5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, articulate, and readable rhetoric.
Published on November 17, 2004 by J. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars A lackluster experience.
I didn't buy this book because writing arguments fascinates me. I picked it up because I needed it for my freshman composition class. For that, it serves a purpose, but I do not particularly like this book.

I love to write. Absolutely love it, and I am always interested in books that can help me become a better writer.

This book, however, is a...
Published on March 3, 2008 by M. Salakka

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, articulate, and readable rhetoric., November 17, 2004
"Writing Arguments" shines like a beacon in the dark and murky waters of composition textbooks. Although some have critiqued it for its "passive" approach, I support both the approach and the layout as the best way I've found to approach basic argumentation. A solid understanding of audience (in particular) is vital for successful writing, and it's also something inexperienced, self-focused writers often lack.

Rather than pushing a "win at all costs" or "go with your gut" victory-based approach to rhetoric, the authors promote rhetorical writing grounded in Perelman's audience concepts, Toulmin's warrants, and Aristotelian enthymeme. By encouraging students to locate common ground (warrants) between themselves and their real or imagined audience, this book sets them up to engage in rhetoric as participants in a broader civic culture. And this is the rhetoric that will ultimately equip them to survive in the real world--where knowing what a client or an opponent wants and believes is critical to "winning" the argument in a lasting and productive way.

No theory or approach is perfect (not that I've found so far at least), and a rigid application of the Toulmin model or the schema as outlined in this book will inevitably bog down writers as they move into more advanced composition. But that, afterall, is why we teachers are there. By focusing students' attention on the basic principles in the book--audience awareness, orderliness, situational groundedness, etc.--rather than forcing them to memorize rules or endlessly construct Toulmin models, I may just be able to help my students develop a new respect for argumentation as discovery (and themselves as rhetors) in the public sphere. And if we can do that, maybe there's a little civil light in the civic culture tunnel after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremly helpful, January 11, 2011
I have just started reading the first 4 chapters. It sticks to the point of what you need with learning how to write a successful argumentation paper. I have ADHD and I am able to understand and write with the instructions in this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for Argument Presentation, March 1, 2007
Monty Rainey (New Braunfels, TX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Presented in textbook fashion, WRITING ARGUMENTS: A RHETORIC WITH READINGS, doesn't exactly make for compelling reading, but is certainly a critical source for argumentation documents. Author's Ramage, Bean and Johnson guide the reader through the process both deliberately and succinctly, covering every aspect of argument presentation, beginning with definition through source documentation.

Mine is an older edition and the technology aspect is dated, but nonetheless, I turn often to this book to guide me through argument preparation. Though certainly intended for classroom study, this book is also useful outside the classroom. I have prepared a fair number of arguments for political presentation and have found this to be a useful volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars In LOVE with this text, September 16, 2012
This review is from: Writing Arguments: A Rhetoric with Readings, Brief Edition (9th Edition) (Paperback)
As an instructor, I am in LOVE with this text. I teach an argument-based research composition course and this text has improved the effectiveness of my teaching methods while at the same time making learning enjoyable for my students. The text is easy to read and uses language familiar with students of all ages (I teach at a community college and as a result the age range is tremendous). In addition, the book includes relevant examples that students can further relate to. I have taught this course previously using another textbook for three semesters and I dreaded the use of the previous textbook. Now, teaching this course, while using this text for the first time, I get excited creating my class agenda. The activities included in the text allows for the students to foster dynamic discussion. I have never before LOVED textbook this much. I look forward to continuing using this text.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lackluster experience., March 3, 2008

This book, however, is a confusing read. It has a monotonous design: chapters are not easily distinguishable from one another. Sample essays are, of course, always nice, but they are peppered throughout the book to an exhausting degree. The writing is technical and uninspiring. I found that I learned more about ethos, pathos and logos by listening to my instructor than by browsing through the overly-complicated text in this book.

Some books are designed to look interesting and to excite you into reading them. This one is unfortunately not one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing Arguments, February 23, 2011
This is a textbook required for an English Composition class. To date, I've found it suprisingly well written and provacative. It's been many years since I took an English composition course and I may actually find I enjoy it in part due to this text.

5.0 out of 5 stars College Composition, October 15, 2013
Katt (Chesapeake, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
Another book I purchased for my daughter to assist her in her dual enrollment class. High school in the morning and College in the afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
Great book

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful, July 5, 2014
It was good for explaining and clarifying writing styles. I'm very analytical, and this book was helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 2, 2014
lori shaw (Honolulu, HI, US) - See all my reviews
Quick Ship, Just as described

Writing Arguments: A Rhetoric with Readings, Brief Edition (9th Edition)
$91.00 $73.39