Wusthof 4183-7 Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Santoku Knife, Hollow Edge
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Japanese-style cook's knife designed for chopping, slicing, dicing
- Alternating hollows on blade's sides prevent food from clinging
- Blade, bolster, tang forged from single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Tough polypropylene handle with full tang and traditional three rivets
- Made in Germany
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Always wash and dry (or hang dry- if you have on of those fancy metal magnetic strips for storing knives) immediately after your cooking as the metal can and does get brown (I'm assuming rust) spots on it easily if left whet overnight / for several hours.
Well worth the price as it halves your chopping/slicing/prep work in half time (once you master the basic knife techniques- searchable on many cooking sites/ you tube videos), personally, it's been a lifesaver for dicing onions, mincing garlic/herbs, and chopping veggies for soups and sides.
The only thing that keeps it from being 5 stars for me is that the handle could be a little more comfortable. They have put a slight edge on the grip and I'm aware of it rubbing on my palm while using. The blade is really handling the big chores very well.
I cook alot of stir fry - sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. This means a fair amount of cutting, dicing and chopping of many different items from hard and soft vegetables to beef, pork or chicken. For many years, I struggled with cheap knives I had either received as a wedding present or bought from a large department store. In the end, I was sawing the food rather than cutting it; it was a chore rather than a pleasureable part of the cooking process. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the last knife I would need.
During my search, I discovered a few things you may find helpful:
- understand what you do in the kitchen and only buy what you need. It's easy to get sucked into buying a full set of 8, 10 or 12 knives. You don't have to think about it and voila! - everything's there. Granted, you will save money, but I contend you'll end up with knives you don't need. I strongly recommend buying knives separately as you discover you just can't do without that XYZ knife. Ex: I bought the 7" Classic Hollow Santoku and a small classic paring knife as a set. I found a I need a smaller utility knife for cutting sandwiches, etc... and purchased a Classic 5" knife. I can accomplish 99% of my cutting tasks with these 3 knives.
- Your first knife should be either a Santoku or Chef's knife. These knives are the workhorses of the kitchen and will be used for a majority of your cutting tasks. Once purchased and used for awhile, you can better determine what will make your life easier and go after that.
- "Handle" the knives.Read more ›
The Wusthof Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife combines several ideas that combined, make slicing vegetables into precise pieces. This looks nice, but also lets the food all cook at a quick and similar amount of time. Be aware that a Santoku knife is NOT MADE TO CHOP THROUGH BONES or frozen foods! Despite a small similarity, that is best left to a Cleaver.
The high "wall" of the knife blade makes for quick slicing and chopping. The identations or "kullens" reduce friction and suction, preventing food from sticking to the side of the blade.
The Wüsthof Classic 7-Inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife is just slightly bowed to facilitate the rocking motion needed for what this knife is made to do.
Also realize that with the intermingling of knife designs one Santoku is not EXACTLY like another. Compare any knife design before purchase! And don't feel bad if you end up with a few from the Big Boys, and even a few left over from your grandmother!
I enjoy knives. I know alot about em. BUT especially enjoy USING knives. I do that mostly in the kitchen like everyone else.
This is a purchase I'm happy with!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Loved my first one so much, I bought a second one. Holds its edge and is weighted just right for my hand.Published 2 days ago by K. D. Abramson
terrific knife: very sharp, great quality, very light, comfortable handle, and just the right size for sling veggies, fruit, and smaller items.Published 11 days ago by Amazon Customer
I bought this for my wife and she loves using it. It has perfect balance and the sharpness is truly amazing. Read morePublished 18 days ago by Roger James
great knife, decent price. Would recommend getting professionally sharpened at least yearly.Published 25 days ago by sdninja