborate further.

Let's face it: caring for children takes up a lot of your time. If you are a parent (especially one that stays home with small children), your life is already very full. There is no magic book that will change that fact.

Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids by Christina Katz (Paperback - March 15, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01