5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Writing Source that You Haven't Heard About
This is the writing resource that I wish I had been introduced to back in high school when writing essays and term papers. It is accessible for high school students but can also provide guidance for those out of school.
Published on June 11, 2003 by jjw222

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the paperback - spend a little more for the hardback
As an English and Special Education teacher I've found the Writers Inc. books to be a very helpful reference book for my students. However, the hardback versions are better organized and easier to find information than the softback. So, spend the few extra dollars...to get the better book.
Published on September 19, 2002 by John E. King

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Writing Source that You Haven't Heard About, June 11, 2003
With writing becoming increasingly important in high school (the SAT is about to add a writing section), this is an invaluable pedagogical resource for the teacher and student. High school and college student with superior writing skills will always differentiate themselves from their peers. By using this book, the student will improve organization and construction of essays and term papers as well as improve analytical reasoning and thinking. There is even a section of appropriate language for business writing. Teachers will find the most improvement in student's revising skills, a step that most high school students skip over in the writing process.
It is more useful as a writing resource than as an authority on grammar. For a grammar resource, I recommend Dianne Hacker's Writer's Reference. Another useful writing resource for those out of school is Peter Elbow's Writing Without Teachers. Elbow's book is quoted several times in Writer's Inc. for providing suggestions for lifelong improvement of writing out of school. Another perennial favorite is E.B. White's Elements of Style.
More parents, students, and educators should be made aware of this book. It is a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using Writer's Inc. after 9 years!, February 11, 2000
A. O'Leary (Northfield, MN) - See all my reviews
This book served me well through high school, college, my first job as a newspaper reporter, and also as a content writer for an Internet integrator. Highly recommended. I believe all schools should do what my high school did with this book: but a copy for every student to keep forever. It is an invaluable resource, with the right approach, and a little attitude.
Fun, witty, smart, direct, and simply the best reference book I've ever owned, Writer's Inc. is exceptional not only for its utility, but also its content. Writer's Inc. is not only a grammar guide and reference, but addresses the THINKING and LEARNING processes in a way that most schools fail to do directly.
Read this book. Keep it on your shelf all through school, college, a career, and the rest of your life after this and you will have a richer mind for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for High School and beyond!, October 8, 2002
We are using Writers Inc in homeschooling our 10 and 12 year olds. It provides clear, concise explanations of grammar that even 4th graders can understand. We've used it for teaching sentence construction, grammar, speech, and book report and research paper writing. It has sections on just about everything relating to communication at all levels. There are even many unexpected resources including conversion charts, maps, a calendar and much more. An extremely valuable resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have handbook, September 17, 1999
By A Customer
This is the best handbook for writing I've ever had the privilage of using. It was my course book for my junior and senior year in high school, and now here I am in college, and I still use it frequently! It is indispensable! If you like to write, you'll read each page over and over until you are saturated with the wonderful ideas within, and even if you hate writing, you'll appreciate the conciseness and clarity of this book. The index is extremely easy to use, and the topics cover nearly everything you need to know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it for life!, November 5, 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book in 1993 as a requirement for my high school freshman English class. I have used it so much over the years that the spine is barely holding together! The information is laid out so simply and it is wonderfully easy to understand. The only reason you'll ever need to update it is to keep up with new rules on sourcing. My copy was written before there were even encyclopedias on CD-rom, much less the internet! But I still use it today -- 10 years and a master's degree later!

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the paperback - spend a little more for the hardback, September 19, 2002
John E. King (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It was much much better than expected, July 10, 2000
When I went to buy all the required books for my english class, I thought that this would be just another boring book. I was wrong, this book is interesting, user friendly and easy to read. I used many, many, many times outside of that english class. It shows you how to write those difficult bibliographies for any situation and reference. It also includes sample resumes. This book is not only good for students, but for adults. It will make business letters look more intelligent by helping you to choose the correct grammar and sentence structure. It is very much written in plain english. This would also make a great gift for graduates entering High School or college.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book for All Students, March 15, 2006
When my daughter entered high school, her English teacher recommended this book and informed the parents that it would become the "bible" for writing papers. How correct she was!!! This book was used extensively by my daughter in high school. Now that she is away at college and took it with her, I purchased another one for my son. I believe it is the most used book in our house, besides the dictionary. No one can write a paper correctly without owning this resource.

3.0 out of 5 stars Writers Inc, A Student Handbook for writing and learning, October 31, 2007
The latest edition of Writers Inc is a great resource for any student or teacher, but does not provide the extensive list of prefixes, suffixes, and word roots included in my copy of the 1996 edition published by D. C. Heath and Company, a Houghton Mifflin company. I recommended this book to a student who was looking for such a list. We were both disappointed that these lists had been removed. If you have an earlier version, don't count on this one being exactly like a previous edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars essential guide, March 27, 2004
By A Customer
I was introduced to this book in high school where we were required to have a copy and use it throughout all four years of English classes. I found it so invaluable that my first copy was worn out during college. Combined with "The Elements of Sytle" (Strunk and White), there is no excuse for poor writing.

Writers Inc: Teacher Handbook for Writing and Learning
Writers Inc: Teacher Handbook for Writing and Learning by Dave Kemper (Paperback - February 21, 2006)
$30.75 $27.24