Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 6, 2010
Galvan's book is well-structured and easy to read. The organization of the book--using guidelines--makes it easy to follow. However, I would be cautious to restrict myself only to the guidelines recommended as they are not comprehensive. For example, the chapter on how to review qualitative research lacks other guidelines for establishing the credibility of a piece of research. Another point to note is that there are different styles of literature based on one's epistemological beliefs and the purpose of the review, hence the guidelines recommended as well as samples included may obscure other ways of organizing literature review. Overall, a useful book to start one off a literature review, but I would supplement this book with others to obtain a more balanced point-of-view.
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2011
Very practical and well-designed guide. Definitely a must-have for any academic facing the rigors of an advanced degree or a professional writer in training. Key points stand out and the examples are easily followed.
on December 15, 2010
This is a fantastic resource to help anyone writing a lit review, treatise, or even thesis when they are first getting started. If you think the task is too daunting, this book will break it down for you.
on December 31, 2012
This is the best guide for writing a Literature Review. This was a text used in one of my doctorate classes. I have referred to it over and over again in writing my dissertation proposal. Can be used for any literature review and is a great step by step approach.
on July 13, 2015
This book gave me a basic understanding of literature reviews. The author walks with the reader step-by-step through the process. Although it was helpful, it certainly was not enough for my completing the lit review for my dissertation.
on October 20, 2014
This book was needed for a class my mom was taking while she is in online school for her doctorate. But the classes go so quickly she doesn't get to really utilize the books to the fullest. It should be good to keep on hand for future reference.
on September 26, 2013
I received on time, the book was in good condition, other than being hi lighted through most of the book, which I did not remember reading in description, but seller offered to return money, but did not have anymore to replace, I had to keep because I needed it for class....so may not get as much when I resell back. The book has been useful in helping me write a literature review for my research project. Informative book.
on June 5, 2012
This book has so much useful information in it. I recommend it for any doctoral student. The chapter on putting your research into themes was especially insightful
on October 22, 2013
The book was required for a class but was written in a very clear and easy to follow way. It was helpful in preparing to do literature critique.
on September 22, 2012
The book is awesome. I have skimmed it and will be using the tips within to make my understanding of literature reviews and the writing of literature reviews much better. Thanks for the reccomendation Amazon!