5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Wonderful Series Opener
By: Anne Bishop

Published 18 months ago by Dianne Socci-Tetro

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected to love it, but sadly did not
2.5 stars. I've decided I need to put this one down and move on. I got 62% through and started skimming around 42%... I kept getting distracted and it was so hard to get through what I did get through. This book has stellar ratings. The overly gushing and high reviews somewhat confuse me. I must be missing something because it just did not click with me.

The...
Published 5 months ago by Sh3lly

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Wonderful Series Opener, February 28, 2013
By: Anne Bishop

I have not read another author that can world and character build like Anne Bishop does. Her Black Jewels Trilogy is one that I pull out to re-read at least once a year. This new series appears to be one that I am going to be doing the same thing with. She has written this with her usual realism and you tend to think, "I know these people" or "I've been to this town" while you are reading. Moreover, when you are done with the book, the book is not done with you. You will walk away wondering about the characters, how are they doing in their world now that you've finished the book.
You are also left wondering just when the next book will be coming out!

Meg Corbyn is a Cassandra sangue (Blood Prophet) and has run away from her keepers. And when I say `keepers,' I mean that literally. After all, Meg isn't even known by a name, she has a designation -a number - she is known as cs759 . She has never experienced anything ever that may stimulate her. All that she knows of the world was taught to her via pictures and edited film clips while sitting in a classroom filled with others like her. She is there for one specific purpose, to be a Prophet. One that needs to be cut/sliced in a very specific way to make her predictions. Since her keeper/Controller can receive huge amounts of money for her predictions, she is being hunted extensively now that she has run away. She has run right into Lakeside, a sort of town that caters to the Others but also in a small way to the Humans.

The Others - the terra indigene are shape shifters, vampires and Elementals that do not like, do not trust, do not need the humans. In this world, the Others rule and by that I mean that if the humans do something in this territory that the Others don't like - the human becomes a meal. After all Human Laws Do Not Apply here.

Anne Bishop has made the character of Meg a sympathetic one; she is a fish out of water and someone who might frustrate you if she never grew. However, grow Meg does and while she stays afraid of a lot of things even at the end of the book, she has very good reasons to be afraid. She has seen a vision of her own death after all.

Simon Wolfgard is the shape shifting well...wolf, that has hired her to be the towns Human Liaison/mail clerk and he seems to be regretting it as time goes on...he also seems to be getting attached to Meg. He does not trust her, but you can feel the interest sizzling at the perimeter of Meg and Simon's interactions. However, under Ms Bishop's deft pen, it is never obvious.

Naturally, there is more than one story line going on. There is a very interesting one involving a woman called Asia who is sending information about Simon and Meg back to someone she thinks wants to eventually do a TV show starring her. There are tons of characters.

There is a lot of sly humor in this novel also, for example, in one scene Simon is talking about Meg who had been playing a game with several of the wolves that involved her acting as prey. Simon thinks to himself - "Of course, listening to John whine about not being allowed to go out and play hadn't done anything for his (Simon's) own eroding self-discipline - especially because he could tell just by watching that Meg really did make a good squeaky toy."

Ms Bishop has added an interesting bit at the beginning of the book to let the reader know how this world evolved, how man became food instead of the top of the food chain. The Others are wonderfully written and not the kind of character you usually read about in this genre. They are not kind and misunderstood creatures. They are what they are and they make no apologies for it.

I don't know what more I can tell you about this book that wouldn't ruin the story for you so I will just end with this ---this is a fantastic book, it is one that you will want to turn around and re-read as soon as you are done with the first read.

One more thing I will say, this series is vastly different from The Black Jewels books yet it is similar in some ways. This book seems to be appropriate for anyone over 15 or 16. There is some strong and salty language. There is some sexual innuendo - not too overt though. There is some violence but not as much as you would think for a book like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional! Unique, Creative and Totally Enthralling - You Will Lose Sleep!, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Written in Red (Kindle Edition)
Meg Corbyn is a blood prophet but while that is a part of the story it is not THE story. This is a novel of multiple plots all taking place at the same time, the motivations of the individuals are myriad and the interactions are unlike most any other UF/PNR you have read.

Simon is an "Other" and what that means in this world is that he is NOT human and is not sensitive and misunderstood and there is no MINE moment at all in this story. Be aware, the wolves in this story will eat humans if they are provoked and I have not seen one looking for a mate ....yet.

Meg was considered "property" of some unseen entity (we assume human) and she represents thousands possibly millions of dollars to him with her prophetic powers. What this means is that getting her back becomes paramount to the story and the amounts of money are enough to motivate people to cross the "others" which has always been a very, VERY bad idea.

The "others" are the predominate race on the planet BUT the humans seem to forget or are unaware of that fact ...... and that is going to cost them ...a LOT.

The thing that separates this story from almost all others is partly the world Anne Bishop has created but it is a large part of how Meg who has no real personality manages to befriend these non-humans and the growing relationships that form.

I can't delve too deep into this story in a review without giving away a lot of information best discovered while reading the pages of this book. Suffice it to say that of the books I have read in the last year (200ish I would guess), this will be in the Top 10 if not the Top 5. It really is THAT good and if she was not writing a series, she could have added a few more chapters and ended this as an epic stand alone novel. There is no cliffhanger, it has an ending and leaves a few threads hanging that will build in the next book but this opener will be hard to top in the "can't sleep until I finish this book" category.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snarling werewolves who can be lured with cookies + spectacular deaths + blood prophecies!, March 6, 2013
Wendy Darling (LOS ANGELES, CA, US) - See all my reviews
It takes a lot to interest me in starting an adult urban fantasy series these days, so I was a bit hesitant when Written in Red landed on my doorstep. This turned out to be a happy surprise, however, because it ended up being a fantastic read.

Meg Corbyn is on the run. As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, she is able to see the future when cuts are made on her skin. This is a painful process in many ways, and she's desperate to free herself from those who have been profiting from her gift her whole life. She soon encounters Simon Wolfgard, a snarly, suspicious shapeshifter who takes her under his wing despite his better judgment.

What I loved: I liked Meg as a protagonist, and her attempts to fit into her new surroundings were well-written, particularly the subplot involving Simon's panicked, endearing nephew Sam. The secondary character are distinct and memorable, particularly the reticent Tess, who just might be more than she appears. Simon is fiercely protective of those he holds dear. And there are short but thrilling action scenes with spectacularly awesome deaths. I admit to being a little bloodthirsty, but really--I was wriggling on the edge of my seat as I was reading some of those scenes!

This book also has one of the most interesting depictions of werewolf culture that I've ever read. The way they interact with each other, the hierarchy, the thought patterns and behavior impulses--all these were well-thought out and integrated into the story, and were both a little scary and endearing in turn. These shifters are primed for action and much more in touch with their animal side than their human one.

--------------------------------

"You want us to save any meat for you?" Blair asked.

He wasn't human. Would never be human. "I want the heart. I'll come by for it later."

--------------------------------

But these wolves also aren't above some creature comforts now and then, and can also be coaxed with cookies. :D

A few things that could have been a little better: the villains could have been more complex. The strutting, on-the-make Asia Crane appears often, and yet she's more of an annoyance than a real threat. After such a long build-up, the climax might've been more drawn out. Meg's blood prophecies are pretty cool, so I would have enjoyed seeing more of that. And that cover--oh sweet mercy, that cover should be so much stronger.

I enjoyed this book so much, however, that those things didn't even matter in the end when there's great world-building, humorous dialogue, and genuinely touching moments here and there. I also liked that the book didn't fall into predictable PNR/UF patterns of relationship behavior between Meg and Simon, even though there's clearly an attraction. The way they get to know each other happens gradually, and it's going to be so interesting to see where their story goes in the next installment.

All in all, a strong start to a great series. If you're a YA reader who would like to try more adult crossover titles, this might work for you as long as you know it's not written in a wham-bam instant gratification kind of way. And if you're an urban fantasy fan, you have to check this out. I loved it--I hope you will, too!

** An advance copy was provided by the publisher for this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, yes. MOAR, please!, March 26, 2013
Mary (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Holy f-ing hell, this book was awesome. I started it after dinner on Tuesday, which turned out to be a horrible idea because I couldn't put the damn thing down and wound up getting about four hours sleep because of it. Seriously, it's been a really long time since I *couldn't* go to sleep because of a book (I tried...but wound up thinking about the story and sleep wouldn't come).

Half-frozen and on the run, Meg stumbles into Lakeside Courtyard -- a place belonging to the Others and beyond human law -- and spots the Help Wanted sign in the window. Safety. Shelter. A good hiding place. Reluctantly, Simon gives her the job if for no other reason than to assuage his curiosity about her. She doesn't *smell* like prey, even though she's human. Slowly but surely, Meg worms her way into the hearts and minds of the Others who call the Courtyard their home with her innate kindness and curious way of doing things.

Of course, that's just one plotline in this intricately woven tale. There's the story of Monty, the human policeman who's assigned as a liaison to the Others. There's the story of Sam, the orphaned Wolf whose mother was shot by humans right in front of him and who hasn't changed out of Wolf form since. There Tess, an Other of unknown origin; Henry the Bear and Spirit Guide; Winter, the odd girl skating on the frozen pond; Asia, the scheming human (god, I couldn't wait for her to get eaten because of her crazy shenanigans!); and so many more. Bishop is a master weaver, never losing hold of the threads of her stories, binding them all together into a fascinating tale.

Despite what many humans hope, these Others aren't the kind you'd want to sleep with...unless you had a death wish. Those who convince an Other to take them to bed have about a 70-30 chance of being eaten. And Others rule the world, allowing humans small pockets of land to live, to build their cities and go about their business. Cross an Other, step into their land without permission or an escort, do them a wrong and you're meat. Special meat (the butcher puts out a "special meat" sign and everything). The human police have no power over the Others or what happens to the humans who stray. The Others -- Wolves, Owls, Crows, Elementals, and more -- may take human form when it suits them but they are very far from human in their thinking and actions. They are terra indigene and they belong to Namid, the very land.

As for Meg, she's human but she's a special type of human -- a cassandra sangue, a blood prophet. When she slices into her skin, she has visions. Up until she escaped, she lived (if that's what you call it) in a place with other girls like her where every action was scheduled, where she was shown glimpses of the world but never got to experience it, where people paid a great deal of money for a cut on her and a prophecy for them. These prophets, once a perfect cut mars their delicate skin, are "rewarded" with pain, a prophecy and, eventually bliss (or death, if she bleeds out). They're worth more alive than dead and those who Meg ran from will do just about anything to get her back, including going to war with the Others.

You'd think, with 448 pages in this book, I'd be satisfied. But I want more. I want to know everything about this world. I want to immerse myself in it once again, to hang out at the Courtyard with everyone (no risk of them eating me, thank goodness). Anne Bishop created an amazing alternate world I will happily revisit again and again, a world filled with blood, violence and incredible yet savage beings who protect it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected to love it, but sadly did not, March 21, 2014

The concept was interesting, and I liked the supernatural creatures, I just didn't care much for Meg (this is the first time I was ever bothered by a Mary Sue). Nothing happens in this book. So much time is spent on mundane activities. Meg sorts mail and gives carrots and sugar cubes to the ponies who deliver the mail to the supernaturals (Others).

SPOILERISH I did enjoy how she helped the wolfchild, Sam, but I saw that coming a mile away. All the Others, who view humans as meat and monkeys, view Meg as special. She befriends even the scariest Grandfather vampire, who, not even other Others can get near. Also, Meg, as a cassandra sanguine, is a cutter. I've never seen that angle done in an urban fantasy type book before. Could be unexpectedly triggering for unsuspecting readers who self-mutilate. END SPOILERISH

I guess this one just isn't my book. Potentially, it seems to be right up my alley. But it wasn't, and I have way too many books in my TBR list to force myself to go any further. I feel kind of sad, but oh well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Written By Anne Bishop, You Betcha, May 14, 2013
So an Anne Bishop book is an Anne Bishop book is an Anne Bishop book, but there is a spectrum. On one end you have Good Anne Bishop -- "Heir to the Shadows" or "Queen of Darkness." Then you have Bad Anne Bishop, who gave us "Sebastian." Everything else falls somewhere in between. (Excepting "Daughter of the Blood," a rare sighting of the much-missed Extremely Good Anne Bishop.) The question becomes: where on this spectrum does her new book fall?

I'm happy to report that "Written in Blood" is closer to Good Anne Bishop than I've seen in years.

It's still very much an Anne Bishop book, as I think I've made abundantly clear, and if you're any kind of fan you know exactly what I mean. Will the heroine be a doe-eyed ingenue who brings innocence and sunshine wherever she goes, winning over the hardest of hardened hearts like a supernatural Pollyana? Yes. Will she possess ultra-rare and powerful magic that is as much a burden as a benefit? Naturally. Will the hero be broody and preoccupied with his personal demons, thinking of himself as monstrous and/or BE a monster? Of course. Will the main villainess be "slutty," ambitious, and dumb as rocks? Oh yeah. (Will anyone ever protest that one of those things is not like the other? Hah!) Will there be adorable animal companions resulting in mischievous hijinks? Will the hero keep comparing the heroine to some wuffly widdle mammal? Will there be a symbolic/literal devouring of a certain portion of the male anatomy?

... oh, Anne Bishop. I don't even have to ask -- we both know you won't ever change.

But as much as you or I (or maybe just I?) enjoy pointing out her little peccadilloes, Bishop at the top of her game is an undeniable treat. She can be a truly masterful talent in creating unique worlds, lovable characters, and sympathetic situations filled with believable tension. Is she at the top of said game with "Written in Red?" Not quite.

The world of "Written" doesn't land with the same surety as Bishop's better books. The prison for the blood prophets, where the heroine was raised, is promisingly dystopian, but we only get it in flashbacks. The action mainly takes place in the Others' Courtyard, which is like a cross between an urban fantasy theme park and Colonial Williamsburg. Here it's the rule of H.L.D.N.A. -- Human Law Does Not Apply -- and we are warned the Others have absolutely "no humanity in them." This would be more effective if the town square weren't filled with cute eateries and craft shops named with terrible puns. (The bookstore owned by the Other version of a werewolf is Howling Good Reads.) Which is not a knock on terrible puns. But when an Other vampire informs someone in search of lunch that they, too, "enjoy a good red sauce," I'm not sure if Bishop meant the reader to shiver or groan aloud. I did the latter, and feel it's an indication of the level of menace involved.

In fact, you could argue the Others are a little too likable. Certainly you can talk about Bishop's tendency to make her good guys Super Awesome Badasses and her bad guys Evil Terrible Sex-Having Colonizers Who Want to Kill Unicorns -- whoops, it's Special Ponies in this book. (Oh, what, you thought it was a figure of speech? Welcome to the worlds of Anne Bishop!) Certainly that's part of the appeal, in that she's tapping straight into our inner twelve-year-olds. But it shakes off even more of the nuance when the Others just want to live their lives, as opposed to the political maneuvering of characters like Saetan or Daemon, who carried their own damning sins. And while the good guys are the Others -- vampires and werewolves, yes, but more interesting is a bevvy of mythological and metaphorical figures -- the bad guys are... us. As in regular human beings in a very modern-looking world.

The story is that Others occupy the continent Thaisia. (Bishop, a world-building contortionist, erases the actual Americas and indigenous peoples, yet still has what seems to be a very token character.) When the human waves came they ate us, and so were able to take on our shape. Eventually a truce was declared: humans live in their own areas, the Others ditto. But the Others control the natural resources and the land itself. When human unrest breaks out and commits violence against Others, the consequences are on an epic scale -- we hear of the Drowned City, which is exactly what it sounds like. (This is why the book ends up drawing closer comparisons to the Dark Jewels trilogy. Remember landen vs. the Blood? Remember Zuulaman? Bishop is not digging too deeply into her bag of tricks.) Like I said, I get the appeal of absolutes, but it's hard to invest in them when the book's conclusion is that maybe -- just maybe! -- not all humans are rotten to the core.

This might go down easier if Bishop spent more time developing her characters. I miss, with an almost physical ache, the complex web of politics and inter-personal relationships of "Daughter of the Blood." There's none of that here. The Others might be scary -- well, scary-ish -- but they're contributing members of their community, every one. The humans we know of are slavers, pedophiles, or self-promoting politicians, with few exceptions. Those exceptions almost make it worse: we're not sure why any of THEM aren't full of hateful prejudice, they just aren't. Even Meg, the human heroine who finds her unique place with the Others -- is it because (like Jaenelle, like Surreal) the suffering she's endured has given her strength, adaptability, empathy? No, guys, she was born that way.

And yet I rated it pretty highly. Why? Because Anne Bishop doesn't care about varying her themes, or that we can see her id from space. Anne Bishop wants to tell stories about good-hearted girls and long-suffering boys, about the triumph of special people over small-minded and jealous ordinaries. She absolutely does that, this time entertainingly and with just a handful of sour notes. (I only felt the need to roll my eyes and physically gag ONCE!) Plus she has a knack for humor and imaginative delivery that makes the book almost compulsively engaging: I laughed a lot, and once I picked up "Written" I didn't want to put it down.

So four stars, because there's no shame in Anne Bishop's game. She's done better, but she's also done much, much worse.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing-- with character tropes Bishop has done before, and better, December 11, 2013
I wanted to like this book-- it has gotten a lot of good reviews and Bishop herself always comes off as a kind author who treats her fans nicely (unlike certain other authors)-- but I have to say I was disappointed in "Written in Red." I really enjoyed Bishop's original "Black Jewels" trilogy, but since then, I've found her work to have gotten weaker-- less imaginative and more focused on relationship issues that I frankly do not care a thing about, and "Written in Red" continues that trend.
The book has a promising enough plot, focusing on a woman who can see the future when her skin is cut, and her escape from the compound she was kept in and then trying to adjust to a somewhat "normal" life in a place filled with vampires, shape-shifters, and elementals. Unfortunately, it is hard to feel the tension that is supposed to be there because one of the main antagonists is hard to take seriously (doing all these things is going to help her become an in-demand actress in a P.I. show in Sparkletown!... seriously), or else is disrupted by a bunch of "cutesy" episodes-- Meg is clumsy again! The wolves are begging for dog biscuits!The book also suffers in that the things that have promise, interest, or appear to be building to something big-- the poison, the drug,the antagonist's plans for a puppynapping, the big climatic human raid at the end-- none of it comes to anything or not anything of real importance; the poison is discovered before it was ingested, the drug was only tested and did not have a big effect, the closest they got to puppynapping was being in the doorway, and in the big climatic scene at the end the only casualties are an unnamed hawk, a wolf that was mean to Meg, and a pony that was old and was obviously going to have to be put down soon anyway.
It did not help that I felt little connection with, or caring towards, the main characters in the book. Meg is a pretty typical Bishop heroine,innocent but with great power. Simon is a pretty typical Bishop hero, good-looking, powerful, alpha-male sort who is easily bossed around by the heroine. There is also a fatherly type character, a tough female character, cute animals, and a cute child wolf (who was overly saccharine for my tastes)-- all of them tropes that Bishop has used before, and which bring to mind other Bishop characters like Jaenelle, Damian, Satan, and Surreal, yet seem to lack both their depth and charm. I found the secondary characters to be more interesting than Meg or Simon, and thought Bishop played up Simon's alpha-maleness a bit too much.
"Written in Red" had promise, but it failed to deliver. I may look for the second one at the library, but I won't be paying for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I see a lot of potential for this series., March 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know for sure that this novel will evolve into one of a series, but I find it hard to believe that author Anne Bishop would not want to continue this world she has created, given how easily the continuation could come about. There are many directions for the characters to move in and there are definitely enough varied "Others" to keep things interesting. Meg Corbyn is the principal female human, but there are aspects of her nature which make her a very unusual human. I found it necessary to keep reminding myself of Meg's past so I didn't get impatient with her sweetness and innocence which bordered on complete unbelievability at times. Meg is not a strong heroine so if that specific type makes you give up on a novel, this book might not be the best choice for you. Meg does grow a little backbone by managing to survive all the traumas she goes through, but she started out the story so weak because of the past life she was running away from that the amount of strength she shows at the end of the story still might not be enough for some readers. Just be aware that this human female is definitely not following in the footsteps of most of her modern urban fantasy counterparts. Maybe a little more next time?

The characters in the novel who are members of the "Others" classification were much more interesting to me, even though the constant references to humans as "meat" did begin to pale about halfway into the book. There are wolves, a bear, a coyote, owls, crows, vampires, elementals, and an Other whose type is never spoken aloud. All of these characters will benefit from more depth concerning their natures and histories in future novels.

My main cause of slight irritation was in watching the Others be so isolated from the humans that they had adopted only a minor bit of technology, even to use for their own protection. It made the ultimate drama in the story difficult for me to enjoy. Okay, if you want to be isolated from humans go right ahead, but why not avail yourself of all of the inventions they have in order to better maintain that isolation from them. Simply eating them whenever you want to doesn't seem to be working out very well when they find it so easy to get into the compound. I've not read any other novels by this author so I don't know how she usually establishes her fantasy worlds. It could very well be that the first novel is simply a springboard for future expansions of this world and there will be giant leaps forward from here on out. I hope so because there were lots and lots of unanswered questions when this novel ended and the lack of depth was bothersome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good. Dark... but good., March 5, 2013
I really enjoyed this book -- for a lot of reasons. I can't recall the last UF book that portrayed monsters as, well, monsters. The Others in this world Anne Bishop has created aren't sexy. Or emo. Or anything like human. They see humans as monkeys... as meat. They eat them. And they make no apologies about it. There is a woman that comes into their world, though, that makes them see all humans are not created equal. Some may be worthy of their protection and friendship.

Meg is a cassandra sangue, a blood prophet. Women of her kind spend their entire lives imprisoned and bled for prophecy. But she uses her gifts to escape. She seeks refuge in the Courtyard, the land of the Others, and takes a job as their human liason. The Courtyard leader, Simon, senses something different about her. His wolf senses categorize her as "not-prey," though he doesn't understand why. It isn't until after Meg has wound her way into the affections of those who live in the community, that her true nature is exposed. Then, they must all band together to protect her from the humans who want to get her back under their thumbs.

The only very small criticism I have about the book is that Meg is a little too-good-to-be-true. The book does acknowledge, though, that her emotional innocence is part of her heritage. And she is just so damn likeable!

Simon is the male lead, but I wouldn't call him the hero in the traditional sense. You can clearly see a bond forming between him and Meg, true, but this isn't a romance. (Maybe later? I would like that!) It's a about the way this woman plants the seeds of change in the Courtyard community with her goodness. Her simple kindness and positive approach manages to break down the prejudice the Others feel toward humanity. As the story unfolds, we see the characters among the Others become richer and more developed through their interactions with her. Yet they don't lose their edge. We never forget they are vastly powerful or that they are killers. Simply put, she becomes theirs.

The secondary characters are plentiful and add so much to the story. By the time the book was done, I felt like I knew the beings who inhabit the Courtyard. I cheered for them. I rallied for their defeat of the humans who turned out to be an entirely different breed of monster.

The tone is dark and intense. There's plenty of tension and action. I was 100% invested, and when it was over, I was so disappointed that there was no more to read. I'm really looking forward to taking the next step on this journey!

4.0 out of 5 stars very unique take on vampires & werewolves, May 15, 2014
I loved this story, and appreciate the world building this author did. The "others" were so very different than what you read in the majority of books about vampires and werewolves today. Far, far more "real" to me. For example, their very common view of humans as "meat". Fresh meat. I don't like it, as a human, but it resonates as what it would really be like if a werewolf walked amongst us in real life.

Loved their complete lack of understanding of humans. They knew enough to get by, and take advantage of the things humans did that they liked. But you never lost sight in this book that they were NOT human, and not even close to human.

I liked the heroine in this book, her innocence, and her struggle to figure out the real world. As isolated and sheltered as she was, did some parts maybe come a little too easy to her? Maybe so, but you never forgot she was determined to make a life for herself and never have to experience her previous "home" again.

For those looking for a paranormal romance, this ain't it. Look elsewhere. There are hints of a romance to come, but our heroine was not ready for that yet. It actually worried me, all thru the story, I was thinking - "is the author going to go there? If she does, how can she make me buy into it? There's no way this gal is ready for a sexual relationship." and so on. I'm glad the author kept her moving along at a rate of growth that was believable, I appreciated it.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series. The author blew my mind by taking such over done concepts and creating something brand new. I'll have to seek out some of her other books as well to see how she did with those that are more in the high fantasy tradition, from what I saw of the blurbs.

Written In Red: A Novel of the Others
Written In Red: A Novel of the Others by Anne Bishop (Mass Market Paperback - March 4, 2014)
$7.99 $7.19