5.0 out of 5 stars Writing for emotional well being, January 29, 2008
James J. Cremin (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing for Wellness: A Prescription for Healing (Perfect Paperback)
Being a three time cancer survivor myself, I first sat in Julie Davy's class at the City of Hope as a skeptic. I was expecting to hear a bunch of sob stories on how cancer has ruined their lives. What I got instead was stories that were very personal and ways to have eyes open on how one sees and accepts the word. Yes, there are stories of loss. That is what life is. But the writing exercises that Ms. Davy gives is good tools for any writer and helps find clarity and acceptance of your memories and conditions.
Each chapter has a subject such as recalling a special moment. Davey will recall one of her own, then include many quotes from her class participants recalling their special moments. Each chapter will conclude with a section called "Now, It's Your Turn." Much like a homework assignment, the reader would be given guidelines loosely given. A suggestion would be "I remember when________" or "When I hear ______, it reminds me of____"
I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys writing and if you allow it to, removes writers' blocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly 'user friendly' workshop under one cover, August 16, 2009
Talking and writing about a problem can be genuinely cathartic and of positive benefit for anyone dealing with the stress of illness or injury. That's why "Writing For Wellness: A Prescription for Healing" by journalist, author, and cancer survivor Julie Davey is so much to be appreciated. Covering every aspect of the writing process from getting started, to the various categories of writing, to sharing with others, and more, "Writing For Wellness" is so much more than just another 'how to' instruction manual, it is a complete, comprehensive, deftly written, nicely organized, engagingly presented, and thoroughly 'user friendly' workshop under one cover that will enable anyone to utilize the personal processes of writing to work through their own traumas, whether they are physical or emotional, and to regain their ability to enjoy what life has to offer. "Writing For Wellness" is highly recommended for personal reference shelves and community library collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 14, 2008
As a caretaker of a spouse who is going through Chemotherapy, I took this Julie's class as something to do as well as having an interest in writing. I expected a class on writing a journal. However, neither the book nor the class revolves around a journal.

The book is excellent as so is the class. Although the book can be emotional it is also uplifting. There are many stories in the book written by cancer survivors.

I whole heartedly recommend this book to anyone who might be interested, not just those who have or have survived cancer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wriing for Emotional Healing, August 5, 2008
E. Cabral (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I found Writing for Wellness to be a helpful book to overcome my life changing experience from cancer. It allowed me to write what I cannot say ot loud. The book provides beginning sentence prompts which helps anyone willing to just wants to heal. No previous writing experience needed. Just a desire to heal the emotional trauma experienced by cancer, a terminal illness, or a traumatic event.

Writing for Wellness: A Prescription for Healing
Writing for Wellness: A Prescription for Healing by Julie Davey (Perfect Paperback - October 3, 2007)
$18.00 $16.02