Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on April 12, 2011
Ill keep this short. I am currently attending university level schooling and this book has been at my side for well over a year. Not only does it show how to use MLA, but also APA and CMS. The binder style of this book is great because it lays flat and you dont have to worry about the page turning itself right in the middle of your using of it. I'd recommend getting a book stand for it, not only to help reduce the clutter around you, but also to be able to use it 'at a glance'. The only negative thing about this design is that the pages can be more easily ripped from the book, so some extra awareness of how you treat this book is recommended.

The majority of this book deals with the foundation of writing in general which will come in handy if the person this book was purchased for is still in high school or has a shaky writing foundation. Occasionally, one finds themselves needing to look up the odd rule of grammar that they learned too long ago to use effectively. This section helps with that as well. I have even used it to argue grammatical penalization marks that professors have given me on papers.

A WORD OF WARNING!!!
This book will prove to be valuable to all who see it and it is recommended that you know where it is at all times. Considering the price of the book, it is not cost effective to keep replacing it when others have decided that they want it more than you do and steal it from you. (It is for this reason alone that I have two copies. With two copies, I know immediately if foul play has happened because I know which one is missing immediately; to be fair, I have only had one stolen from me and I plan on keeping it that way. When I get up from my table, I take my laptop and this book with me. It is more valuable than text books)
on October 15, 2011
It is well organized by subjects and well explained, with examples. Easy to learn to speak and write English well.
on August 21, 2011
The book was helpful for the writing class I needed it for and I am going to use it for at least one of my other classes. Anything I had a question on about citing references and other rules about writing was in the book. Except for the specific questions I had about the paper and assignments, I found the answers to my questions in the book. I would recommend it to anyone who has to write papers or cite anything even if you are not taking a writing class. This is one of those books that is good for pretty much any class.
on August 16, 2010
This Reference is very helpful to a writer who has any questions about writing papers. It is clear and concise, which makes it perfect for a student in particular.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
This book was very acceptable, and I would by more from this source. I am very happy I could receive great business through amazon.com!
on August 23, 2013
Diana Hacker is a past professor of mine so I am not surprised she wrote such an excellent reference book. After not going to college for 20+ years and then returning I found I had forgotten some things. This book is just what I needed. I highly recommend it.
on January 12, 2014
This was a required book for an EN 102 class, and my college book store had it for $50... I spent $10 including shipping for this copy with the expectation of just using it a few times for the class. However, it has been quite handy for all my classes.
on June 19, 2014
I had to use this book in an English class. I sold it on amazon after the semester was over. I always regretted selling it. It's exactly what it says: A Writer's Reference. Awesome to have on hand if you eve have a question writing a paper.
on July 19, 2014
A Writer's Reference has led me well through a now published memoir, called Laughter on My Path. It was recommended by an English professor colleague at Missouri Southern State University.
on January 30, 2013
I had to buy this book for my first college comp class. It is a must have, now I am in comp 2 and still use it. My English proffesor was right when she said we would always make use of it.