Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 14, 2007
I have taught writing for the past five years utilizing the teaching structure, writing workshop. I have also taught teachers how to teach using writing workshop and this has been the most helpful book in training new teachers. It is an easy read with lots of timelines, teacher guides, quick summaries at the end of chapters and practical advice. There are a lot of books out there about writing workshop, but this one is concise, clear and enjoyable to read. This is worth the money! Enjoy :)
on August 2, 2012
I ended up returning the Kindle edition after realizing that I could not print the otherwise-reproducible forms from Appendix A. I tried highlighting and copying, but couldn't highlight the appendix pages themselves. Then, I futilely attempted to do a screen capture. I have been spoiled, I suppose, by my district's web-connected reading series, which enables me to print out reproducibles. I fully understand copyright restrictions, but Kindle needs to be brought into the current decade so that legitimately purchased reproducible forms may be printed in their intended format. PDF forms are fine with me.
on July 16, 2008
This book does exactly what it says. It breaks writing workshop down into its essential components and provides the reader with the basic formats of writing worshop. It doesn't give you all of the answers, but at the end of each chapter it provides points for "making it work in the classroom" and an entire chapter on troubleshooting potential problems. If you want to implement writing workshop and want an easy-to-read guide that provides your with the basics of workshop, then this book is the perfect starting point.
on August 27, 2009
I have spent lots of money on many writing workshop texts promising "the" approach to the WW. I should have saved around $120 and bought this book first.

Ralph does justice to a busy teacher looking for the core beliefs and structures to launch and sustain the WW. I read this book in two days and was ready to start my own WW the third day. He even provides the first day lesson, second day lesson, first week lessons, a WW's scope and sequence, tips on conference, assessment, and connection with reader's workshop.

This book along with Atwell's reading manifesto, "Reading Zone", are the two texts that structures my reading and writing workshop. I thank them for their clarity and emphasis on less if more.
on October 5, 2014
What can I say about this book? If you teach writing, you need to own it. Fletcher's style is very accessible and engaging, you feel like he's sat down to talk writing with you over a cup of coffee. It is all well-researched and field-tested best practice, but also a pleasant read that will give you much to think about in how you structure your own writing workshop with any age group of children, or even working with adults--supporting and respecting your writers no matter where they may be developmentally.
on September 11, 2010
After taking a Writers Workshop course I needed a "nuts and bolts" book to lean on for daily help! Ralph Fletcher's book is perfect day to day support to a writers workshop program.
on February 8, 2016
Writing workshops are a teaching strategy that aren't utilized as much as they can! This book outlines a lot of strategies and ideas of incorporating writing workshops into the students daily schedule. it also shows how to set this up in your own classroom, and be successful! A strategy you should incorporate into your routine!
on June 2, 2010
I am an English teacher who has used various incarnations of a writing workshop for around ten years. While the info in this book was ok for beginners, it offered me really no new or useful tips that I hadn't already used or read about in other sources.
on June 5, 2011
Not bad but VERY basic. I'm going into my first year of teaching and I already knew everything that was in this book. I don't feel like I gained anything useful from it. It's essentially a basic outline of the components of writing workshop. If you google 'writing workshop' you will gain way more useful information and ideas for mini-lessons that you can actually put into practice in the classroom. I would only buy this book if you have absolutely no knowledge or experience whatsoever with this approach.
on January 4, 2013
I chose this book to generate ideas on how to design a writing workshop for a high school classroom; however, much of the content and examples are geared toward elementary or middle school students.

This book, like many educational books, seemed only to offer common sense advice rather than something new. You can read the entire book in one sitting because it's written in such simple language.

Great ideas for elementary or middle school, but don't buy it if you teach above 8th grade!